Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2007, 02:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
demo: ExpoAmigo vs WhiBal

I mentioned in my WhiBal test thread that I was going to get an ExpoAmigo to give it a test. ExpoAmigo is just a piece of plastic and works similarly to ExpoDisc (minus the exposure part) and the LensCap WB filter. Also the coffee filter method works similarly.

To use it, you hold it up in front of the lens and set the manual WB in the camera while its in front of the lens. Then you shoot using that custom WB. It works resonably well and better than AutoWB, and can be convenient when its hard to get a WhiBal in the shot in the same light as your subject, such as when using a long tele.

I took some test images to compare the results. These were shot in raw with the same camera settings and exact same ACR parameters except that the WhiBal shot had the greypoint set with a WhiBal shot.

In conclusion, the WhiBal is still king in my book and I like mine even more after seing the results, its the only one I feel I can really trust. I find the AutoWB and to a much lesser degree, the ExpoAmigo to kinda bleech the colors, the color of the flower pot is not white, it has the color that you see in the WhiBal shot. Well I will show the images. Post questions if you have any.

Oh any my general conclusion is that, whichever WB tool you use, you should at least be using some form of WB tool. Especially indoors in natural light.

11-06-2007, 02:38 AM   #2
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Oh BTW, the ExpoAmigo rendering of the WhiBal card was:
206, 204, 213 (RGB)
When it should have been neutral, so there is a slight blueish cast. But as you can see from the images its not too bad and a lot better than AutoWB.