Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2011, 06:36 PM   #1
Forum Member

Do circular polarizer make an image softer

Hi,

I just purchased a marumi super dhg circular polarizer and decided to take some test shots today. All of my images came out less sharp than without the CPL. Is this expected? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

Last edited by charleychen; 05-01-2011 at 08:13 PM.
05-01-2011, 07:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you post examples of with and without?

It's certainly possible that the filter is causing problems.
05-01-2011, 07:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by charleychen Quote
Hi,

I just purchased a marumi super dhg circular polarizer and decided to take some test shots today. All of my images came our less sharp than without the CPL. Is this expected? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.
I have that exact same filter and get great results with it. There's definitely nothing inherently wrong with that filter. Is it possible to get a bad copy of a filter?
05-01-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

What focal length of lens, too? I believe some can have problems with extreme wide angles. It's also possible the polarizer's cooked. Does it look sharp enough when you look through it?

05-02-2011, 12:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
It's also possible the polarizer's cooked
As in warped?
05-02-2011, 04:17 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Anything you place in the light path will affect the image. Filters will almost always make images softer, dependent on the quality of the filter.
05-02-2011, 05:25 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Anything you place in the light path will affect the image. Filters will almost always make images softer, dependent on the quality of the filter.
Indeed. A good quality filter will have no visible effect, but any filter WILL degrade your image.

05-02-2011, 05:58 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Indeed. A good quality filter will have no visible effect, but any filter WILL degrade your image.
True and as you point out the degree of degradation matters a lot. It is certainly possible to have degradation that is non-detectable for practical purposes.

The light loss of at least one stop due to the filter resulted in at least twice the exposure time or a one stop larger larger aperture - the first would increase the probability of motion smear and the second might result is a fuzzy image due to a lower f-stop - either of which could be the reason for a softer image.

I suggest doing a good test - like put the camera on a tripod & shoot a photo of something with a crisp edge: shoot with 2 sec delay with and without the filter at the same f-stop. It'll be helpful if the edge is tilted with respect to the optic axis a bit so at least one point on it will be in focus - critically compare the best focus with and without the filter.

I'd like to hear the results.of such a test.

Last edited by newarts; 05-02-2011 at 12:00 PM.
05-02-2011, 11:41 AM   #9
Veteran Member

If you have a good filter (and Marumi is a good brand), the loss of sharpness may be negligible.

But with a polarizer, you also lose contrast, and that can be perceived as you lose sharpness too.

The sum of two effects make things appear worse than they actually are.
05-02-2011, 02:55 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
I did not do any structured testing. I'll try to follow a bit more rigor and post my findings.
05-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by charleychen Quote
I did not do any structured testing. I'll try to follow a bit more rigor and post my findings.
Great! Thanks... whatever your findings they will be of benefit to the group.
05-03-2011, 06:25 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
I suggest doing a good test - like put the camera on a tripod & shoot a photo of something with a crisp edge: shoot with 2 sec delay with and without the filter at the same f-stop. It'll be helpful if the edge is tilted with respect to the optic axis a bit so at least one point on it will be in focus - critically compare the best focus with and without the filter.

I'd like to hear the results.of such a test.
I do that with all my filters before deciding to trust them or not.

The ones I keep are the ones where I cannot see a difference.
05-03-2011, 07:36 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
As in warped?
Well, sometimes the foil between the layers of glass can be degraded, a bit of delamination in there, etc: I say 'cooked' cause of how I discovered this phenomenon, ...by absentmindedly leaving a polarizer out in the hot sun for, *koff,* Well, Maybe a day and a half.