Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2011, 11:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

How do i hold a welding filter against a lens?

I was in a flickr group the other day and saw a really interesting water picture made by using a welding glass filter (used to protect the eyes during welding) as a ND filter. I don'[t think they are that expensive, but how would one hold it still in front of a camera?

06-11-2011, 12:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I saw something very similar on DIY Photography.

Here's a link to that very article.

For those of you not clicking the link, it seems they left the lens hood mounted in the reverse mode on the lens. The welding glass was then rubber-banded in place using the slots created by the petals on the hood as divots which hold the bands in place.

Simple solution, although I doubt welding glass is coated. Or maybe it is... I don't know if a welder would appreciate glare on the thing he's trying to see through.

Anyway, yes, a 10-stop ND filter for all of $5-$10 is pretty reasonable!
06-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Buze over at Manual Focus uses a Cokin holder: Welding glass photography (Page 1) - Gallery - Manual Focus Forum
06-11-2011, 12:49 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Don't expect very good optical quality from a welding glass - but you may be lucky.

06-11-2011, 01:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

One might glue the glass to a step-up ring which would go on the filter thread; using rubber bands with a reversed petal hood sounds very handy too
06-11-2011, 02:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

i don't recommend using welding glass as an nd filter unless you already have one lying around. a cheap nd filter will give you better results and be easier to use than welding glass in the same price range.
06-11-2011, 02:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Be ready for a massive colour cast

06-11-2011, 03:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all, as always there is a terrific amount of knowledge available from the PF members. I'll look into it on Monday. I've done both gas and arc welding before, and remember that the acetylene gas filters were weaker and had more of a cast to them than the arc welding filters. Some of the TIG welders are involved in high quality work, so i believe the quality isn't too shoddy. may well not be up to Pentax standards though.

I'll write back if i come up with anything interesting.

best wishes,
06-11-2011, 06:42 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Some of the TIG welders are involved in high quality work,
That would be the welder, not the glass.
Don`t waste your time, just get the proper ND filter.
06-12-2011, 09:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Test a filter with the rubber-band method. If you like the results and want a 'pro' version, get a glass shop to cut it down to a circle that will fit into a standard filter ring, maybe 58mm or whatever.
06-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Through a welding lens, darkly

Well, thats my one and only picture taken through a #11 welding lens. Total cost: $3.20 American.

For some reason, it wouldn't meter correctly, i went +5 steps EV, and then probably another +2 in pp. Lots of green which might have affected metering, i don't know.

Ex finn was right. IQ was crappy. I focused prior to installing the welding filter over the lens, and there was a bit of wind, but trees were not as sharp as they should have been.

It does make me appreciate my Pentax lenses all the more
06-21-2011, 03:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Welding glass is good quality, it has to be because welders are looking through them all day and it's a basic health and safety issue. If the glass is distorted then the welder is at more risk.

I've used smooth edged welding glass in Cokin P filter holders and it's fine, you just need to experiment a bit to get the desired effect rather than looking at a chart to see what settings to use.

There's also many different grades of tint that are for different types of welding, from gas to mig / tig and arc.