Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2011, 05:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Single 52-72 step up ring or 52-72 set?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Would it be better to use a single 52-72 step up ring for using a 72mm filter on a 52mm lens?--versus, 52-72 step up ring SET? This would put the filter closer to the lens--wouldn't this be better?

I could buy a 52-72 step up ring for $1.99 including shipping on ebay. I could get a 49-72, 55-72 and 62-72 as well. This way I only have to buy one 72mm polarizing filter and one set of 72mm ND filters right?

05-18-2011, 10:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I believe placing filters closest to the lens is relevant to ultra wide angle lenses to prevent vignetting. Using creative filtration set up such as the Cokin gel filters usually means the filters are fair distance away from the front element. I would recommend getting a set of stepping rings that goes from 49->52->55->58->62->67->72. The set I bought went up to 77mm and was about 10.00 including shipping. Stack all of the rings together, mount the 72mm CPL on the stack and attach/detach the smaller rings depending on the lens you are using.

Thanks,
05-18-2011, 10:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks a lot excanonfd! That makes sense So should I buy a set of ND + Polarizing filter @ 77mm or 72mm? Also do you know of a good quality, affordable ND filter set that is 72mm/77mm?
05-19-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I would recommend buying a 77mm CPL filter and hold off on the screw-in ND filters. For the ND and graduated ND's, you should think about Cokin P series or equivalent gel filter sets. I use Cromatek brand, they are not around anymore but there is an eBay seller who has quite a large stock of filters. I believe the quality is as good as Cokin gels but at fraction of the price. The filters are 3x3 inch, slightly smaller than Cokin P but you can use the vast array of Kodak Wratten 3x3 gel filters with the Cromatek filter system.

Cromatek Enlarger Starter Kit Filter System 6 Filters | eBay

Hope this helps,

Edit: The above link is for a darkroom filter set but he is the eBay Seller from whom I bought the Cromatek filters. You can browse his inventory online but it's best to contact him and try to get a bulk price for a number of filters, holder and adapter ring.

Last edited by excanonfd; 06-15-2011 at 09:00 PM.
05-19-2011, 11:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cool are those plastic or glass? I really like the idea of glass because it is so scratch resistant and will last forever.
05-19-2011, 08:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Most present day square/rectangular filters are plastic. There have been some glass filters with Wratten filters laminated on them but they are prone to breakage because there is no frame around the glass to protect it from minor knocks. These gel (plastic) filters are like any other optical instrument, treat it with care and they will last a very long time.

Thanks,
05-19-2011, 10:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Was looking into the cromatek filters earlier on ebay--thanks for the tip. I might get them, but I read the ND filters by cromatek aren't fully neutral and changes the colors.

05-20-2011, 10:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I usually prefer to go with two filter sizes: the biggest of my smaller-threaded lenses and the biggest of the bigger ones. (I used to go with 55 and 72mm, though now I've got a 77mm threaded lens, so I'll have to work something out. )

One thing you could do, though, is get hold of that step-up ring set, but buy one step-up ring to bridge the most of the distance, (Say, a 52-72mm or somewhere in that neighborhood, then you won't have to use the whole stack, but you can be very adaptable if that's what you want. ) I generally don't consider it a hideous expense to have a smaller size of filters, partly cause I have few big-thread lenses, and also cause smaller filter sizes just aren't that expensive.

Square filters are very nice if you use a lot of them: I've been in a rather non-filterey mood in recent years, though, so I haven't pursued it.
05-20-2011, 10:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the wonderful tip regarding having both 55mm and 77mm filters, and the bridge.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Square filters are very nice if you use a lot of them: I've been in a rather non-filterey mood in recent years, though, so I haven't pursued it.
I guess if you wanna do gradient ND filtering you'd need the square setup?
05-20-2011, 01:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geekette Quote
Thanks for the wonderful tip regarding having both 55mm and 77mm filters, and the bridge.

I guess if you wanna do gradient ND filtering you'd need the square setup?
It's really much better for that, yes. You can place the gradation right where you need it: so as long as you have time to set up, the squares really do work well for that. So if you *do* want to work with graduated filters, it also actually makes getting into a whole system like that pretty worthwhile. (The polarizers, I think you may as well get in a conventional type: to my experience, the ones for square-filter systems just aren't worth hassling with.)
05-20-2011, 06:10 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geekette Quote
Was looking into the cromatek filters earlier on ebay--thanks for the tip. I might get them, but I read the ND filters by cromatek aren't fully neutral and changes the colors.
I've read the Chinese knock-off of Cokin P ND filters cause colour shift (which was why I shied away from buying them). I haven't formally tested the Cromatek filters to see if there is any colour shift or not but what I have used them for thus far do not show change in colour. I am going to give it a shot to test the filters - I think a a patch of flower bed with many varieties of plants would be suitable for the test. I will let you know when I get around to it.

Thanks,
05-20-2011, 09:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
I've read the Chinese knock-off of Cokin P ND filters cause colour shift (which was why I shied away from buying them). I haven't formally tested the Cromatek filters to see if there is any colour shift or not but what I have used them for thus far do not show change in colour. I am going to give it a shot to test the filters - I think a a patch of flower bed with many varieties of plants would be suitable for the test. I will let you know when I get around to it.

Thanks,
Thank you excannonfd