Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2007, 04:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax AF200T

Does anyone have any experience with the AF200T flash?

I'm looking to pick up a couple of them at auction.

I don't mind that they don't bounce or swivel. I intend to use them for off-camera flash only and can freely point them wherever I want. I'm mostly interested in the four levels of manual power settings.

02-04-2009, 06:49 AM   #2

Af 200 t

Mike

I have one in front of me right now and I bought it in 1986! It is working fine and gives good results. I find it very flexible with the manual and auto settings and it is simple to use. Buy them if they are not too dear!

Regards

Steve
02-06-2009, 01:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you very much, Steve. That question was posted in October of 2007 and I did go on to pick up two of them and have made quite a bit of use of them for off-camera shooting. They are indeed flexible and simple to use. I paid about $10 for one and about $20 for the other.
02-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Mike,
Yes, i have the AF200T that you advised me to buy :-)

It was good advice. In manual it lets one step Full, half quarter, eight. I just took 4 flash photos, one at each of those steps and sure enough, the light was clearly stepped down one to the other.

the best part is no instructions needed, just tweak the slide switches on the back and go. easy to store and use. I also have the AF200S which you didn't advise me to buy. It only has a high or low setting, no steps, so the T is the better model.

The seller for the T didn't advise me that it had battery stains on the inside. But it works fine and so i'm ok iwth that.

Best wishes, Phil

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Does anyone have any experience with the AF200T flash?

I'm looking to pick up a couple of them at auction.

I don't mind that they don't bounce or swivel. I intend to use them for off-camera flash only and can freely point them wherever I want. I'm mostly interested in the four levels of manual power settings.

02-06-2009, 04:31 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Mike,
Yes, i have the AF200T that you advised me to buy :-)

It was good advice. In manual it lets one step Full, half quarter, eight. I just took 4 flash photos, one at each of those steps and sure enough, the light was clearly stepped down one to the other.

the best part is no instructions needed, just tweak the slide switches on the back and go. easy to store and use. I also have the AF200S which you didn't advise me to buy. It only has a high or low setting, no steps, so the T is the better model.

The seller for the T didn't advise me that it had battery stains on the inside. But it works fine and so i'm ok iwth that.

Best wishes, Phil
Hi Phil

Does the AF200S work OK on your K10D?

I have a K20D and was wondering if there would be any problems with using the AF200S on it. I realise that it will be only useable in Manual mode.

Cheers

Kevin
02-07-2009, 04:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You can use the AF200S in either manual or auto mode. The advantage of the AF200T is that it has four manual settings rather than two, making it much more useful for off-camera work. Since the AF200T is a very inexpensive flash, I would recommend to pass on the S model and go ahead and get the T if you can find one. If you plan to use the flash on-camera, I would suggest going for the AF280T instead, as it has both bounce and swivel capabilities and can be used in Auto mode to good effect.

Stains on the battery contacts can range from merely annoying to damned near disabling. Fortunately they can often be cleaned up with some vinegar and a bit of scrubbing.
02-09-2009, 12:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by trublubiker Quote
Hi Phil

Does the AF200S work OK on your K10D?

I have a K20D and was wondering if there would be any problems with using the AF200S on it. I realise that it will be only useable in Manual mode.

Cheers

Kevin
I think your concern might be whether it has too high of voltage. I checked the voltage on all my flashes, and the AF280, 200S and 200T are all 7 volts or less, forget the details at this point. And they work fine with the K10D in manual or "automatic" mode when on the hotshoe. They just won't do PTTL. with my CActus radio trigger, they have to work in manual only when remote.

But go with Mike's recommendation on the 200T, the power levels are nice.

Phil
02-21-2009, 07:44 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I think your concern might be whether it has too high of voltage. I checked the voltage on all my flashes, and the AF280, 200S and 200T are all 7 volts or less, forget the details at this point. And they work fine with the K10D in manual or "automatic" mode when on the hotshoe. They just won't do PTTL. with my CActus radio trigger, they have to work in manual only when remote.

But go with Mike's recommendation on the 200T, the power levels are nice.

Phil
Thanks for the info Phil.

Unfortunately, I'd already pushed the "Bid Now" button on fleaBay so I'm now the proud owner (?) of a 200S, albeit in excellent condition. I'll look at using it off-camera for macro work.

Cheers

Kevin

10-12-2010, 07:52 AM   #9
Veteran Member

so does this flash have TTL capability?
10-12-2010, 09:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Yes it is a TTL flash.
10-12-2010, 10:16 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Sweet , I found one locally for 10 bucks!
11-06-2010, 01:51 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It is a TTL flash. Unfortunately, your Kx is not a TTL camera.
11-06-2010, 07:31 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Luckily it was sold
11-06-2010, 02:09 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I have one of these and use it off-camera with a radio trigger, something Ive just started doing, but with good results so far. The T model is much rarer than the S, so Ive just bought another T I found. Ive paid 15GBP for each one. Anything above this model stops being dirt cheap if bought from a proper retailer, so these are a real bargain, and on a tripod they can be aimed anywhere for bounce, so not a problem.
11-13-2010, 03:28 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I shot this year's dance recital using one of my two AF200T triggered with Flash Waves:

Pentax K20D
S-M-C Takumar 35/2
Pentax AF200T

Just mounted it on a travel tripod, set it out in the fourth row center stage, and roped off the seats. I think it did a very respectable job, especially for a $10 flash.