Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2011, 11:15 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Quick Release Recommendations Needed

I have a Gitzo portable tripod with a Gitzo G1177M Series 1 ball head. Can I have recommendations for a high quality quick release plate?..... Thanks

05-05-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have Manfrotto 322RC2 Joystick head which I purchased recently and absolutely love t.
It is great!

Manfrotto Heavy Duty Grip Ball Head - Joystick
05-05-2011, 12:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I standardize on Arca-Swiss compatible QR clamps and plates. They used to be costly, but recently the costs have been coming down quite a bit.
05-05-2011, 05:13 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
I have Manfrotto 322RC2 Joystick head which I purchased recently and absolutely love t.
It is great!

Manfrotto Heavy Duty Grip Ball Head - Joystick

I just purchased one of these for a long term project of sorts I'm working on. Though I've only used it a few days now, I have to say I'm very impressed thus far. So very fast to use, and totally secure. The only other ball head I own (or have ever used for that matter) is an ancient Arca Swiss Monoball I bought at a garage sale almost 30 years ago. That still provides service on my "big" tripod and works great, but I have to admit this new Manfrotto is certainly fun to use.

Also, there are L brackets for Manfrotto quick release plates made by Camdapter.

Camdapter - L-Plate Adapter

I bought one to go with this new ball head and it's excellent ... And will fit every camera I own to boot, though it doesn't always provide access to port covers and such.

05-05-2011, 07:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I use the Stroboframe 300-QRC since I also use the Stroboframe Flash Bracket.
Used with an anti-twist plate, the QR plate is positively locked on the camera.
I have a QR mount on the tripod and the flash bracket so I can either mount and dismount the camera on either the flash bracket or the tripod.
If I add another plate under the flash bracket, then the flash bracket can quickly mount/dismount on the tripod too.
..which reminds me I should get another plate just for this..
05-06-2011, 04:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hi raymeedc,

I started out standardizing on Manfrotto RC2 QR bases and plates, and if you're lenses are under 3-4 lbs, this is a very quick and secure system that's relatively inexpensive and readily available.

When I started shooting 300mm f2.8 class and longer lenses, I found the RC2 system still secure, but less stable, and since I wanted to eventually start using gimbals and pro spec ballheads, switching to Arca Swiss compatible clamps and plates offered much more versatility and unmatched stability. When I made the switch, they were quite a bit pricier than they are now.

I'm assuming that you're going to be fussy since you've chosen Gitzo, so I'd just go with Name Brand Arca- Swiss clamps and plates. You can't go wrong with RRS, Acratech, or Wimberley, depending on what type and/or other support gear you might eventually be interested in. All of their CS reps could probably help you get what you need and they have been, in my experience, very professional, knowledgeable, and helpful in answering questions about the gear they make and sell.

One thing to look for are clamps that allow drop-in mounting of the plates. Some of the cheaper clamps don't open up enough and require you to slide the plate in from the side, and this can get too fiddly in the field. Of course, you have to remember to tighten the clamp every time. One advantage to screw in clamps is that they will allow the use of any plate from any mfg that is anywhere close to A-S spec.

If you need speed, the lever type clamps are very quick, but are fussy about the dimensions for plates, and I believe it's a good idea to buy plates from the same mfg as the clamps.

Scott
05-06-2011, 06:55 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
OK, so what anti-twist Arca-Swiss plate can be recommended? I found the Markins PG-32 for $50 that fits the K20D, K10D or K-7. Any universal type that does the job and is maybe even cheaper?

05-08-2011, 01:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I decided to return the head & replace it with another Gitzo head (G1178M) which comes with the quick release plate I need..... problem solved. I've just now returned from B&H after that successfully completed mission.