Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2007, 08:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Photo hard drives?

Anyone using one of these? Seen a few different ones, some better priced than others. With my other digital cameras, a couple 1gb cards shooting JPEGS on a family vacation was more than enough.

With the K10D, shooting RAW, I know my 3 2gb cards will be filled up, or at least theres a greater chance that they will fill up. While I am not totally against travelling with my laptop, I'd' rather not unless I am on a business trip. I wanted to try the iPod photo transfer adapter, but the reviews I've read tell me it's basically a waste.

I've seen a couple other products that interested me, but wanted to gauge what others on the board are using, if anything....

1-delkin has a device which would allow my camera to connect to a USB hard drive. Not sure how well this would work, as the device is powered by 2 AA batteries....

2-INOI and Wolverine make some hard drives. I liked the look of the wolverine, and the dollars per GB seemed more reasonable than the INOI and others.

3-I think the other option would be to break down and buy a couple more 2gb cards. I am figuring on about 100-120 photos per card, and I'd like to know I have a nice surplus of space. I like the 2gb size, as it minimizes the risk of a card failure--which, thankfully, I've not yet had, but I don't want to jinx myself either.....

thanks

11-10-2007, 06:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Since I had several spare laptop hard drives sitting around the house, I decided on the Dooin USB2.0 Media Manager ($45 US). The company selling this device, USB Geek, is based in Hong Kong, China. Shipment to my location was reasonably quick, painless, and duty free.

The device is sold without a hard drive, allowing you to insert any, often inexpensive, 2.5 inch drive of your choice. I selected an 80GB hard drive, but a smaller drive would be fine for just storing images. Installing the drive involves removing four screws, inserting the drive (only fits one way), and putting the screws back in. Afterwards, charge up the battery and you're ready to go. It comes with a 100-240v charger (USA style plug requiring adapter plug elsewhere).

The card reader supports normal SD cards, but not SDHC cards. When purchasing an SD card, simply avoid the SDHC logo and it will work. Transfer speeds are limited only by the card itself. The reader will support any speed.

Operation is extremely simple. There are only two buttons, the "power" button and the "copy" button. Insert an SD card, hit the "power" button, and press "copy" to transfer images from the SD card to the hard drive. The device will turn off when finished. When you're ready to transfer the images to your computer (PC or Mac), plug in the USB cord and press power. The hard drive will appear on your computer as a normal hard drive (no software installation). The USB port will also charge the battery in the Media Manager, and will supplement the battery while the drive is being used.

I use my device both for storing images while traveling and as a spare hard drive the rest of the time to transfer files between my various computers (which is why I selected the larger 80GB hard drive). So far, it is working very well for both tasks.

stewart

--

UPDATE (11/29/07): Two individuals have reported problems after formatting the hard drive in this device using the NTFS file system. The device will not copy image files from the SD card afterwards. Because of that, I now recommend using the FAT32 file system when formatting the hard drive. Of course, Windows XP and later does not provide a means to format on a hard drive larger than 32GB using FAT32. Therefore, I also recommend using hard drives smaller than 32GB unless you're familiar with the workarounds for the FAT32 limitations within later operating systems. - stewart

-

Last edited by stewart_photo; 11-29-2007 at 12:29 PM. Reason: added update
11-10-2007, 05:35 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I have an Archos GMini 402 that can be used, among other things, to store and display image media. The Archos, unlike iPods, comes with all the cords and attachments. Newer models have larger hard drives but this one has a 20GB. When traveling I always bring it to listen to music. But by connecting the minicard reader that came with the SanDisk Ultra II SD card to the GMini I can transfer images off the SD directly to the GMini. It is really, really simple to do and it is something I always travel with anyway.

Last edited by J.Scott; 11-23-2007 at 05:13 AM.
11-10-2007, 08:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
Since I had several spare laptop hard drives sitting around the house, I decided on the Dooin USB2.0 Media Manager ($45 US). The company selling this device, USB Geek, is based in Hong Kong, China. Shipment to my location was reasonably quick, painless, and duty free.

The device is sold without a hard drive, allowing you to insert any, often inexpensive, 2.5 inch drive of your choice. I selected an 80GB hard drive, but a smaller drive would be fine for just storing images. Installing the drive involves removing four screws, inserting the drive (only fits one way), and putting the screws back in. Afterwards, charge up the battery and you're ready to go. It comes with a 100-240v charger (USA style plug requiring adapter plug elsewhere).

The card reader supports normal SD cards, but not SDHC cards. When purchasing an SD card, simply avoid the SDHC logo and it will work. Transfer speeds are limited only by the card itself. The reader will support any speed.

Operation is extremely simple. There are only two buttons, the "power" button and the "copy" button. Insert an SD card, hit the "power" button, and press "copy" to transfer images from the SD card to the hard drive. The device will turn off when finished. When you're ready to transfer the images to your computer (PC or Mac), plug in the USB cord and press power. The hard drive will appear on your computer as a normal hard drive (no software installation). The USB port will also charge the battery in the Media Manager, and will supplement the battery while the drive is being used.

I use my device both for storing images while traveling and as a spare hard drive the rest of the time to transfer files between my various computers (which is why I selected the larger 80GB hard drive). So far, it is working very well for both tasks.

stewart
can you view your images on this drive?, as in, when you are out, and copy images to it, can you look at them?

11-10-2007, 11:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
can you view your images on this drive?, as in, when you are out, and copy images to it, can you look at them?

No. It's strictly a storage and transfer device. The display only shows the simple menu options, current status (copying, etc), and remaining space on drive.

stewart
11-10-2007, 11:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

thanks stewart, might have to look into one of those, the ones with the display are so expensive !!
11-11-2007, 02:07 AM   #7
PDL
Pentaxian

As I have stated multiple times in this forum - I have a Wolverine flashpac 7000, the 40GB version purchased in late 2005. I use the device as the method to transfer data from my *ist Ds and K10D to my main PC. With firmware upgrades it currently supports SDHC plus most other flash media types.

This model does not support the viewing of images but Wolverine does make versions that can - I still do not know if it supports PEF or DNG. Then on the other hand, since I do not have one - I do not care. The last time I checked out their web site, Wolverine Data were selling refubished versions of my device for less than 100 USD. The base device comes with a USB cable and a battery charger. I purchased the 12 volt car charger, the 4 AA battery power pack and the camera case (which is my carry all my stuff around in all the time case) for less than 30 USD.

I used my Wolverine on my month long vacation to NZ last Dec - no need for a laptop. Using my workflow -
1. take out a SD card
2. insert into camera - if it is unlocked
3. format card
4. blast away
5. remove SD card and lock it
go to step 1 (yeah I know that goto's are bad -- but this is basic afterall)

6. Take out locked SD card(s)
7. Insert into Wolverine and push "copy button"
8. Verify that copy was successful.
9. Unlock SD card and put it back into the camera case.
10. repeat starting a step 6 until all "locked" cards are copied (happy now?)

This process worked well for me - and it should work for any of the devices on the market. Just practice it to where you really trust it. I did not trust my process a few times in NZ so I make four duplicate folders. (The Wolverine will create a new folder each time you press copy - so if you keep the same card in and hit copy, it will make four folders with the same information and 4 different names)

Nice Little machine - but with the K10D and 8GB SD cards, my 40GB drive is the bare minimum now. When I go to Italy next Oct for a workshop - I will take some DVD's along to offload some stuff. My son and I shot around 2,100 images (2,400 counting dupes) mostly RAW - the Toshiba Point and Puke died so we shared the *ist Ds (RAW only) at about 21GB. Do that with a K10D and the 40GB drive on this one just might get full.

Whatever you use, brand wise, these devices are a lot easier to take care of with less worries that a laptop. Besides, when I am on vacation - who wants to PP anyway - it's a vacation. You should spend some quality time with the family - just ask my wife.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL

11-11-2007, 05:33 PM   #8

hi

The Adventures of Ishpuini in Pentaxia: HyperDrive ColorSpace 120GB
i have the monochrome version, which i have only tested so far, haven't had a chance to use it properly, but it seems well made, and easy enough to use

if you want the speed advantages that come with it, you'll need to get ahold of the faster sd cards, extreme iii for sandisk, ultra ii only works at normal speed, which is fine, but not as awesome as the top rated speeds of the device

dave
11-12-2007, 07:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i ordered the first suggested device. As an IT geek, I have a few laptop drives just waiting to be used, smallest being 20, i think the others are 40-60. And 60 gig new is relatively cheap at under 50 bucks, so it fits the bill.

The only times I wouldn't sweat it would be my work trips, which are frequent enough. Those trips, I tend to bring my macbook along with my work laptop, but multiple copies of the same file is the best backup solution anyways.
11-12-2007, 08:44 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have thought about this several times.

I have 2 laptop drives in external cases, 20 GB and 80GB. I bought a data bridge that can copy from one uSB device to another, BUT each of the other devices needs to be self powered.
this means you need a power supply for the card reader, and another for the disk drive. Disks take about 10-15 watts, therefore 6 V at 2 amps. This is a tough thing to find.

I also thought about the problem of reading the photo's off the drive without laptop. There are CF cards with USB ports that can go into a CF compatible PDA. I am thinking about this direction since I just might carry my PDA with me anyway, and if I shoot other than my *istD, I can use the CF slot in my PDA for the adaptor. The PDA can view photos.

The other option, and this is looking more attractive, since the price is coming down, is to just get a small laptop. with a 10-12 inch screen. I saw one for $599, including 80 GB drive.

At an equal cost to similar disk sized photo wallet, WHY NOT? It has card readers built in, and can run photo software also. I think the ocst of the photo wallets is too high above the cost of a USB disk of similar size. In reality the market price shoud be about $200 for a 80-100 GB photo wallet with color LCD screen.
11-12-2007, 01:17 PM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
I have an Archos GMini 402 that can be used, among other things, to store and display image media. The Archos, unlike iPods, comes with all the cords and attachments. Newer models have larger hard drives but this one has a 20GB. When traveling I always bring it to listen to music. But by connecting the minicard reader that came with the SanDisk Ultra II SD card to the GMini I can transfer images off the SD directly to the GMini. It is really, really simple to do and it is something I always travel with anyway.
that looks pretty cool.
11-12-2007, 02:29 PM   #12
Veteran Member

You can buy Transcend type 6, 8Gb for € 52 over here.
That is ~50 Gb for ~ €300. In camera you can replay and edit.
So, what is the need for an image tank these days? Except for backup purposes?

- Bert
11-12-2007, 02:46 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
You can buy Transcend type 6, 8Gb for € 52 over here.
That is ~50 Gb for ~ €300. In camera you can replay and edit.
So, what is the need for an image tank these days? Except for backup purposes?

- Bert
As I said, the cost was too high for 40GB. BUT if you have a free hard disk, (i.e. dead note book etc...) and a case only costs you $50 to get integrated card readers a power supply etc, as opposed to $20 for the cheapest thing going, powered from the USB port only.

WHY NOT.

And yes, of course, at the current price of memory cards it really is only a back up.
11-12-2007, 03:31 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
the reason I wanted this option is kinda simple. Well, there are a couple of reasons, actually...

1-I don't like the chances of putting too many pictures on one card as much anymore. With all my other P&S cameras, it would not be unusual for the same card to be the only card (even though I own alternate cards, should one become full on a trip or, god forbid, experience a failure). For those cameras, this worked well for a couple reasons-1-no RAW and 2-smaller max MP size meant that even at the best settings, I fit alot on one card. For example, my wife's S2, on one of her cards (1GB), we can put a decent amount of video and images, somewhere in the range of 600+ on one card as it is currently configured. And my wife usually only takes that card out to print them, or when I take it out to download to the PC/clean off older content.
So, I am fine with 2GB as my large cards for the K10D, understanding that I am looking at around 200 pictures per card. I may move to 1 4gb or 8gb card at some point, but I'd like to see the prices come down a bit more, I think. I have the SanDisk extremeIII SD cards (3 of em) so as I understand it, their speeds are as good or better than most SDHC cards that are out.

2-I don't want to have just one 8 GB card, and I don't want to carry around 10 2GB cards either. I've got no problems with using 2 or 3 on a given day, then at night backing them up to the disk and starting fresh the next day.

3-It's nice to not need to always bring the laptop. No, I wouldn't PP on vacation, but even when I brought my P&S on business with me, I always liked to offload pictures at the end of the day.

Just to get an idea of my backup-often mentality, I have over a TB on my desktop system, and at this point probably approaching 1.75 TB (if not more) on external hard disks, and on some of my more frequently used drives, you would likely find multiple copies of the same images. Disk space is generally dirt cheap, and between working in IT and building my own PCs, I've acquired a lot of hardware cheaply so I don't sweat it as much. Any time I upgraded my PC, which typically meant a new hard drive, the old drive either stayed in and became D: or E:, or it was placed in an enclosure for backups.

So using the spare parts, as someone else mentioned, it boiled down to 50 for the device, or 50 for the 4gb card (or 8 if you got lucky and found a deal). So to me, 50 bucks to have 60 or more GB available to clear off cards, trumps a 4 or an 8 gb card at the moment. Not saying I will take 600 pictures on a week long vacation, but I am much happier knowing I can, if I choose to.
11-12-2007, 04:38 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since you have gone ahead and ordered a back up system and you mention you are an IT Geek, can I assume you have a PDA?

If so, look into a USB Host card for the CF slot, it will let you view your photo's on the backup drive