Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2007, 10:30 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
magnifying eyecup

I have the Pentax O-ME53 magnifying eyecup on my DS. I quite like it. First of all it does provide a bit (1.2X) of magnification which helps some in focusing. The second thing I like is that it moves my face a bit further away from the back of the camera so I don't get as much "nose smudge" on the rear screen. I've two questions:
A) is there a greater magnification eyecup available? One at about 1.5 or so?
B) will the O-ME53 fit on my new K10D? If it does I'll get one for that camera too, unless of course there's a greater magnification one available.

NaCl(ergonomic enhancements are great)H2O

11-06-2007, 01:32 PM   #2

Yes! I have the eyecup on my K10D and it fits perfectly. You must first remove the originally fitted eyecup. this can be a little stiff, but it can be done without difficulties.
The eyecup is perfect for critical focusing and never comes off my camera.

Regards

Janko
11-07-2007, 04:40 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Janko, now I have a good reason to go downtown and visit Adorama!

NaCl(a dangerous place to wander into, is Adorama)H2O
11-07-2007, 05:10 AM   #4
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The slight vignetting (depending on the eye placement) can be a bit annoying but I do love mine, and I also use it on the k10d. The magnification isnt too extreme but to me its a huge advantage just to get me noose away from the lcd screen.

I belive there was a 2x magifyer available, see here
PENTAX Products : Film Cameras

11-07-2007, 08:51 AM   #5

I wear glasses....

The magnifying eyecup is on my list of possible acquisitions on the annual, or less, visits to the u.S.

I wear glasses. Is that an issue?
Does it interfere with seeing the data in the viewfinder?

Oh, a word of warning. I managed to tear the rubber cushion on my viewfinder gizmo removing it once.
11-07-2007, 03:11 PM   #6

I also wear glasses. If you are using the viewfinder loupe with your glasses on, you will have to shift the eye a little to see the data at the bottom of the finder.
You can also adjust the diopter adjustment of the finder on K10D. In this case you do not need the glasses you can see the whole viewfinder without problems. This is what I normally do.

There is also another advantage of the magnifying eyecup - its rubber cushion is blocking (at least for me) the side light much better than the original eyecup.

You must be quite careful when removing the original eyecup - it sits quite stiff on the finder window.

Regards
Janko
11-07-2007, 04:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I know some people also use Nikon Dk-21m, but can't find its magnification ratio.
Nikon | DK-21M Magnifying Eyepiece | 25339 | B&H Photo Video

Edit: It is 1.17x Kingsley Photographic Ltd ::*Accessories ::*Camera Accessories ::*Nikon DK-21M Eyepiece Magnifier so O-Me35 is still better.

Last edited by ddhytz; 11-07-2007 at 04:12 PM.
11-08-2007, 04:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I wear glasses and uses the DK-21M eyecup on my k100D. The magnification is not that much but it is certainly better than nothing.
11-08-2007, 06:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The Nikon Dk-21M has a magification of 1.17x, while the Pentax O-ME53 has a magnification of 1.18x. In other words, that rounds out to roughly 1.2x magnification with either. The difference of 0.01x is insignificant.

In my opinion, the biggest disadvantage with either magnifying eyepiece is the overall housing is not as tall as the stock eyepiece, meaning the diopter adjustment knob is fully exposed (easily knocked out of adjustment) with either of these two eyepieces attached.

stewart
11-09-2007, 11:05 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've had the O-ME53 on my DS for well over a year now and have never had a problem with the diopter being kocked of of it's setting. It did get knocked off when I was switching from the stock eyepiece to the O-ME53 tho.

NaCl(and I'm not terribly careful with my equipment)H2O
11-12-2007, 06:34 AM   #11

I have the Pentax version for about a month now and like it very much, the eye piece is better than the original.
03-13-2008, 06:16 AM   #12

I put my Pentax in the bag with lcd side faced on the bottom: since the eyepice protundes a bit over it could be damaged?
03-13-2008, 09:05 AM   #13

I don't think so. I don't bag my camera but having it around my neck with the eyepiece against my shirt has to be worse.

Earlier I posted that I was thinking about getting this eyepiece and was concerned about glasses. My sister brought it to me a month ago and it will stay on my camera. I liked it the first time I looked through it and it took about a day to get used to using it with glasses. IMHO, it's great.
03-13-2008, 09:45 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
A) is there a greater magnification eyecup available? One at about 1.5 or so?
Yes: Magnifier FB
This viewfinder accessory is for magnifying the central area of the viewfinder 2×. You can see the entire view by simply flipping up the accessory from the eyepiece, as it is a hinge-type magnifier.
Amazon.com: Pentax Magnifier FB with Case for PZ/ZX/SF: Camera & Photo

German list price is 79,- Euro incl. 19% VAT and ships within 2-3 weeks.
03-13-2008, 10:03 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
weight 1 LB !!!

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Yes: Magnifier FB
This viewfinder accessory is for magnifying the central area of the viewfinder 2×. You can see the entire view by simply flipping up the accessory from the eyepiece, as it is a hinge-type magnifier.
Amazon.com: Pentax Magnifier FB with Case for PZ/ZX/SF: Camera & Photo

German list price is 79,- Euro incl. 19% VAT and ships within 2-3 weeks.
Not available and way too heavy besides. 1 lb = @ .45 K way too heavy, might be ok if you only wanted it for tripod shots.

NaCl(the OME53 works well enough)H2O