Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2011, 02:05 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax and General DSLR Accessory Reviews

Hello all. If you dont know me, Im Jay. I was the person who orchestrated the Pentax shirts. I also have a YouTube site that I run where I review various items in DSLR Photography. I have made reviews for such products as Shutter Releases, Bags, Backpacks, Holsters, Straps, Screen Protectors, Tripods, and many many more.
After speaking with Adam (and getting his permission) I wanted to start a thread that I could use to bring some of these reviews to Pentax Forums. I see alot of people ask about these products, and wanted to be able to help as much as possible.
I do not get paid for these reviews, nor do I advertise on YouTube. So this is not something I am using to advertise. I dont sell anything, I just want to share some hands on time with these items.

Please be aware, I am NOT a professional photographer. I do not know every in and out, and I probably have more to learn about photography than most of the people watching these videos. I just hope that the little bit of insight I offer may help someone else make an educated purchase.

I will start off with the vidoes I currently have, and will add more as I add them to my YouTube Channel. Please be aware, This will contain a TON of videos, but I think it will be the best way to CLEANLY post all of them. Rather than have a thread for each one.

So please watch a few, leave your comments, and if you want, check out my channel and become a subscriber.

Thanks everyone!

Reviews posted so far:

-FotoDiox Ezlite portable Studio
-FotoDiox Portable Studio
-Dolica Portable Studio
-Think Tank Retrospective 30
-Dolica DK20 DSLR Bag
-Fotodiox Pro Co worker
-FotoDiox Trigmaster wireless flash and shutter system
-Fotodiox Wired Shutter Release
-GGS LCD viewfinder
-Hoodman Raw Steel 8GB SDHC Card
-Hoodman Hoodmag 3.0
-Hoodman Hoodloupe 3.0
-CarrySpeed CS1 MKII
-Think Tank Steroid Speed Belt and Skin Set
-Honl Photo Flash Accessories
-Cactus V5 Wireless flash system
-Cotton Carrier System
-Think Tank Retrospective 10
-Think Tank Urban Disguise
-Think Tank Digital Holster
-Think Tank Lightning fast and R U Thirsty
-Think Tank Airport Antidote 2.0
-Think Tank ShapeShifter
-Think Tank Streetwalker
-Tamrac Expedition 3
-Tamrac ZipShot
-Think Tank Speed Freak
-Think Tank Sling O Matic 10
-AA AAA Battery packs
-Dolica 67" Monopod
-GGS Screen Protector
-Dolica 62" Tripod
-Black Rapid DR1
-Black Rapid RS5
-Opteka Hand strap
-Targus Tripod
-Carry speed CS1
-CaseCrown Sling Bag
-Amazon Basics DSLR Bag

Last edited by SlickYamaha; 06-12-2011 at 02:23 PM.
06-14-2011, 04:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Any Comments? I would very much like to know what everyone thinks..
06-14-2011, 12:55 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Great stuff. Very helpful. Makes me want to spend a bunch of money.
06-14-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
haha, Thanks!

06-15-2011, 01:14 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very Nice, Jay! Having them available here will only improve an already invaluable Pentax resource! !!!
06-17-2011, 09:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

As I said in my PM to Jay, this page clogged the Google Chrome browser on my travel laptop -- it took over 1/2 hour to navigate away from this page. Killing the browser was not a solution, as I had other windows open that I didn't want to lose. Now I'm back home, loading this page into Firefox on my working-browsing machine with a 5mbs wired link, and after 15 minutes it is still trying to load all those videos. This is entirely too sluggish.

So: Listing these review videos is fine. Linking to them is also fine. But hot-linking the videos themselves places a great strain on older machines with slower net connexions. I suggested to Adam that he institute a flag for threads with heavy content. Without such a flag, I will find it necessary to avoid Jay's threads.
06-18-2011, 06:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Rico, I'm sorry your having problems. My connection isn't much faster yet all the videos load in less than 5 seconds. Its should be no different than youtube itself, our a picture heavy thread. In fact most contest threads take longer to load than this.

If a mod would be so kind, it would be much appreciated to add "video heavy" since it seems this may be causing a slight issue

06-22-2011, 04:56 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
So: Listing these review videos is fine. Linking to them is also fine. But hot-linking the videos themselves places a great strain on older machines with slower net connexions.
It's the Flash plugin for your system/ browser. Before I load this thread, my machine (very recent i7 quad) is at 3% processor load - click the link and load this thread, it varies between 60-80% load for about 30 seconds.

Flash is simply an ancient-code processor hog. Best solution would be for the forum software to have a user setting where Flash embeds are hidden until you click an "activate" button, but for your Rico, there are plugins for Firefox that do this already. Makes the web speedier.
06-24-2011, 12:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
It's the Flash plugin for your system/ browser. Before I load this thread, my machine (very recent i7 quad) is at 3% processor load - click the link and load this thread, it varies between 60-80% load for about 30 seconds.

Flash is simply an ancient-code processor hog. Best solution would be for the forum software to have a user setting where Flash embeds are hidden until you click an "activate" button, but for your Rico, there are plugins for Firefox that do this already. Makes the web speedier.
Im not sure, are the problems with the videos playing instantly when the page loads? The pictures show up within a few seconds, and I see no delay on my side
06-25-2011, 10:02 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Busy boy!

I'm really interested in your opinion of the Carry Speed and Black rapid mounting options. Do you think the offset mount of the CS is better or worse than the Black Rapid's central position?
06-26-2011, 10:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My original opinion was to favor black rapid, but after using both I like the carry speed alot more. The offset mounting paired with the tripod mount makes the carryspeed alot better.
06-26-2011, 05:06 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Thanks Slick. Have you tried the Carry Speed attached to a lens, like the foot of a 70-200/2.8? If so, how's that?
06-26-2011, 06:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I appreciate your time and effort on these. I watched your Opteka Hand Strap review since I have one. Its just too flimsy for me to be comfortable trusting my camera to it. Have you used yours extensively and found the plastic "plate" to hold up?
06-29-2011, 06:34 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I appreciate your time and effort on these. I watched your Opteka Hand Strap review since I have one. Its just too flimsy for me to be comfortable trusting my camera to it. Have you used yours extensively and found the plastic "plate" to hold up?
I have not had an issue, but I only used it on a kx, not a larger camera, nor one with a battery grip. It seems to hold up well though.
06-29-2011, 06:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Thanks Slick. Have you tried the Carry Speed attached to a lens, like the foot of a 70-200/2.8? If so, how's that?
Actually never tried it attached to the collar of the lens. usually I don't have the collar attached unless I know I'll be doing work with a tripod. But it seems to hold up well on my tamron 70-200 2.8 mounted directly to the camera. I don't notice a weight distribution problem at all