Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2007, 03:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Amazon...

I don't want this to sound like a commercial or nothing but I do have to say, for as much flaming as Amazon seems to get from people for whatever reason, they DO make shopping for a bunch of different things very easy. I finally decicded to break down and get another battery for the K10D, the Remote Control F and the LL-80 Divided Focussing Screen. I found them all on Amazon and paid Amazon but all the items came from different storefronts, Cameta, Adorama and some other joint, they handled all ths shipping and coordinated everything and the ALL arrived here today at the same time.

Honetsly I can't see why Amazon gets a bad rep, with service like that, that is why I have been using them for years now.

10-31-2007, 03:58 PM   #2

Definately share your positive thoughts on Amazo. I think Amazon has improved by weeding out some of its week third party vendors.

Amazon is definately a better structured way of buying items over ebay. Usually anything over 100 dollars I will only buy on ebay if it is from a brick and mortar store. For example I just bought a lense 80-320mm for the k10 from a photo/camera store in Maryland - has viable website and staff you can reach, gives me more comfort in the product.

Also, I like how amazon only charges you when the items are shipped. That and the trackingm gives you a sense on where your goods are at. Again much better than ebay by trying to negotiate shipping charges and insurance. Also, it seems some people low price the actual product and overcharge on shipping to even out the sale to a higher number - seems a little shady. Just my thoughts.
10-31-2007, 04:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I didn't realize Amazon had a bad rep. I have never had a problem with anything bought from Amazon...
10-31-2007, 04:55 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I buy 1 book once a year from Amazon USA. They always tell me to wait 2 weeks. It always arrives in about 1 week. They have been terrific.

11-03-2007, 12:29 PM   #5
Forum Member

My only complaint is one I could fix, but I'm too lazy to do it! I hate the emails they keep sending me almost daily on this and that for sale. One of these days I need to get there and change some setting to cut off those emails.......<G>
11-11-2007, 08:58 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Too much shipping costs

I have used Amazon for a long time and they are the first place I go when I want to learn what people think about something or to try to find gifts.

However, when I am trying to buy camera stuff on Amazon and they have you buying 5 things from 5 different vendors all of the sudden my inexpensive purchase gets about $30 worth of shipping charges. If I can buy things directly from Amazon, or often just go and buy things from a camera shop like Tri-state or B+H the shipping prices are often nothing or very little.

The other thing that is starting to annoy me about Amazon (which is related to the first) is that it used to be that I would order books and use the free shipping and they would come quite fast but now there seems to be some delay built into the system for free shipments. Often they won't get processed for a week. Last week I ordered some books and was going to have to wait until the end of the month to get them! I upgraded my shipping to the lowest paid level and got them in a week.

I know you get what you pay for but one of the things I used to like about Amazon was the free, quick shipping.

Not sure what annoys other people about Amazon but that is what annoys me!
11-11-2007, 03:27 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by therightpic Quote
I have used Amazon for a long time and they are the first place I go when I want to learn what people think about something or to try to find gifts.

However, when I am trying to buy camera stuff on Amazon and they have you buying 5 things from 5 different vendors all of the sudden my inexpensive purchase gets about $30 worth of shipping charges. If I can buy things directly from Amazon, or often just go and buy things from a camera shop like Tri-state or B+H the shipping prices are often nothing or very little.

The other thing that is starting to annoy me about Amazon (which is related to the first) is that it used to be that I would order books and use the free shipping and they would come quite fast but now there seems to be some delay built into the system for free shipments. Often they won't get processed for a week. Last week I ordered some books and was going to have to wait until the end of the month to get them! I upgraded my shipping to the lowest paid level and got them in a week.

I know you get what you pay for but one of the things I used to like about Amazon was the free, quick shipping.

Not sure what annoys other people about Amazon but that is what annoys me!
Both UPS and USPS Priority Mail rates have gone up dramatically within the last few months.
Free shipping is for 5-7 day processing on orders over $25, which is what it has been for the past few years I have been shopping there. I'm surprised there is any free shipping at all.

I've bought several thousands of dollars worth of stuff over many many orders. I have sent exactly 1 customer service email to them which resulted in them sending me a pre-paid return label via email within 20 minutes of my submission, and sending a replacement item at the same time via 2-say shipping.
11-11-2007, 04:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As some of you correctly pointed out, Amazon is a broker for many 3rd party vendors. If the 3rd party vendor has poor service, it makes Amazon look bad. Some people don't make the distinction and slam Amazon itself for poor service/quality, etc. Sure they are responsible to a point, but it's only fair to also put the blame on the source of the problem too.

11-12-2007, 08:48 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Just adding my most recent transaction info.

About 18 months ago, I ordered three DVDs. I was in a spending mode back then and had several orders going, all with the free 5-7 day shipping. So, I never really noticed until last night (shopping again), when the page for one item indicated I already ordered it. I did some paperwork searching to see I was, in fact, charge $27.45. However, I never got the order or an email that it shipped as I do for every other Amazon order.

I sent an email to Amazon customer service last night stating I did not get the order or an mail about it shipping, and asked if they still had a tracking number for the order.

The email reply from them stated they have processed a refund today. That is excellent service if you ask me, regardless of what happened to the original order.
11-13-2007, 03:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I don't understand it either. I've had nothing but good experiences dealing with Amazon. Last year, I was just surfing them not looking for anything in particular, when I came across a Canon pro9000 printer on sale for an unbelievably low price including free shipping (the slow boat to China shipping of course). Not only did they process the order immediately, but they overnighted it, and I had it the next day.

I bought my FA135 f2.8 used from their auction section, and a bunch of books and CDs. I have never had a problem at all.
11-14-2007, 08:01 AM   #11
Forum Member

amazon is good

I have 1 advantage with amazon, here in KY, and near me in WV, I have several warehouses that ship to my home, so, overnight is not really a problem, but 5-7 days is not bad time either to receive an order seeing hat I still have tracking if it comes by fedex or ups. USPS is slow, but it gets here eventually. it is also nice that if I am looking for a particular book, I also can order it thru amazon with a flat rate shipping of $3.99 for about any title that is used. my first book I ever ordered said the book was used, even better when it arrived, the book was brand new with just a bent corner, just from the shipping, but the spine was stiff. I will always do a lot of shopping thru amazon, but some camera equip, I still may get from B&H video if they can ship it cheaper. adoroma.com usually is a few dollars different from B&H, but the shipping is usually a heck of a lot more.
11-14-2007, 10:45 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I buy from Amazon a lot. In fact, I have their credit card and I subscribe to Amazon Prime. The "free" 2-day shipping and cheap 1-day upgrade has me hooked and spoiled.
11-16-2007, 11:44 PM   #13
Pentaxian

My last update...

Last night I ordered 2 DVDs (The Beatle's "Help!" - (finally!), and "From the Earth to the Moon - The Signature Edition" semi-documentary for 1/2 off) using the free 5-9 day shipping. It shipped today...