Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2007, 05:13 PM   #1
Forum Member

Think the Sigma 500 okay with K100d?

I think I'm about ready to bite the bullet and part with some money for a flash. I have a K100d camera and several "A" lenses (that means there's an "A" on the lens aperture ring, right? I've heard some lenses, like the manual lenses (no "A" on the aperture ring) won't function correctly with the non-Pentax P-TTL flashes.

I'd like swivel and tilt. I'd like a moderately powerful flash. I want one that really IS compatible with my K100's P-TTL. I don't need many flash features like off camera use or wireless use, or other features I can't even figure out what they are! <g>

After going through this forum several times reading, I have a headache but I also think I've learned that:

The 360 and 540 Pentax flashes will work fine with my K100d. However, I cannot afford the 540, and I don't need many of its features. I could barely afford the 360, but it has no swivel. It also has a low guide number.

I looked at the Digital Concepts Flash for the K100d. However, I'm getting mixed reports; some say it is P-TTL, some say it's not. Also, it's guide number is lower (I think!) than the Sigma and its cost is not low enough to justify that.

The Sigma EF 500 ST DG (I got a description here)
looks good as far as P-TTL, swivel, tilt and guide number goes. Cost is good also. I THINK this flash will do what I want; can anyone with my camera add to that? It works good or it doesn't?

11-05-2007, 06:45 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Short answer: Yes. The Sigma EF 500 ST DG is definitely compatible with the K100D.

Personally I would get the Sigma EF 500 DG Super over the ST, as the Super can go wireless (it may not seem useful now but you may want this option later), and generally lets you take more control over the flash output. But still the ST is fine and very good value.
11-05-2007, 07:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree with Zap
11-05-2007, 08:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Mine works great

11-05-2007, 10:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

It depends on what you foresee yourself using in the future in the way of lenses.

If you're going to be using "A" lenses (including "DA", "FA", etc) that can communicate with the camera and the flash, then the Sigma is a perfectly fine and affordable alternative to the Pentax flashes. I have the non-Super version of the Sigma 500, and since I rarely use "A" lenses I am extraordinarily dissatisfied with it. It's practically useless in conjunction with non-"A" lenses. With them, it does just dandy (although in my case it doesn't work well with the kit lens for some reason).
11-05-2007, 10:42 PM   #6
Forum Member

We in Australia are patiently waiting for the Sigma DG530 which should arrive this month. I want to use it, principally for parties, wedding, social events & then with the Pentax kit lens with the K10D. Other than that I use an SMC Pentax - F 50mm 1:1.7 (It has an "A" setting) & various manual lenses. I hope that this will work with all lenses. The Pentax 360 is about the same price as a K100D.
11-06-2007, 06:19 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jibbonpoint Quote
We in Australia are patiently waiting for the Sigma DG530 which should arrive this month. I want to use it, principally for parties, wedding, social events & then with the Pentax kit lens with the K10D. Other than that I use an SMC Pentax - F 50mm 1:1.7 (It has an "A" setting) & various manual lenses. I hope that this will work with all lenses. The Pentax 360 is about the same price as a K100D.

Thanks for that info from "Down Under". But I'm confused with your last sentence: The Pentax 360 is about the same price as the K100D? I paid under 500 USD for my K100d with kit lens, and I believe the Pentax 360 can be gotten for about $190 here as well? Maybe just the K100d body might be about the same price as the 360 flash?

Thanks. The Sigma DG530 does sound like a very good flash.

11-06-2007, 06:23 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ZaphodB Quote
Short answer: Yes. The Sigma EF 500 ST DG is definitely compatible with the K100D.

Personally I would get the Sigma EF 500 DG Super over the ST, as the Super can go wireless (it may not seem useful now but you may want this option later), and generally lets you take more control over the flash output. But still the ST is fine and very good value.
I read about the super and it does sound like a very good flash, but at this point in life I think I can live with the non-super model. There is about $70 difference in the price. I may change my mind, it's happened before, but I have to balance my photography with ALL my others! As it is I am on a first name basic with our UPS driver.
11-07-2007, 11:33 PM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Papersniper Quote
Thanks for that info from "Down Under". But I'm confused with your last sentence: The Pentax 360 is about the same price as the K100D? I paid under 500 USD for my K100d with kit lens, and I believe the Pentax 360 can be gotten for about $190 here as well? Maybe just the K100d body might be about the same price as the 360 flash?

Thanks. The Sigma DG530 does sound like a very good flash.
Hi Papersniper. Sorry to take so long to reply. Here in OZ it's about $450AUD. Given that the A$ is about 93C now to the USD, are they getting at us or what?

That's about right for the K100D here which is about $A650 I was taking some license here with the comparison.

When it turns up here, I believe that the Sigma 530 will be about $360AUD.

I've decided to get a fully manual unit anyway & learn how to use it. The Speedlight attached to my old Ricoh XR-M did everything I wanted for the last 20 years.
11-08-2007, 07:48 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
When it turns up here, I believe that the Sigma 530 will be about $360AUD.

I've decided to get a fully manual unit anyway & learn how to use it. The Speedlight attached to my old Ricoh XR-M did everything I wanted for the last 20 years.
There are many who have advocated that. I have an old Sunpak Auto 144 Thyristor that I understand would work fine with my K100d, I'd just have to use it manually. I am still playing around with the new K100d to see exactly what I need (and can afford!)

Interesting on the Ricoh. I just sent my 25 yr old Ricoh KR5 Super up to B&H. Considering inflation I suppose I'm not loosing TOO much money!
11-08-2007, 08:27 AM   #11
Forum Member

Well, after reading your posting Papersniper, I decided to buy one from the US, from, guess who? B&H. They wearn't the cheapest but they dealt with overseas. Now, after I completed the deal with my credit card, a follow up came through & as I was an overseas customer, I would have to fax or email a copy of both sides of my credit card before they would send it, having already extracted the money, I've asked for an explanation.

No way am I going to do that.
11-08-2007, 08:38 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, after reading your posting Papersniper, I decided to buy one from the US, from, guess who? B&H. They wearn't the cheapest but they dealt with overseas. Now, after I completed the deal with my credit card, a follow up came through & as I was an overseas customer, I would have to fax or email a copy of both sides of my credit card before they would send it, having already extracted the money, I've asked for an explanation.

No way am I going to do that.
Which did you decide to buy?

Man, what a hassle from B&H. I imagine it's tough to deal with US companies from outside the US. I remember what I went through back in the 70s ordering electronic gear from Sony Superscope when I had an APO address when I was in the Navy. Lots of paperwork and I waited nearly 8 weeks to get my item! Jeez!!
11-08-2007, 01:45 PM   #13
Inactive Account

jibbon... I understand your concern, but it's certainly not a scam or anything... asking for a fax/email copy of both sides of your credit card is B&H's standard policy for overseas orders as stated on their website. They are a well respected company and I'm sure they will not leave your card details lying around for anyone to find. I do agree it's a hassle though.
11-08-2007, 03:45 PM   #14
Forum Member

Well, I received a reply this morning & said, as my card was verified, I don't need to send a fax of the card etc. Then another to say the item has been shipped. So; the upshot is that I have saved about $A150, perhaps a bit more; about a third the cost of the item here even allowing for shipping. We have had a lot of reports of "identity theft."

I certainly wouldn't do it.

Anyway, thank papersniper,for letting me know about the price difference.
11-08-2007, 04:11 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, I received a reply this morning & said, as my card was verified, I don't need to send a fax of the card etc. Then another to say the item has been shipped. So; the upshot is that I have saved about $A150, perhaps a bit more; about a third the cost of the item here even allowing for shipping. We have had a lot of reports of "identity theft."

I certainly wouldn't do it.

Anyway, thank papersniper,for letting me know about the price difference.
You are welcome sir! Glad that turned out okay after all. Additional work for you, but it turned out very well with that savings, eh? <G>