Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2011, 09:04 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Jupiter-9 K-mount adapter question

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

First off, apologies if I posted in the wrong section...

I've recently purchased a Jupiter-9 85mm lens (JUPITER-9 AUTOMAT 85mm f2 lens Kiev-10 Kiev-15 NEW (eBay item 350247255434 end time 13-May-11 12:39:02 AEST) : Cameras Photo).

I shoot with a K-7, and I've been trying to do some research as to what/whether I'll need to get a K-mount adapter for it, and haven't been able to find anything conclusive.

So my question is, will I need to get an adapter to be able to shoot with this lens on my K-7?

05-12-2011, 09:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I honestly don't know if there is a direct PK adapter, however if memory serves, I think there was a Kiev-10 /15 bayonet to m39 adapter. But a quick search didn't reveal anything on eBay
05-12-2011, 09:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You've got some problems:

Kiev-10, Kiev-15 register, mount conversions? (Page 1) - Manual Lens: Usage - Manual Focus Forum
05-12-2011, 09:43 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Erk. This might be a problem. Anyone else had any luck with the Jupiter 9? I'm presuming if such an adapter existed, you'd have to screw on said 'fabled' Kiev-10/15-to-M39 onto an M39-to-K-mount adapter? I'm pretty sure I've seen Jupiter-9s in the Soviet Club, I may ask there also...

EDIT: Just found this one! Thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Adapter-Kiev-10-15-body-M39-Leica-Zenit-lens-451-/370435...#ht_784wt_1139

05-13-2011, 12:01 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
If I can't find a solution to this, I'm going to have to ask the eBayer for my money back... good luck trying to explain my incompetent research methods to him!
05-14-2011, 01:50 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Rainy Day Quote
The adapter you found is for mounting M39 lenses on Kiev bodies. You'd need the opposite.

Lenses in Kiev Automat mount are cheaper than their M42 counterparts because they cannot be used on other cameras than Kiev 10 or 15.

Even if you managed to change the mount , the problem of controling the aperture would remain. At best, you could use the lens at full aperture only but J9 are quite soft @ f2 (soft-ish @ f2.8 and sharp @ f4).

I'm afraid it will be difficult to obtain a refund as the seller is quite clear that this version of the lens requires à Kiev 10 or 15 to be operated ...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

If you decide to bid on another J9, be sure it is M42 (M39 version exists in 2 flavors, for slr and for rangefinder, the latter being incompatible with your K7)
05-14-2011, 04:13 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First off, apologies if I posted in the wrong section...

I've recently purchased a Jupiter-9 85mm lens (JUPITER-9 AUTOMAT 85mm f2 lens Kiev-10 Kiev-15 NEW (eBay item 350247255434 end time 13-May-11 12:39:02 AEST) : Cameras Photo).

I shoot with a K-7, and I've been trying to do some research as to what/whether I'll need to get a K-mount adapter for it, and haven't been able to find anything conclusive.

So my question is, will I need to get an adapter to be able to shoot with this lens on my K-7?
Your J-9 features the rather unique Kiev bayonet mount used on the Kiev-10 and Kiev 15 cameras. The auction title and description is pretty clear on this and a few minutes with Google would have saved you some grief. Arsenal (the maker) also made an adapter that would allow use of Zenit M39 lenses on this camera, but looking at the design of this adapter, it is obvious that the registration distance is less than that on the Zenit. As such, it is not possible to make an adapter that would allow infinity focus with your lens on an M42 or K-mount body.

Sorry you had this bad experience. Perhaps you could find a Kiev 15 TEE in good condition to go with it and do a little film shooting?

Steve

P.S. I will update my review of the J-9 to include the cautionary note that while this lens was made in many mounts, only the M42 and M39 (Zenit) versions can be adapted to K-mount.

05-15-2011, 04:34 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The seller was quite agreeable thankfully, and has mentioned that he could sell me an M42 variant, otherwise he would refund my money. If he's not a dodgy seller, I'll be all good! (But I doubt he is, judging from his feedback scores)

05-15-2011, 04:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The seller was quite agreeable thankfully, and has mentioned that he could sell me an M42 variant, otherwise he would refund my money. If he's not a dodgy seller, I'll be all good! (But I doubt he is, judging from his feedback scores)

That's great news!