Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Good bag for bicycling

Hey all,

I just hopped on my bike for the first time in a year and a half and realized how much I had missed it. Friend and I are planning some long rides this summer in the beautiful landscapes outside of Seattle, and I'm looking for a way to bring my K-7 along. If any of you have recommendations for a small, comfortable backpack that is not much larger than it needs to be to carry my camera with a single prime lens (likely the DA15) but won't bounce around too much, I'd love to hear them.

05-23-2011, 03:37 PM   #2
Inactive Account

How about a small pelican case mounted to a rack. Should be rather shock proof, waterproof, and protect everything if you take a spill. Plus backpacks can get a little uncomfortable on long rides.
05-23-2011, 03:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
'Messenger bags' are kind of all the rage right now, but few seem to consider that bike messengers wear that style for darn good reasons.

The thing about it is, you put it on a short strap (That's why proper courier bags have those big buckles: ) You shorten it up so it's resting on your rib-cage, (up on your back, *high* ) but it's not pulling backwards on each shoulder: ie, you're not fighting it like a backpack would make you do every time you pedal. And you don't have to take it off to access it: it's just there.

Especially with a small kit, there you go.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 05-23-2011 at 03:56 PM.
05-23-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Hi, I bike around often with my gear using a Kata DT-213 sling bag. It holds my K7 with my Pentax 18-250mm mounted plus has room for two additional lenses. It comes with a waist strap if you want it snug, but I go without it with no problem. It swings arond your body for fast & easy access to your gear. There is also a smaller model, DT-211 that may interest you. Protects everything well.

05-24-2011, 08:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zman Quote
Hi, I bike around often with my gear using a Kata DT-213 sling bag. It holds my K7 with my Pentax 18-250mm mounted plus has room for two additional lenses. It comes with a waist strap if you want it snug, but I go without it with no problem. It swings arond your body for fast & easy access to your gear. There is also a smaller model, DT-211 that may interest you. Protects everything well.
+1 for the DT-213
I bought the DT-213 specfically for a MTB trip in the mountains last year. Unfortunately other factors out of my control means 8 months later I still havent done the trip. Anyway, I planned to use it as a torso pack with a backpack for other gear (it can attach to backpack straps)
I have done a short test with it and when in the front torso postion it's pretty stable and doesnt get in the way in normal open trails or riding on the road.
I carried k-7 with 55-300 fitted and some other prime lenses. (it can even fit the DAltd lens case). Personally i prefer to carry it on my torso as I felt it was less likely to get damaged if (when) i fall off. The padding/protection on these is very good.
The DT-211 is more compact and the latest version of the same sort of thing is called "LighTri?"

I also have a DW-493 waist pack which is a lot smaller and OK for riding providing you have it rotated behind you. Wearing it forward my (muscular) thighs bump on it so not so comfortable. This is suitable for a K-7 and some primes. The 55-300 fits in but not when mounted to the camera.

If you arent planning to go on the really rough stuff, you might want to check out something like this TopeakŪ Cycling Accessories ? Products - BarPack (just found with google)
05-24-2011, 01:52 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
'Messenger bags' are kind of all the rage right now, but few seem to consider that bike messengers wear that style for darn good reasons.

The thing about it is, you put it on a short strap (That's why proper courier bags have those big buckles: ) You shorten it up so it's resting on your rib-cage, (up on your back, *high* ) but it's not pulling backwards on each shoulder: ie, you're not fighting it like a backpack would make you do every time you pedal. And you don't have to take it off to access it: it's just there.

Especially with a small kit, there you go.
Viola: Timbuk2 Bags - Snoop Camera Messenger - Ballistic Fabric

Get the small for a small kit.

woof!
05-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #7
Banned

I use a LowePro Inverse 200 for my rides. It has room for my K-x body and 1-2 additional lenses if necessary along with a pouch for batteries etc. It also has a rain cover which has come in quite handy on occasion. I've done numerous centuries with it and I don't really notice that I'm wearing it. Even when I'm winding out on my fixie I don't find that it interferes with my riding.

05-24-2011, 03:04 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use a Louis Garneau rack trunk and mount it to my bike's rear rack. I padded it further to protect my kit. I was carrying my K200D with kit lens mounted, as well as my telephoto zoom when I had a crash at about 18mph. No damage to the camera. I used the rack trunk in particular because it's the most protected part of the bike that I can think of. The trunk has a dismountable shoulder strap so I can carry the bag when not on the bike. Not sure this trunk is still available, but others are similar and should work just as well. Wrote an article about it called "Outfitting a Rack Trunk to Carry Camera Gear" and here are a couple photos:

05-24-2011, 06:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Cool, Tamia, though I don't much like the idea of subjecting cameras to that kind of *vibration,* is the thing.

(And, hey, Woof, that Timbuk bag looks like it has much the same shape of insert that I'd *make.* )

There's also this outfit out of the Boston area called 'Courierware:' I haven't tried their dedicated camera inserts, but I still have the bag from my courier days, still hardly showing its age. (And considerable use.) I'm certainly satisfied with the bag itself. They also make a strap pad that's hard to beat.
05-24-2011, 06:31 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RML, I must admit to being concerned about vibration, also, but the trunk is thickly padded in itself, and I added layers of closed cell foam for additional padding all round. I reasoned that the cam gear is shipped by truck inside boxes that aren't thickly padded, and that the rack of my bike might not be as bad as that.

Thanks for the reference to Courierware site. Their Camera Bag looks great...
05-24-2011, 08:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
RML, I must admit to being concerned about vibration, also, but the trunk is thickly padded in itself, and I added layers of closed cell foam for additional padding all round. I reasoned that the cam gear is shipped by truck inside boxes that aren't thickly padded, and that the rack of my bike might not be as bad as that.

Well, you know your body's about the second-best vibration absorber-and-stabilizer in the world, (After your *head* but it's hard to carry camera bags that way. ) Padding something connected to a rigid wheel will not serve in all circumstances, especially digital things, I'd think. Admittedly, despite being all old and creaky, now, when I do ride, I still ride like a 'Speed is life' Boston bike messenger, fair loosely attached to the ground if I don't need to be, but bicycles aren't cars, (or delivery trucks) and padding may not be enough to mitigate what transmits through the frame. Your body will do, though: it's made to run bipedally, which takes more than padding. )
05-25-2011, 07:59 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Well, you know your body's about the second-best vibration absorber-and-stabilizer in the world, (After your *head* but it's hard to carry camera bags that way. ) Padding something connected to a rigid wheel will not serve in all circumstances, especially digital things, I'd think. Admittedly, despite being all old and creaky, now, when I do ride, I still ride like a 'Speed is life' Boston bike messenger, fair loosely attached to the ground if I don't need to be, but bicycles aren't cars, (or delivery trucks) and padding may not be enough to mitigate what transmits through the frame. Your body will do, though: it's made to run bipedally, which takes more than padding. )
I think you're right about this, but when on long rides, especially on tour, carrying a pack or messenger bag on my back because it causes arm, hand, and shoulder pain after a few hours.
05-25-2011, 10:10 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I have the Lowepro Orion Trekker. for such rides it is very handy because of the top compartment where you can put food and drinks
05-25-2011, 10:44 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote

there are a lot of various messenger style bags now days, i have a large crumpler which is great for travel (it holds a big kit) but it's too big for day to day, i'm looking at one of the smaller ones for that now that cycling season is back. for the time being i use my old Lowepro Orion Trekker AW which has a detachable small backpack good for day trips, and a bag that i can wear with a waist and should belt while riding around town that's comfortable and holds up to my medium format kit (or most of it anyway) if i am out to shoot seriously
05-26-2011, 04:28 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I think it really depends on the kind of riding you intend on doing...

City riding... messenger style (shorten strap) or rucksack style... As long as it's not moving about... Its all good... If you come off on the road then chances are a car has hit you... Camera should be covered under their insurance... Hope your not too injured either...

Mtb... I'd go rucksack style everytime... When I come off on the trail I either go straight over the handlebars or smackdown-sideways... Never once have I landed on my back... If fell off on the trail... You were going faster than you could handle... You loved every second of it... It was worth the injury... I hope your camera's OK...