Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-05-2011, 10:33 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
On a side note it would be nice if they could extend the gps support to the kx and k7- but if they've stopped maintaining their firmwares, then the chances are slim.
They should definitely do it for the K-7. It was their flagship model only 2 years ago. That said, although the GPS unit is nice, is it that much desirable vs a GPS logger? While it's convenient, it's quite expensive, add bulk to the camera, cannot use the hotshoe for flash and doesn't record tracks. The future is integrated GPS into the camera. Sony does that for some of their models already.

09-12-2011, 09:13 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Maybe late into this discussion but I used the iGotU GT600 and got quite disappointed with it. Not very accurate tracking and lots of "jitter" (for lack of a better description) within the recorded track. I use open-source software which is better than the crappy software the manufacturer supplies. Below a small example, walking the dog around the neighborhood and if I zoom in I seem to have dragged the poor animal through a small canal (I actually walked across a little bridge), through people's houses and across a busy street with cars. Animal cruelty if you'd believe the logger ;-) .
GT600 track:

I managed to return it to the stor for a small fee after 2 months and purchased the Qstarz BT-Q1000XT instead: utter bliss! Dead accurate and extremely easy to use. Doesn't look as flashy or gadgety as the iGotU but beats it hands-down on functionality. Same walk the dog track below and no animal cruelty this time - the logger followed me every step of the way!
Qstarz BT-Q1000XT track:

[EDIT]
BTW, look at GPSBabel if you haven't already. Cross-platform (Linux, Windows and MAC), open-source software for a gazillion different makes and models. http://www.gpsbabel.org/
09-13-2011, 12:50 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I just use my phone's built-in gps and a little tracker app. It's surprisingly accurate and drains only 5-8% battery power per hour.
09-30-2011, 03:13 PM   #19
D W
Veteran Member

If you are going the geotagging route by using timestamp with an external unit; consider a real portable GPS as oppose to a one-trick pony at not much more cost.