Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2011, 11:49 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
Most tablets do not have USB host mode support, so can't pull data off the camera.

Also, nearly all only have MicroSD slots, so unless you use a MicroSD-to-SD adapter in the camera, you won't be able to place the camera's card into the tablet.

Also, a typical tablet has about as much storage as an SDHC card. Cheap netbooks have 250GB or 320GB hard drives nowadays.
Yeah, about the only company you could probably look towards would be archos - they generally put host capability in their products, but unless you're going to spend double (or more) than a netbook, you'll be getting only 16-32gb of storage on-board.

05-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Other pluses for netbook use...

You can evaluate images in the evening then adjust your approach to the next day's outing. When I went to Italy last year, I used a mass storage device and wished I had a netbook, instead. A netbook is very flexible. Besides photog uses, most hotels offer free internet connections so you can access your pre-stored schedule, make ticket purchases, update reservations, etc.

+1 for the netbook recommendation,

Cheers... M

Last edited by Michaelina2; 05-07-2011 at 04:03 PM.
05-06-2011, 08:24 PM   #18
Inactive Account

+1 for netbook
I have an Asus EeePc which has an SD slot and 160gb harddrive. Cost like $300 a year ago and its tiny about same size as an ipad just 3x thicker.
It even uses the same mains plug as the cameras battery charger which is a bonus.
It will be coming with us on our 2 1/2 week overseas trip- will just stay in the hotel room in the safe.

Last edited by Tonto; 05-06-2011 at 08:37 PM.
05-07-2011, 04:20 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
wolverine

I also have a wolverine and have used it on several occasions. It is a very elegant solution to your problem. This is EXACTLY what this device was designed to do.

NaCl(simple to set up and operate)H2O

05-07-2011, 05:23 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
I would leave everything at home and just just buy more SD cards.

Safest way to store photos as long as you dont lose them and they're pretty cheap now.
The first CF card I bought was 256MB for $250 !!
I agree. This is the best way to go. No need to worry about transfering images while on the go.
05-07-2011, 02:41 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I find it difficult to evaluate pictures on the lcd, maybe because my cameras have only the low-res 2.5 and 2.7" varieties. But I'd also want to back up the pictures, so I'd take a netbook or notebook computer with enough storage to hold the pictures.

You'd need a lot of cards for a multi-week trip. That's not to say you might keep all those pictures, but it's hard to edit on just the lcd.

Paul