Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2011, 02:39 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Bags

What a good bag for a camera, a couple not too huge lenses, and a few other items? Not a huge bag, something just big enough for those things.

05-29-2011, 02:44 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Oh my...

There are hundreds, if not thousands, of options. Each type of bag (messenger, backpack, fanny bag, holster, briefcase, sling) has its merits. Each person prefers some type of bag. Not all bags are suited for everyone.

My suggestion is to start by figuring out the design you prefer, and exactly how you plan on using the bag (frequent access? Simply carry gear from point to point? Pack other items? Weatherproof? etc.). then head to a store and try some bags for yourself.

What I think is the most versatile solution is to get a decent, not camera specific bag, that fits you perfectly. A bag that you will carry for a long time should be comfortable. THEN, get some inserts to go in that bag, to protect and organize your gear. You'll save money and get a better bag.
05-29-2011, 02:46 PM   #3
Pentaxian

This is an item you need to see in person. Go to a store in your area.
05-29-2011, 02:49 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
This is an item you need to see in person. Go to a store in your area. The Tamrac website has diagrams of their bags.
That's probably a good idea. I was just wondering what some of you are using, and if any particular brands are superior.

05-29-2011, 03:58 PM   #5
wjt
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Check out the Lowepro 202. Mine can hold k5 and crumpler strap with DA50-135 (attached or in pocket) plus 3-4 lenses or flash in main compartment. The little top pocket fits my k7 with my DA35ltd. And my little carbon fibre travel tripod just fits in the monopod holder on the side. When I jump on a plane I can also fit my iPad snugly in the main compartment as well. Overall it's a good little bag, but like others said, go down and play with a heap. The crumpler bags are supposed to be good too though more pricey.
05-29-2011, 04:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Yeah I agree you need to narrow it down. I like a small messenger bag for walking around with. I can walk all day with a Crumpler 5MDH, not to big or heavy. It has three compartments and can fit a few lenses and a body, it will easily fit a 50-135 mounted on a K-x body for example. I usually though use it to carry 1 zoom & 3 primes with my K-x. I also own a 6MDH and a 7MDH. I'm a bit crumpler obsessed LOL, I really don't like the look of the other bags, most are just damn ugly.

05-29-2011, 05:57 PM   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Go to your local photo store and test their different bags. Bring a typical set of lenses and your camera. Try how these fit in. Compare the quality of the bags.

All in all I would not buy a bag unless I try it first, and most good photo stores will be happy to assist.
06-02-2011, 05:32 PM   #8

Original Poster
I ended up with a pretty nice Tamrac bag. Enough room for my K-5, and extra lens, filters, charger, etc. Not too big, not too small, and it was 50 bucks. I like the looks of some of the pricier bags, but I'll wait until I have settled on my "kit" to upgrade.

06-02-2011, 05:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

ThinkTank is awesome. I have a couple of their bags. Their web site has a lot of help selecting, and provides great photos of different configurations, etc. You can't go wrong with their quality, and their guarantee and customer support is excellent.
06-02-2011, 05:51 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've always had the lowe pro, love a modular design, can change with how many lenses I want to take.

But, was just looking at the Pac Safe Camera bags, I like them. Anybody got one???