Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
NIKO brand filters (RARE I guess)

I guess these two filters I acquired at the local flea market--in a Canon AE-1 bundle--must be pretty rare because I don't see them mentioned here in the forums and when you google NIKO I don't really get anything except for a lot of web sites in Japanese.

I wonder how good they are. I thinking the polarizing filter must be decent because it went for over $40 some time ago.. the box looks like it is from the 70's or something.

Is this a circular polarizing filter or linear? it has two discs together that you turn.

Anyone know anything about these filters? I also got a haze one.

Attached Images

05-19-2011, 03:52 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by geekette Quote
Is this a circular polarizing filter or linear? it has two discs together that you turn.
You can tell if it's linear or circular by looking at a mirror through it. Hold it up to one eye with the thread side towards you - you should be able to see your eye through it. Then flip it over so you're looking through it 'backwards'. If you can still see your eye, it's linear. If you can't see your eye, it's circular.
05-20-2011, 09:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Also, If it doesn't say 'circular' odds are it's linear: CPLs used to be quite pricey and specialized, not the kind of thing they'd have left people to guess at.

They look like they're decently-made, anyway: I'm a little suspicious of the name, because it was pretty common practice for some cut-rate outfits to try to name their stuff similarly to a major brand, (Like... Nikon? ) But they just look well-made and well-packaged for that to be what's going on here. (Also the price there is just a bit much for a cheapie, by a couple times over, at least. )
05-20-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What is the best affordable Circular Polarizing Filter I can buy? 77mm . I read on amazon that the Nikon $149 77mm CPF is really nice. I wonder if there are just as good less expensive alternatives--I don't want to sacrifice quality though.

05-20-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

What is the best affordable Circular Polarizing Filter I can buy? 77mm . I read on amazon that the Nikon $149 77mm CPF is really nice. I wonder if there are just as good less expensive alternatives--I don't want to sacrifice quality though.
Those sizes run to the pricey, but Kenko would be worth looking at, or a good grade of Hoya.
05-20-2011, 03:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The local camera shop has a 77mm Promaster--made by Hoya they say--CPF for $59. It's for film cameras and they suggested a $129 filter--by Promaster as well--for DSLR. I don't know why I'd need two different ones; they said it had something to do with the coating on the newer lenses.

The woman that was helping me also said my Vivitar 52mm polarizing filter is CPF since it is round.... She in fact said if it's round, it's circular polarizign filter--lol.... I kinda argued with her for a second then shut up.

Amazon customers rate this Nikon 72mm CPF the best: http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-72mm-Circular-Polarizer-Filter/dp/B0001CNNYC/ref...931369&sr=1-13 .. It's like $135 though lol.. but maybe it's worth it--I'm clueless.

I could probably get by wtih 72mm filters instead of 77.. I don't know if I'll ever get a 77mm lens that i'd use filters on.

Last edited by geekette; 05-20-2011 at 03:45 PM.
05-20-2011, 06:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I would get the 77mm Promaster for 59.00, the other one for 129.00 seem like hokus, pokus to me. I shoot mainly with manual focus lenses which predates DSLRs by many, many moons, I doubt another layer of glass without digital optimized coating is going to make one whit of a difference.

Thanks,

05-20-2011, 06:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The local camera shop has a 77mm Promaster--made by Hoya they say--CPF for $59. It's for film cameras and they suggested a $129 filter--by Promaster as well--for DSLR. I don't know why I'd need two different ones; they said it had something to do with the coating on the newer lenses.

The woman that was helping me also said my Vivitar 52mm polarizing filter is CPF since it is round.... She in fact said if it's round, it's circular polarizign filter--lol.... I kinda argued with her for a second then shut up.

Amazon customers rate this Nikon 72mm CPF the best: Amazon.com: Nikon 72mm Circular Polarizer II Filter: Electronics .. It's like $135 though lol.. but maybe it's worth it--I'm clueless.

I could probably get by wtih 72mm filters instead of 77.. I don't know if I'll ever get a 77mm lens that i'd use filters on.
CPL.

And, yeah, linear polarizers can be round, too. Whoever you talked to offends the once-proud-who-am-I-kidding retail photo profession.

(That said, that's damn pricey, but I always used Nikon filters, partly just cause that's what I had, but they're good. For that kind of money I might look at B+W, though. )

Nah: Here you go, I think: how's 67 bucks sound? http://www.amazon.com/Marumi-Super-Circular-Polarizer-Filter/dp/B003OEJLF4/r...943334&sr=1-11

Or: for a wee bit more:

http://www.amazon.com/65-062161-72mm-Circular-Polarizer-Filter/dp/B000KZ80NY...943334&sr=1-17

B + W. Maybe a little cold, but sharp, and just pops, if it's like what I've got.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 05-20-2011 at 07:16 PM.
05-20-2011, 09:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ratmagiclady, B+W brand name makes me think it's for black & white photography, as if it isn't neutral enough for color photography? lol
05-21-2011, 11:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Ratmagiclady, B+W brand name makes me think it's for black & white photography, as if it isn't neutral enough for color photography? lol
Heehee. Actually, they're arguably the best brand out there, in general, but the name does seem to confuse a few people now and again.
05-21-2011, 12:45 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KEH has some good prices on used filters.

Chris
05-21-2011, 01:37 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Not unless black and white is the color of money. Very expensive and made of Schott glass in Germany by real Germans. B+W is a subsidiary of Schneider Optics (LINK).

Steve

(Yes, they really do want $77.00 USD for a MC 49mm skylight filter...)
05-21-2011, 03:07 PM   #13

Wonder if Niko was a brand for RMI Rocky Mountain Instrument Co?