Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2011, 09:07 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Good enough backpacking tripod?

I need a light-weight tripod for a series of back-packing trips this summer...and of course I'm on a budget.

The Slik Sprint Pro II is $90 on B&H compared to $427 for a Benro CF that weighs more. (both with ball head)

I've seen a few posts on here saying the Slik is decent if not extraordinary. Does anyone have enough experience with the Slik Sprint Pro II to say whether it would meet this need or will I end up regretting it?

Also is there a way to attach a hook to the Slik to add a little weight for stability?

05-06-2011, 05:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've got the 3 way pan version of the Sprint Pro II. It suits my needs just fine but it got it more for its versatility, portability and price rather than support and ultimate stability. The heaviest lens i have is a 55-300.

You can drill a small hole crossways through the lower end of the centre post and slide through a caribiner (shackle / bolt / rope / bungee cord or whatever).
Hanging your backpack full of lenses adds plenty of stability and as a bonus keeps it off the wet grass.
05-07-2011, 06:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

vanguard

What about a vanguard tripod?

the alta+ series has a model that gets down to 14"!

I have a feisol 3442 with a kirk bh3... I used it on three cameras and it has proved to be an excellent investment.
05-08-2011, 10:39 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks guys. That Vanguard looks pretty good. I hadn't seen it before. About 0.6kg heavier than the Slik, but folds down smaller and has great reviews on B&H. I wonder if it would work ok with a 55-300.

I'm thinking that feisol setup is a bit too expensive for me, dmort.

Last edited by tm01; 05-08-2011 at 10:40 AM. Reason: FF4 browser bug!
05-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Most people don't spend enough on a tripod until their third or forth one, which is when they wise up and realize that a good tripod is a worthwhile investment.
I've been using a 3 section Feisol Tournament with their CB-50D ballhead for a couple of years now, and absolutely love it.
I even like the ballhead, which is something that, up until i got the Feisol head I hated, having tried a couple of Manfrotto junkheads ®.
Interestingly, the Tournament is my 4th small tripod, so I was a slower learner than most.
05-09-2011, 06:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I want to echo Wheatfield, I took the general advice of the camera forums and spent reasonable money on my FIRST tripod. I've had through two previous dslrs and I can't forsee anytime when I would get rid of it. It is lightweight, short enough to fit into a carry on rolling suitcase but robust enough for a decent sized lens. With the center column in, you can get your camera up very high, with the center column out, you can save weight and get closer to the ground. I'm really happy with my feisol. Check out the CT-3441S with a CB-30 ballhead.... it can fold back on itself making it even more compact.

That being said, if I get another tripod, it would probably be that crazy small vanguard alta+ I can't believe how compact it is. But then you need a decent ballhead and that always adds weight. Acratech?
05-09-2011, 06:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

And also, I said I have the 3442, I don't I have the 3402 with optional center column. Oopps! too many 3's, 4's, 0's, and 2's to keep straight.

05-11-2011, 09:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dmort Quote
That being said, if I get another tripod, it would probably be that crazy small vanguard alta+ I can't believe how compact it is. But then you need a decent ballhead and that always adds weight. Acratech?
The lightest decent ball head I have found so far is the Novoflex Ball 30. Something like half a pound, but carries 4-5 kgs. A very good match with my lightweight Velbon Sherpa Pro 540 CF travel tripod.

And the Novoflex Ball 30 is surprisingly cheap on top - you just sacrifice bells and whistles, like an independent pano function.

Ben

Last edited by Ben_Edict; 05-11-2011 at 11:47 AM.
05-11-2011, 09:35 AM   #9
Forum Member

I have a vanguard Lt series with a ballhead and I love it. It was about $150 two years ago.
05-11-2011, 11:10 AM   #10

Original Poster
I knew someone would bring up the three tripods rule! Alas, I feel that I am doomed to repeat it. I just can't spend that kind of money right now. This will be my second; my first very cheap tripod is in pieces. So I'm just looking for something lightweight and "good enough" to take backpacking.
05-11-2011, 11:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tm01 Quote
I knew someone would bring up the three tripods rule! Alas, I feel that I am doomed to repeat it. I just can't spend that kind of money right now. This will be my second; my first very cheap tripod is in pieces. So I'm just looking for something lightweight and "good enough" to take backpacking.
The problem here is:
- if it is lightweight enough for backpacking it is either cheap aluminium alloy or expensive carbon fiber.

Cheap alloy will not stand up for long against the rigours of backpacking, YOU may lose a vital screw, because it is not secured against self-loosening or something will break or bend and you are left with a cheap useless heap of scrap metall.

There are some not too bad CF tripods, which may use older CF technology (6 layers instead of 8, not so nice finish) and can be found cheaper. Look out for the "Fancier" brand or one of its OEM cousins (Walimex, Amvona etc.).

On the other hand it might be wiser to go with a good table top tripod or clamp now and wait with the real tripod, until you have saved enough to buy a decent one.

Ben
05-11-2011, 01:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Get a monopod. I recently bought a Gizzo GTMML3260B for €42 and the Manfrotto Monopod-Head 234 for another €22. Lightweight package with less than 2lbs and 20" length.
05-11-2011, 01:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I have carried a Feisol CT-3342 (but not the newest with "rapid locks") for several backpacking trips, with a medium PhotoClam ballhead (can't remember the exact number). I think both combined, they are around 3 lbs, maybe a tough more. You can see it below, attached conveniently to my Ospey Aether 70, on top of Cold Mountain, NC.

05-12-2011, 12:58 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
The problem here is:
- if it is lightweight enough for backpacking it is either cheap aluminium alloy or expensive carbon fiber.
Unfortunately weight/quality/price is often the trade-off in backpacking. I'm willing to sacrifice features to reduce weight and price and I'm only looking for reasonable durability. In the triangle formed by the points of weight, quality and price I'm further from quality and midway between weight and price. At least I'm going into this without expectations of it lasting forever. The question is whether there is something that has good-enough quality (or rather durability) to survive long enough.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
On the other hand it might be wiser to go with a good table top tripod or clamp now and wait with the real tripod, until you have saved enough to buy a decent one.
I've done that before, I don't want to sacrifice more opportunities again.

QuoteOriginally posted by kheldour Quote
Get a monopod. I recently bought a Gizzo GTMML3260B for €42 and the Manfrotto Monopod-Head 234 for another €22. Lightweight package with less than 2lbs and 20" length.
I have one and took it on my last (non-backpacking) trip. It did help, and the speed at which it could be deployed was beneficial in some cases. The nice thing about it for hiking is at least if you don't mind it being a little heavier it doubles as a walking stick. I'll probably end up using it if I don't find a tripod I'm happy with.
05-13-2011, 04:31 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Don't buy

The tamrac zipshot tripod. I bought one thinking it would be great for my lightweight panasonic g2. It was the worst money I've ever spent on a piece of camera gear. Flimsy.

Forgive my asking, but why not a gorilla pod? I'm not wild about them, but they seem pretty well suited to backpacking. A gorilla pod paired with a decent ball head might be an ok solution.

And for my money, for the purpose of backpacking, I'd still go with the vanguard alta+.... Under 14" Carbon Fiber, $250! Pair that up with the novoflex 30 (as suggested earlier) and you'd have a pretty good tripod, that wasn't crazy expensive, that is still pretty lightweight.