Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tamrac Strap Deal

Amazon has the Tamrac N46 (Flames) strap on sale for $8.60 plus you can have super saver shipping with it if you spend $25. This is an extremely good deal on what's supposed to be a good strap.

This is the thicker version of the strap not the thinner one. It can be used as either a neck or shoulder strap. It is padded and most reviews I've seen on is say it's very sturdy and pretty comfortable.

I'm thinking probably so. I've yet to buy anything of theirs that hasn't been, plus they have a good warranty system. It usually runs about $20-25 most places so I doubt these will go for that price for long.

Amazon.com: Tamrac N46 Superlight Foam-Padded Camera Strap (Red Flames): Electronics

I kind of wish it had been the gray flames version or the flash version but I'll take the red flames for this price and likely it will match my bag besides. I really needed a comfortable digital strap and for less than $9 I'm not going to fuss too much about which pattern. Likely I am going to make my own cover for it anyway so that hardly matters. I just hope it's as comfortable as the reviews would have it be.

This is a nice pic of what it actually looks like color-wise. It's not too bad and I'm not too sure looking at it that you couldn't just change out the band if you wanted to customize it. I'm thinking I may try that before I make a whole new cover.

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/42000095/Images/24/N-46QRca...apMain_650.jpg

05-19-2011, 06:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It looks like a very nice strap.

I have an "unpadded" Y-strap for cross shoulder use with the camera on my hip. My Pentax equipment is light enought that i don't need a pad, and i find that the unpadded strap stores easily in my camera bag without taking up excessive room. So my suggestion is don't get a pad unless needed for comfort.
05-19-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm finding a padded strap is a must for me. I'm pretty uncomfortable in any regular neck strap it seems. I rather liked this one because the pad's not huge and it looks like I can use it across my shoulder bandoleer style or neck, either way. A lot of the ones with the neophrene foam the pad part is so big and thick it's awkward. I think I can still get this one into my Tamrac 515 Bag at least until I put on the 75-300MM lens at which point I might have to stick it in a pocket or lens case by itself. It looks like it will fold almost normally unlike say the Opteka ones which are just hugely padded. I don't know. We'll see when it gets here in a week or so.
05-20-2011, 08:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I'm finding a padded strap is a must for me. I'm pretty uncomfortable in any regular neck strap it seems. I rather liked this one because the pad's not huge and it looks like I can use it across my shoulder bandoleer style or neck, either way. A lot of the ones with the neophrene foam the pad part is so big and thick it's awkward. I think I can still get this one into my Tamrac 515 Bag at least until I put on the 75-300MM lens at which point I might have to stick it in a pocket or lens case by itself. It looks like it will fold almost normally unlike say the Opteka ones which are just hugely padded. I don't know. We'll see when it gets here in a week or so.
I had a lot of discomfort hanging my camera from the neck, but once i got my bandolier style of strap and hang my camera at hip level, then no problem. I'd never go back to a pure neck strap. Are you sure that strap is long enough for you - rhetorical question - i don't need the answer

I hope you find something that is comfortable for you.

05-20-2011, 08:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
21.95 today , i would have bought 4 and replaced a few
05-20-2011, 09:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I used to like the old Tamrac type with the suede pads, years ago: I'm more of a neoprene convert, now, but they were good. (Especially since the alternative tended to be these really wide web straps that I found pretty uncomfortable.)
05-20-2011, 09:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, they tend to do that to you on Amazon, sorry. I had blue 515 bag in my cart for a few days. It got down to less than $17 and I almost splurged but that jumped back to $45 right before I found the strap at $8 plus change. Sometimes you just have to jump on a bargain on Amazon while you can. They probably near sold out at that price, I'll bet.

05-20-2011, 10:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Yeah, they tend to do that to you on Amazon, sorry. I had blue 515 bag in my cart for a few days. It got down to less than $17 and I almost splurged but that jumped back to $45 right before I found the strap at $8 plus change. Sometimes you just have to jump on a bargain on Amazon while you can. They probably near sold out at that price, I'll bet.
Kind of a fun part, there, though. Sometimes you can be the beneficiary of a price war. It seems there's some real sales advantage to having the very cheapest price on a search, so sometimes it's good to have a search just before purchasing or watch the prices. (I saved a long while for an IPS monitor, but when the time came I found them near a hundred bucks cheaper than I expected to pay. Rather brief window of opportunity, though. (Could have saved even more if I'd held off a couple of hours, but I kind of don't regret snapping mine up. )
05-20-2011, 10:54 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've noticed that if I put something in my cart and don't buy it straight off that sometimes the price will drop by a buck or two as if to entice me to click and buy. That blue bag went from like $22 down to less than $17 in a couple of days. I really should have clicked and bought it. That was an amazing price for that, but I was doing a lot of searching on the strap thing and that Tamrac strap wasn't marked down then.
05-25-2011, 01:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tamrac strap arrived today. It's not quite as bright as it looks like in the pic. That's not necessarily a bad thing. I thought the item pic was a bit garish actually. I don't care much for the red and yellow flames design, but I knew that before I ordered it and it's not a huge deal what it looks like as that can be changed. Probably a sporty guy would like it just fine, but it doesn't suit me and I'm about to craft wire mine for added security, and sew up a cover to suit me.

The strap is a bit thinner than I thought it would be from the description. This is supposed to be the thicker version, but it's not very, which made me wonder just how thin the other one actually is by comparison? But to be fair it is sturdy and the clips look like good ones. It's pretty well made.

It's also comfortable. I probably wouldn't wear it around my neck as the padded area just doesn't spread the weight enough for that for me. The padded area isn't really all that padded. It's not like it's got one of those big, puffy pads. What they consider the padding is more like a thick canvas type shoulder strap cover. That's it. It's still good to have it but there's no foam at all hardly that I can feel.

The strap did unfold to a length that is comfortable for me to use it as a sling strap over my shoulder, definitely preferable, but a really tall guy would probably need a much longer strap as this one barely did that for me. The presence of la boobs notwithstanding it's still got to be rather short for a shoulder strap if it only just works on someone of my height. I can't imagine being a foot taller, or more, as most guys are to me, and being able to use it that way.

I can't really gripe too much. In terms of actual use it works well overall and it was a steal. I paid less than half of what these usually cost after all, but honestly I think a norm of $20-25 for one of these is a bit much considering. I'm definitely glad I got mine on sale. At $8 plus change it's a decent strap and far better than the one that usually comes with a camera, but it's not what I'd call a pro strap by any means.

I think it can handle the K-x plus my 300MM lens just fine though I'll feel even more secure with that once I wire it all up.