Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2007, 05:56 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey Deegan, you wouldn't happen to have an old AMD 939 AGP motherboard laying around would ya? Been trying to find one for a month or so, and having little luck !!!

11-12-2007, 07:11 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
A PDA is something I no longer have. Had an early iPaq 7 or so years back, but used it so little relative to my jobs that I gave it to my father in law. Nowadays, any PDA functionality would be taken care of by my blackberry or iPhone.

In a perfect scenario, all I would have needed was the 30 dollar adapter for the iPod, and that would have allowed me to use my 30gb iPod for photo storing and viewing. Except every review I've read and the few people I've known who owned it all despised it, and stated they got nearly useless experiences from it (atrocious number of transfers per charge). So for 20 bucks more, I am in decent shape.

If ever PP or viewing images ASAP after taking them becomes a major concern, then I'd drag along my macbook and just get the camera bag with the laptop compartment. Just don't see that need, yet.
11-12-2007, 08:30 PM   #18
m8o
Veteran Member

I'll give a +1 to the hyperdrive SPACE too. check (if it isn't obvious) www.hyperdrive.com .
11-13-2007, 06:46 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jmdeegan Quote
A PDA is something I no longer have. Had an early iPaq 7 or so years back, but used it so little relative to my jobs that I gave it to my father in law. Nowadays, any PDA functionality would be taken care of by my blackberry or iPhone.
I use my Dell Axim as a combined PDA, MP3 player, note editor (using script translation), voice recorder (when I don't want to write things down, e-mail access while travelling, and also applications where carrying around a PC just isn't worth it yet I need to record numbers etc in a spread sheet and make graphs. I am about to load a PDF reader, so I can take manuals along with me.

QuoteQuote:
In a perfect scenario, all I would have needed was the 30 dollar adapter for the iPod, and that would have allowed me to use my 30gb iPod for photo storing and viewing. Except every review I've read and the few people I've known who owned it all despised it, and stated they got nearly useless experiences from it (atrocious number of transfers per charge). So for 20 bucks more, I am in decent shape.
I considered the same thing, with using my kid's, but then I realized I would also need to burn the camera batteries down for the transfer
QuoteQuote:

If ever PP or viewing images ASAP after taking them becomes a major concern, then I'd drag along my macbook and just get the camera bag with the laptop compartment. Just don't see that need, yet.
It is nice, however to look a little closer, but the K10 screen is pretty good at PP.

I just like to avoid humping a computer, and since my PDA is always with me, I can use it to at least view images after the transfer to make sure they are there, and some times to see they are really sharp.

11-19-2007, 05:06 PM   #20
Forum Member

I have been using a 30 gb "StorXtreme" for a few years. It's a terrific and tough little drive. It came with a US and European (forget which one) adapter for the charger. It's easy to use with a good menu system. I use it as a backup for my personal files on the PC, I toss it into the safe when I've done my backups. When I go on trips without my laptop I take the StorXtreme, otherwise I just backup on the laptop.

It has a USB connection and also SD and CF reader built it.

I think I paid about $80 for it, and I'm sure it's a LOT less expensive now.
11-25-2007, 07:52 AM   #21
Pentaxian

just to add a note, I oput together a Sans Digital photo bank (cost ~50) with a spare notebook 80 GB disk.

Using a compact flash usb host for my PDA I can view all my images on the photo bank.

If you have a PDA with a CF card slot, this is a lot lower cost option than getting a photo bank with a viewing screen, especially if you already have the disk, as I did.