Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2011, 02:58 AM   #1
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 56
New GPS gadget from Pentax

Seems like Pentax is releasing a new GPS toy for dslrs. Interesting astro photography feature!

PENTAX O-GPS1 A handy GPS unit for digital SLR cameras, offering innovative features for effortless tracking and photographing of celestial bodies

06-02-2011, 03:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member
Jodokast96's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Erial, NJ USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,133
Hope it works as well as it sounds. I have no real use for the standard GPS functions, but I may buy it for that.
06-02-2011, 05:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Prague
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,198
Oh yes, I was quite interested in astro photography already, but the bulk and price of a mount to compensate for movement was prohibitive for me so far.
I'm so glad I'm shooting Pentax!
06-02-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
Senior Member
vicentesagredo's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Concepcion
Posts: 100
im not into astrophotography but with those tracking times provided, it looks like the K5 SR is better than the K-r one.

06-02-2011, 02:23 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
smigol's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 411
A tracking time of about 160 seconds at 200mm fl is just a tease...
I like the idea a lot. Stacking a bunch of 2 minute exposures would be a pretty easy way to get some nice shots, regardless of ISO settings.

Note that you'll still have field rotation that will likely show up at around 5 minutes or so of total exposure time. This is because the alt-az movement from the SR sensor doesn't count for the all the movement of the camera vs the stars.
06-02-2011, 03:21 PM   #6
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Posts: 24
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/146141-gps-pentax-digi...-camera-s.html

06-02-2011, 04:01 PM   #7
Pentaxian
v5planet's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Seattle
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,915
QuoteOriginally posted by smigol Quote
A tracking time of about 160 seconds at 200mm fl is just a tease...
I like the idea a lot. Stacking a bunch of 2 minute exposures would be a pretty easy way to get some nice shots, regardless of ISO settings.

Note that you'll still have field rotation that will likely show up at around 5 minutes or so of total exposure time. This is because the alt-az movement from the SR sensor doesn't count for the all the movement of the camera vs the stars.
I am concerned that the altitude tilt of the SR sensor will result in a tilt-shift effect of the image projected through your lens.
06-02-2011, 04:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member
rparmar's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,783
"The unit calculates the movement of stars, planets, and other bodies using the latitude obtained from GPS data and the camera’s alignment data (horizontal and vertical inclinations and aspect) obtained from its magnetic and acceleration sensors, then shifts the camera’s image sensor in synchronization with the movement of the objects"

I don't have any use for this unit but I must say that this feature is truly cool. Would I be wrong in thinking this is a first in the industry?

06-03-2011, 06:12 AM   #9
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: United States
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 104
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
"The unit calculates the movement of stars, planets, and other bodies using the latitude obtained from GPS data and the camera’s alignment data (horizontal and vertical inclinations and aspect) obtained from its magnetic and acceleration sensors, then shifts the camera’s image sensor in synchronization with the movement of the objects"

I don't have any use for this unit but I must say that this feature is truly cool. Would I be wrong in thinking this is a first in the industry?
Actually the Romulans have had this technology for quite some time, but it's good to see it finally making it's way to Earth.
06-03-2011, 06:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member
rparmar's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,783
QuoteOriginally posted by patrickw Quote
Actually the Romulans have had this technology for quite some time, but it's good to see it finally making it's way to Earth.
Actually it's been here for some time. They've merely chosen this moment to decloak.
06-03-2011, 07:54 AM   #11
Veteran Member
steve1307's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sydney
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,129
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Actually it's been here for some time. They've merely chosen this moment to decloak.
So.... all Romulans shoot Pentax ?
But not all Pentax shooters are Romulans.
06-03-2011, 10:51 AM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Prague
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,198
Some are Vorlons.
06-06-2011, 07:40 AM   #13
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 262
QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
Some are Vorlons.
I thought they were Pentaxians. Oh well, shows what interbreeding can do.
I wonder how long before there are Chinese clones of these. It has more features than I thought at first glance.
06-06-2011, 04:04 PM   #14
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 124
If this works as advertised I may have to buy myself one...
06-09-2011, 07:16 AM   #15
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Prague
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,198
QuoteOriginally posted by Bill_R Quote
I thought they were Pentaxians. Oh well, shows what interbreeding can do.
I wonder how long before there are Chinese clones of these. It has more features than I thought at first glance.
Chinese are going to clone Vorlons? Not a good idea IMO.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
gps, pentax, tripod
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GPS Pentax DSLR's PHIL RUDIN Pentax News and Rumors 85 06-13-2011 10:51 AM
Eye-Fi - GPS - Apple - Which Pentax is right for me? tom2006dav Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 3 12-09-2010 05:51 AM
Pentax D-SLR Adventure Gadget Bag ajaya Ask B&H Photo! 4 10-28-2010 08:56 PM
Pentax K-7 GPS module dealrocker Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 02-06-2010 12:48 PM
Sigma 253091540 28-80 mm and 70-300 mm Two Lens Zoom Kit Plus Gadget Bag for Pentax A mulanrouge Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 2 09-08-2009 08:51 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:42 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top