Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2011, 11:35 PM   #16

Original Poster
I think the ticket will be extra batteries, but I am reading such mixed reviews on getting third party batteries and their quality.

I see the car charger is mentioned, of course I will be on an atoll though so no car...am I missing something basic in how these work or is a car necessary as the name implies? No roads or vehicles where I will be.

05-24-2011, 12:42 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The car charger will be needed to use a solar charger unit
Ive used 3rd party witj my k10 my k7 my olympus e300 and never had an issue
I sold 3rd party at retail for 25 years (alongside originals) frequently the main difference was packaging though a smaller capacity in ma was not unusual
05-24-2011, 07:31 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Loren E Quote
is there any difference in performance between them?
I did a study between the pentax oem and a couple of 3rd party batteries and there is a pretty big difference. I was averaging about 650 shots with the OEM w/o a grip and about 575 shots with a grip. The 3rd party batteries were giving me 400 and 350 shots respectively. This was over almost a years' shooting, about 8K shots. Since that time (several years ago) both 3rd party batteries have died (won't take/keep a charge) but I'm still getting around 575 shots with the OEM pentax. ( I'm no longer accurately tracking so the number could be off).

NaCl(in my experience there is a difference)H2O
05-24-2011, 08:23 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For what it's worth the trick is to make sure you buy 3rd party with the same or higher milliamp rating to start with. Pentax jobs out the batteries and it is quite likely that some of the 3rd party are coming off the same line.
Even if there is reduced performance (long term and other) the OEM will cost at a minimum 6 times as much as the 3rd party so for a large volume purchase the 3rd party makes infinitely more sense (at least to me) BTW my 3rd party battery with the K10 has always given me very close to the same performance as my OEM, the one with the K7 I can't comment on yet as I only recently picked it up.
In the past I dealt with 3rd parties that definitely did not live up to OEM, and they were not a whole lot cheaper (I'm thinking some of the camcorder batteries specifically and ones that were at retail, not via the web from china - usually not lithium ion like new batteries but nicad) these were generally much worse performers.
I think as long as you buy into a milliamp rating as high or higher than OEM you can expect comparable performance (+/- 10% say) at a significantly reduced price if ordered from china. If you are going to buy at retail in North America the price differential is much smaller and you may then prefer the OEM for the premium. (at $7 or so each though from china versus $40 from BH who are as cheap as any i've seen on OEM -and who charge 20 for a 3rd party - it's tough to beat the chinese option )
A quick search turned up 1860mah 7.2v DLI 90 3rd party (so same as OEM spec) for $7.12 free shipping

For 3.76 +3.50 shipping you were getting an inferior product with 1400 MAH

05-24-2011, 08:57 AM   #20
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Order on dealextreme they have good battery's for $ 12.
05-24-2011, 09:34 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Loren E Quote
I think the ticket will be extra batteries, but I am reading such mixed reviews on getting third party batteries and their quality.

I see the car charger is mentioned, of course I will be on an atoll though so no car...am I missing something basic in how these work or is a car necessary as the name implies? No roads or vehicles where I will be.
Most boats also have 12v electrical systems.

Other option, as I mentioned before, is a small SLA battery with the car chargers - "car charger" just means 12 volt input and a cigarette lighter plug, but there are plenty of other ways beyond cars to provide this.

It really depends on what your weight limits are - I think an SLA + small solar panel (at least 5W I'd say...) will do very well for you, if you can deal with the bulk/weight of the SLA. (The solar panel could be difficult to transport too.)
05-25-2011, 03:58 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Just buy the 3rd party batteries and just sell them for cheap later so you can recoup your cost.
An SLA battery even without a solar charger would be able to charge the pentax batteries for days.
It would all depend on how large the mAH capacity of the SLA battery is.