Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2011, 10:59 AM   #1

Crumpler bag sizes

I need an intermediate bag, something between my [tiny] Crumpler Muffin Top 4000 and my [enormous] Lowepro Stealth Reporter D400 AW. Since I like the padding and style of the Crumpler, I'm leaning towards getting one of their Messenger range.

The question I wondered if folks here could answer is which of the Messenger Boy bags (I'm thinking either 4000 or 6000) would fit my 'walkaround kit':
  • Sigma 10-20
  • DA35 Limited
  • DFA50 Macro
  • DFA 100 Macro non-WR (Samsung)

Cheers!

05-09-2011, 04:24 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I didn't see the bag(s) you're referring to on the Crumpler site but about a week ago I was looking for a new camera bag and Crumpler came up as an option. I looked at the 5, 6 and 7 million dollar home messenger style bags. After lots of research and videos, I settled on the 7MDH (comes in tomorrow).

From what I found online, the 5 or 6 would probably work well for you. Here's what I hope to fit in the 7 with some room to spare for an upcoming lens or two.

K-5 w/ grip and DA* 50-135mm mounted
K-x w/ DA 35mm f/2.4 mounted
DA* 16-50mm
F 50mm f/1.7 (to be replaced by DA* 55mm)
11" MacBook Air
various cables, batteries, sd cards, etc.

You might look on YouTube for review videos to get a better idea. Hope this helps!
05-09-2011, 04:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrCynical Quote
  • Sigma 10-20
  • DA35 Limited
  • DFA50 Macro
  • DFA 100 Macro non-WR (Samsung)

Cheers!
I own the 5MDH, 6MDH and the 7MDH. Yes crazy, but hey, I like the crumpler bags and they're the only camera bags my wife tolerates.

That list of gear would comfortably fit in the 5MDH. The 10-20 would have one of the 3 compartments (or on camera), 2 primes would fit in another (one at least needs to be in it's bag to prevent marking against the other lens), with the camera and 1 lens in the middle.

Problem is if you want a flash as well then you'd need a 6MDH (which is exactly why I have both the 6 & 5). The 7MDH is too big as a bag to shoot from IMHO, it is good as a store for camera gear at home, or a carry a whole lot of gear to from and from a location. I recently went on holiday and took most of my gear in the 7MDH, and used the 5MDH to walk around all day. There's absolteuyl no way you could walk around for more than an hour or so with a full 7MDH.
05-09-2011, 05:00 PM   #4

Original Poster
Unfortunately Crumpler seem to sell different bags (or perhaps name them differently?) in Europe than they do in the US and Australia. If it's just different names then that would be ideal, since I could then just track down the UK equivalent of the 5MDH - we've got lots of Crumpler dealers here in fact our main Pentax dealer (SRS) stocks them. On that point I'll actually email them and ask whether they know what the 5MDH is called over here!

As far as stacking is concerned I've got the soft cases (which are fairly substantial) for the DFA50 and DFA100, plus the leatherette bag for the DA35, so they should be OK stacked in whatever combination.

The issue of weight is the problem I have with the Lowepro (well-constructed bag though it is): it can hold the kit I mentioned above plus a Metz 48 flash, 18-55, 50-200, grip, charger, filters, spare battery, and a couple of M42 primes. You can guess how much that lot all weighs and how much fun it is to cart around (especially on my university campus, which is built on a fairly steep hill :P)

05-09-2011, 05:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I forgot to add, I bought some optech double sided end caps which are very handy for stacking lenses in camera bags. I now use these rather than the leather bags as it is much faster to access them this way. In the 5MDH I've had a FA31 stacked on a DA55-300 in one compartment and it (just) fits. Also that bag can fit my K-x with DA*50-135 mounted. Any lens much taller though would start to be a tight fit.

Hope that gives you an idea of size.
05-09-2011, 05:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Crumpler make great bags no doubt... However their bags are deffo smaller than their online descriptions make them out to be...

If you can get to a store with the gear you intend to carry... do so...
If not... Order larger than you think you'll need...

And if you can get your hands on a 'Bunnyman' snap its hand off... Bloody brilliant bag!
05-09-2011, 09:51 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
If you can get to a store with the gear you intend to carry... do so...
If not... Order larger than you think you'll need...
+1 - You can lighten your load if you want but you can't fit more in the bag if it just won't fit. That's one reason I went with the 7MDH.

05-10-2011, 04:12 PM   #8

Original Poster
It turns out that Crumpler EU are essentially a separate operation from Crumpler Everywhere Else, and the bag models are actually different rather than simply having different names. However it does give me a starting point - just need to find the European model which is similar in size to the 5MDH or 6MDH!
05-12-2011, 11:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrCynical Quote
It turns out that Crumpler EU are essentially a separate operation from Crumpler Everywhere Else, and the bag models are actually different rather than simply having different names.
Not sure what an 'MDH' is but I have a 'MuffinTop' (comes in 4 or 5 different sizes plus a rucksack version) and a Bunnyman (got from ebay secondhand and brilliant)...
I've seen the design called 'MessengerBoy' a lot in UK based online retailers too...
05-12-2011, 11:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Just found this Bunny Man Navy Colour Photo Bags Special Offers in UK. which gives some info on other similar models to the Bunnyman... Glad I paid only £26 on ebay for mine tho... OUCH!