Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2011, 04:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

How to pack a camera bag

Hello everyone,

I couldn't find a thread on this topic per say. Just curious if there is a preferred way or more correct way of packing a camera bag. My situation,

I have one camera body, and 3 lenses. Nothing really special. DAL 18-55, DA35 2.4, and Sigma 70-300 APO. I have others primes lenses however they will not be accompanying me on most trips. Due to small bag size.

How I currently am packing the lens is on the bottom of the bag with the mount side facing the bottom of the bag. All three lenses are like this. My reasoning is the lenses are heaviest items especially the Sigma. Good idea?

The body is separated from the lens and has the body cap on it. However it is sitting on an angle. Should I have the lens mounted along with the body?

When the bag is on my back the lenses are vertical with the glass facing the sky or upwards. Mount facing the floor. Should I have the lenses sitting barrel side when I have the bag on my back?

Any suggestion or correction to how to pack would be greatly appreciated.

05-07-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I dont think it matters what side the mount is facing. I prefer not to have anything closer to the ground-level when the bag is positioned vertically. I have found the Tamrac Adventure 7 and believe that it would be adequate to pack the lenses you have listed. I have also carried a 70-200 in the top compartment and a small 10" laptop as well.
05-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I usually advocate for putting lenses in your bag mount-up: It's both a lot more convenient for shooting, and also puts lens hoods between any glass and the ground. (Also it means if you're not religious about putting lens caps on before changing lenses, everything's a lot better and cleaner that way, too. Rear caps are also much less likely than lens caps to come loose and do a little dance on the nearest optical element. )

And I *usually,* but not always, carry cameras with mounted lenses facing down in the bag. (That varies a lot depending on the camera/s and the bag: it's nice if the primary body/lens can have its own little nest, but I tend to wanting to use smaller bags that end up pretty tight. Lens-down saves a lot of bulk, though in bigger bags or if I were a bigger person, I'd worry less about that. I find that my way is a *lot* more convenient if you're mixing film and digital, too, but I always did it that way, before digital, anyway: I'd have a primary body, usually loaded with B&W and another with color or slower film or whatever combination made sense for the occasion. Now it's arranged a bit differently: now digital does many jobs and the second body is loaded with B&W for backup and when it has to be film. )
05-07-2011, 06:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Here's a similar thread from a couple years ago:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/52929-how...es-please.html

05-08-2011, 09:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. So it would seem from the pictures in the other post that there really isn't a set way to place the lenses. People seem to have it all mixed with some vertical while having others on the side.

I am religious on lens caps and make sure I place them on before putting into the bag so that isn't an issue with me. I'm just worried that placing them front element downward would be hazardous since it seems weaker than the rear mount with the metal and all. They are capped the rear mount so if any hard hits it is more likely the rear cap with break or the metal mount will absorb most of the damage. That was my thought reasoning.