Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2011, 09:12 PM   #1

Sandisk extreme sdhc card confusion....

So I have a 32gb class 10 sandisk extreme sdhc card. I bought another body and purchased a second identical card from Adorama that has a picture and description identical to the one I already had. The box came today and what arrived was a 32gb class 10 sandisk extreme SDHC VIDEO card, that says 8 hours on it with and "HD video" at the top. what is the difference????? The first card records video, this video card sys it is for DSLRs and will record photos....did Sandisk make a change since I got the other card a while ago or did Adorama make a mistake? The sandisk site provides no clarification and is extremely un-user friendly. Thanks for any clarification -LE

05-02-2011, 09:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I recently got two 8gb Extreme class 10 cards from B&H. They also say HD video... I think it's just how they are marketing their new cards so people who don't know much can realize these cards can (easily) handle full HD video recording.
05-02-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Probably just different labels from different period. Why not test their r/w speeds for any difference.
05-02-2011, 09:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Does the card look like this:
SanDisk® Extreme® HD Video SDHC? Cards | Camcorder Memory Cards

Sandisk does make a "HD Video" card that is a slower class 6 card. I would check to make sure there is not a mixup (of course labeling does change, but none of the class 10 Extreme cards pictured on the internet have that labeling). Funnily enough, Sandisk does not list a 32GB capacity of that version. I'd be careful here, it is possible that things got mixed up (or worse that a return where someone had swapped the real thing for this fake got mixed into their stock). Do check it's performance speed wise, and if you have any other worries, just call Adorama.

05-02-2011, 10:54 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Remember that the "Class x" specs are very loose and only guarantee a minimum transfer speed.
05-03-2011, 12:47 AM   #6

Original Poster
It looks exactly like the card MacTalk posted a link to but says class 10, not class 6....silly that there is a card being sold that is not even listed on the sandisk website.
05-03-2011, 11:12 AM   #7
REM
Forum Member

The link macTak provided is for a class 6 Extreme in the camcorder section of the site. There is a class 10 Extreme in the dslr section of the site. I agree, it is very confusing both the site and their marketing approach.

My first set of cards from Sandisk were Extreme III, 30 MB/s edition, class 6 (I think Class 10 wasn't officially out yet). The next set I bought where Extreme class 10. It looks like their marketing is now focused towards HD digital video.

Either way, I have no issues with their products and they usually have sales/rebate offers, so I have been happy with their products. I just look for the capacity and the rating class I want which usually ends up being in the "Extreme" something or other product line.

05-04-2011, 08:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Loren E Quote
It looks exactly like the card MacTalk posted a link to but says class 10, not class 6....silly that there is a card being sold that is not even listed on the sandisk website.
Bizzare. I would contact Sandisk (or Adorama) just to make sure it is the real thing, since the internet does not provide any evidence of just such a card. But Sandisk is generally rather bad about putting new labels on their cards from time to time....
05-05-2011, 11:20 AM   #9

Original Poster
will do, thanks for the input folks
05-11-2011, 08:14 AM   #10
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by Loren E Quote
..I..purchased a second identical card from Adorama that has a picture and description identical to the one I already had. The box came today and what arrived was a 32gb class 10 sandisk extreme SDHC VIDEO card, that says 8 hours on it with and "HD video" at the top.
You are most welcome to email me directly: Helen@adorama.com if this remains unresolved
05-21-2011, 03:54 PM   #11

When I buy from B&H or Adorama I do so without worries. But I also find Sandisk's site to be the pits. They have so many overlapping labels it seems of their products that it makes me uncomfortable buying them anymore. I find the labels are different in just about every retail outlet I go to. Now with the recent disclosure that fully 30 % of all Sandisk cards are counterfeit I will be staying far away from them

One-Third of the SanDisk Memory Cards on Earth are Counterfeit
05-22-2011, 04:32 AM   #12
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by greg pb Quote
When I buy from B&H or Adorama I do so without worries. ....
Thank you; we appreciate the feedback