Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2011, 11:03 AM   #1
Forum Member

Recommended wrist straps for k7/5?

Hi everyone,

I've been looking for a tough, leather wrist strap for use with my k5 and primes Does any have any recommendations?

It seems Gordy's camera straps are highly recommended are very strong (see how he tests them on his website here: gordy's camera straps )

Are there any others worth looking at? Obviously there's loads on ebay but theres not much mention about how tough they are.

As well as being strong, I'd love a strap that is secure and doesn't slip off easily. I wonder if there are any straps that tighten like the nintendo wii wriststrap:

Bonus marks if the wrist strap looked kind of cool or retro ;-)

04-26-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting. Honestly, even thought the K5 is lighter a wrist strap would be tiring for me.
04-26-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I think that those kind of wrist straps are more for point-n-shoots. Pentax sells a self-branded model that is not bad. For the best one, IMO, look up camdapter.com. I've also posted a review of it on this very site, if you're interested.
04-26-2011, 11:52 AM   #4
pbo
Veteran Member

Gordy's strap is really good - but as noted, will be tiring with K-5. It does have a locking mechanism of sorts - a rubber ring that slides along the length of the wrist strap to make sure the strap doesn't slip out of your hands; it's held in place by friction between rubber and leather, not a lock like on that wii thing.

04-26-2011, 12:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

It's not leather, but I use the Clik-Elite wrist strap just so I have protection if I drop my camera. It's comfortable.
04-26-2011, 01:41 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm very happy with my Op/Tech strap, which I think is the SLR Wrist strap combined with the Super Classic Uni-loop strap.
04-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's the Op/Tech I use. Not a retro look, but only $9. It has worked great, is very comfortable, and has the adjustable tightening. It also has quick release clasps, so you could also set it up to add on a neck strap or something...

04-26-2011, 06:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

People do like those Op-techs, as well as the fancy-branded tether types such as are mentioned here. I've been meaning to pick up an Op-tech one some time, myself.

(That camdapter stuff does look classy, for the type, and you get real leather there, too. )

I do think someone else makes a leather wrist-tether type like the Gordy's, but I'm blanking on the name. (Who's the guy that makes like all those leather half-cases for the Leica crowd and all? I think someone was raving about one of his... Luigi. I think he makes some of those, too. )
04-26-2011, 06:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
(That camdapter stuff does look classy, for the type, and you get real leather there, too. )
I have 2 of these, and mine are the no-longer offered kid-skin leather. They're really soft and supple. I'm pretty sure I had to pay a little extra, but I can't remember how much. I've been using them a while now and remain completely satisfied.
04-26-2011, 07:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I have the Camdapter wrist strap in Natural with the Manfrotto QR plate option and I also ordered the shoulder strap in Natural as well. A bit expensive but it does make a nice combination and looks very classy. (or else it says that you have too much money to burn!!)
04-27-2011, 02:51 AM   #11
Veteran Member

http://www.leicatime.com/a000-STRAPS-page.htm

Or there's these. Appears to spend more time making goods than working on the web page, which is a good thing. Not cheap though.
04-27-2011, 12:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I use an Op/Tech wrist strap, but only when I travel light, with the body (no vertical grip) and a Limited lens. As stated, a wrist strap is not practical with a heavy camera/lens combo.

Here are my strap solutions, not classy nor cool, but convenient and comfortable.
04-27-2011, 04:50 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone, I'm just using the strap as a just in case the camera slips outta my hand thing. The Optech one looks a bargain for the price, think I'll get that and one of the Leica-time ones which a look very sexy. Too bad theres no brown leather half case for the k5 :-( or is there? :P
04-28-2011, 01:15 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vincechu Quote
Thanks everyone, I'm just using the strap as a just in case the camera slips outta my hand thing. The Optech one looks a bargain for the price, think I'll get that and one of the Leica-time ones which a look very sexy. Too bad theres no brown leather half case for the k5 :-( or is there? :P
Yeah, the neoprene's very suited to the wrist-tether purpose: especially if you're tending toward a heavier rig, I should think. (At least in terms of if you actually do slip, I'm not sure my wrist would appreciate a heavy load dropping on a little cord... Probably nothing so bad as to be worth dropping a camera to avoid, though. )

It'd be interesting to see the two types compared, there, what's easiest to get in and out of, etc.

Nice leather's of course, nice. Does look like it makes a good combination, mtansley, though. I see a package deal that doesn't look too bad at all: more than I could swing, but a hundred bucks isn't a ridiculous expenditure, particularly if you spend a lot of time with cameras, and if it's good and comfortable. I think by the time you bought a plate like that and any old strap and hand strap, you wouldn't be paying too much extra for a little swank.

(I've got a nice handbag that I'd be tempted to cannibalize some leather from for things like this, I just like this leather in particular. Though I keep thinking,
'Nah, I should just replace the strap and have a nice handbag,' which I then don't get round to doing cause nothing really goes with it.... but I do love the color... Really would make nice stuff for the likes of a hand strap.
(I've gotten hold of a nice flash bracket I'd like to grind out slots for hand strappage on, there's potential for that to add up to a fairly heavy rig for me, so some real support would be good to have. )