Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2011, 06:03 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Macro with focus rails?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Anyone use these 2-way or 4-way focus rails for macro photography? I'm wondering if they would be a worth wild accessory when using a tripod.

2 Way Macro focus rail slider fr Canon Nikon Pentax K4G | eBay

04-27-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I bought one from DinoDirect, but I haven't had an opportunity to use it yet.

FOTOMATE LP-01 Aluminium Alloy Macro Focus Rail Plate - DinoDirect.com
04-27-2011, 08:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I bought one from DinoDirect, but I haven't had an opportunity to use it yet.

FOTOMATE LP-01 Aluminium Alloy Macro Focus Rail Plate - DinoDirect.com
Thanks for the link, that's the best price I've seen of these focus rails. I just ordered two of them so as to get side to side movement as well.
04-27-2011, 08:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How much precision do you get with those cheap focusing rails? Im planning on getting one or two to build my stacking setup with + a newport linear stage (Newport 430 Linear Stage + Starrett 1" Micrometer -Mint | eBay) to attach the stage and camera with

04-27-2011, 09:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
How much precision do you get with those cheap focusing rails? Im planning on getting one or two to build my stacking setup with + a newport linear stage (Newport 430 Linear Stage + Starrett 1" Micrometer -Mint | eBay) to attach the stage and camera with
How precise, I wouldn't know until they arrive but I would imagine they would be much more precise than physically moving the camera back and forth while being hand held or picking up and moving the tripod back and forth. As for the Starrett micrometer, I suppose this is your idea of a jest but taking pictures with a DSLR do not need precision on the scale of machining tolerances, unless you have a portable scanning electron microscope handy in your kit bag.

Thanks,
04-27-2011, 09:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
How precise, I wouldn't know until they arrive but I would imagine they would be much more precise than physically moving the camera back and forth while being hand held or picking up and moving the tripod back and forth. As for the Starrett micrometer, I suppose this is your idea of a jest but taking pictures with a DSLR do not need precision on the scale of machining tolerances, unless you have a portable scanning electron microscope handy in your kit bag.

Thanks,
I am not jesting at all. Try doing this:

with what you have just purchased and come back to me :ugh:

172 images stacked ^ Perfectly normal for this type of photography
04-28-2011, 12:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
I am not jesting at all. Try doing this:

with what you have just purchased and come back to me :ugh:

172 images stacked ^ Perfectly normal for this type of photography
Impressive image! Is this your holy grail of macro photography? What was the stack depth between the first and last image or can you make an educated guess? I've seen your stacked macro images and they are quite impressive as well. I am more interested in achieving precisely focused, unstacked image out in the field with the Tamron 90/2.8 and I am certain these cheap rails would be more than sufficient for that.

As for the precision of these focus rails, without actually inspecting the unit I can't say. But if the rack and pinion's pitch is fine enough without slop, and if I can find a larger knob to replace or press over the pinion adjustment knob, I don't see why I can't make adjustments in increments of 5 degrees or so per revolution of the pinion. I've shot with a view camera enough where fine focusing is done under the dark cloth, with an 8 -10x loupe pressed against the ground glass while minutely moving the lens standard back and forth. I doubt these focus rail rack and pinion is as precise as my Linhof 4x5's, but one can only hope.

Thanks,

04-28-2011, 01:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

For the price the "Fotomate" rail would seem to be an OK piece of kit; it can move the camera back and forth with 0.5-0.25 mm precision which is much better than what you can do moving the tripod, and would seem to add to the accuracy that can be had by operating the DFA 100 focus ring around (or beyond) 1:1. I would suspect that the Manfrotto 454 is much better still (but also much more expensive): it would seem to have a 'fine tune' adjustment where a 270 deg knob rotation translates to 1mm movement (per an Amazon review).
04-28-2011, 01:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

But macro slides don't make good stacking equipment right?
My experience is that they produce POV variations between frames and the software I used didn't do well with detail under those conditions.

And so, I didn't pursue it, but I was under the impression that it was good for the initial adjustment, but that all stacking frames would be best taken with the focusing ring.

Or was I doing it wrong?
04-28-2011, 04:48 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I own that exact macro focus rail (the Fotomate). It is excellent. It is well made, sturdy, reeliable, with good friction and a locking screw.

The weakest link when using a camera mounted on such a rail fully extended is your tripod. Make sure your tripod head can bear the weight of the camera off-centered.

I took a few shots yesterday, I'll try to post them maybe tonight or over the week-end (it will be hard before that).

For the price you can't go wrong. I haven't used a macro focus rail from a more prestigious brand, but I have trouble seeing what more I could expect.
04-28-2011, 07:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
My experience is that they produce POV variations between frames and the software I used didn't do well with detail under those conditions.

And so, I didn't pursue it, but I was under the impression that it was good for the initial adjustment, but that all stacking frames would be best taken with the focusing ring.

Or was I doing it wrong?
I think they do John - I use Velbon rails - the change in FOV is so minute that it's easily compensated for by the software (I use Zerene Stacker). However for extending the DoF the adjustments are extremely accurate so stacking becomes much easier. Problem is keeping the (live) subject still for long enough !
04-28-2011, 08:00 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote

Or was I doing it wrong?
moving the focusing ring changes magnification, which is detrimental to focus stacking.

The stage I linked to is essentially what all of the great deep stacking macro photographers I know of use....
04-28-2011, 08:03 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Impressive image! Is this your holy grail of macro photography? What was the stack depth between the first and last image or can you make an educated guess? I've seen your stacked macro images and they are quite impressive as well. I am more interested in achieving precisely focused, unstacked image out in the field with the Tamron 90/2.8 and I am certain these cheap rails would be more than sufficient for that.

As for the precision of these focus rails, without actually inspecting the unit I can't say. But if the rack and pinion's pitch is fine enough without slop, and if I can find a larger knob to replace or press over the pinion adjustment knob, I don't see why I can't make adjustments in increments of 5 degrees or so per revolution of the pinion. I've shot with a view camera enough where fine focusing is done under the dark cloth, with an 8 -10x loupe pressed against the ground glass while minutely moving the lens standard back and forth. I doubt these focus rail rack and pinion is as precise as my Linhof 4x5's, but one can only hope.

Thanks,
No it is not my holy grail, just a new "style" to try out. The detail possible to achieve by use of deep stacking is astounding. I understand you point of view, but my subjects are way to small for a simple 1:1 macro lens. At the magnification I need, stacking is usually necessary to keep diffraction low and sharpness/resolution up.

edit: in case anyone missed it, that is not my image but one of John's many master pieces. It is a dead subject, as necessary to get that insane amount of detail. He also does decent stacking of living subjects, but only in the very early morning hours when they do not move much.
04-28-2011, 05:03 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks everyone, very helpful information. I ended up buying two from DinoDirect.
04-28-2011, 08:06 PM   #15
jpl

I saw that the focus rails linked in the top two posts are made with cross cut gears on the rack. I've seen other slightly more expensive focus rails ($30-$40) with gears cut at a 45 deg angle. Would the angled gears provide a more consistent motion? (less lash, better fine control???)