Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2011, 06:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I *LOVE* my Slingshot 100AW!

I already reviewed this bag in the review section, and I updated my thoughts there, but I just thought I'd post this here to see if there's any other Slingshot users around here.

When I bought my Slingshot 100, I didn't think I'd be able to fit a ton of stuff in there, but that was okay - I didn't have a ton of stuff to begin with.

I bought the 100AW a few months ago for my upcoming (9 days and counting) Europe vacation, intending on bringing 2, maybe 3 lenses, my K-X, and accessories.

Then, about a month ago, I got the crazy idea to start shooting film. So now, I'm faced with having to take a lot more stuff. Namely:

Cameras & Lenses
  • K-X
  • ME SE
  • Flip Mino HD
  • DA 16-45 f4
  • DA 50-200 f4-5.6
  • Takumar (Bayonet) 135 f2.5
  • Pentax-M 50 f1.7
  • Focal 28mm f2.8
  • 2x Teleconverter
Accessories (Listed by size)
  • Slik Mini II Tripod (Hooks on the side)
  • Giottos Rocket Ball Thingy
  • LensPen
  • Polarizer & Orange filter
  • 8x Energizer Lithium
  • 8x Eneloops
  • SD Reader
  • SD iPad adapter
  • SD Wallet with 32+GB of cards
  • Cable Release
  • IR Remote
  • Lens tissue
  • Microfiber cloth
  • "Diaper" Flash diffuser

Also in the picture is my bag of film (4x TMax 100, 4x Velvia 100F, 8x AgfaColor Vista 100), but that will be riding seperately in a clear ZipLoc. Not pictured is some of the technology that will be going along in another bag: iPad 32GB, Charger, Eneloop Charger, and plug adapters all around.

So, how does it all fit? Great! I'll have to take a picture with it all packed up. Here's how it works. I have the main cavity configured like this (just the dividers, not the equipment:

Actually, my 100AW came from KEH with extra dividers, so I have the two side areas reaching almost all the way across the bag.

So, in between the two pockets, I have the K-X, with the body cap facing the bottom of the back.

In the left side I have the two DA Zooms, with a padded divider in between them.

On the Right side, I have the ME oriented so that the body cap faces toward you, Pentaprism pointing toward the center of the bag. Stacked forward of the ME in that pocket are the 28 and the 50.

Wedged in the corner on the right is the 135/2.5, and wedged across from that is the flip cam. Floating in front of the K-X is the Teleconverter (which I don't think I'm going to take anyway).

The SD storage on the inside of the flap holds the iPad adapters.
The pocket on the outside of the flap has the tissue, microfiber, and flash diaper.
The top pocket has the filters, the blower, the pen, the batteries, the SD reader, the cable release and the remote.

Now, this is just to get through the flight there and back safely. For walking around I'll leave the unused equipment in my room safe, and my configuration will look a bit more like the above pic from Lowepro.

For example, for a few of the days, I won't be shooting film at all, so the primes and the ME stay home. On days that I plan to primarily shoot film, I'll bring the K-x and the 16-45, separated, in the side pockets.

All in all this is a great bag, and i recommend it because it's very compact, it holds a ton, and it doesn't scream "Mug me! I have expensive equipment!"

06-13-2011, 07:34 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't wait to see how you stuff it all in! I managed 2 dSLR bodies, a fistful of primes, and a flash...

06-13-2011, 07:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
NICE! Hadn't even thought of the second body up top. Hmmmm, maybe I should repack.
06-13-2011, 08:42 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

great use of the bag!
I have a couple of Lowepro Slingshots, the 300AW and 200AW and find them able to accommodate much more than i'd have expected. I use the 200 most often in the field and it meets all of my needs. I also picked up a LowePro sliplock lens case for my large 70-200/2.8 which velcros to the back or side of the Slingshot if necessary.
When in the field, i definitely use the sling aspect of the bag to quickly whip it in front of me to use as a portable table for lens changes, etc. I often keep the flap limiters closed and just access the camera and accessories from there to prevent spilling anything out. Consequently, i was able to turn one set of the dividers to allow them to open and be accessed via the side flap only; this has turned out to be a huge convenience, especially when switching quickly between 2 or 3 lenses.

I dont have a pic but hopefully i can post one up here since my description skills are lacking.

Also, i got to use the waterproof cover while at Disneyland when we got on the white water raft ride...i simply pulled the cover over and the entire bag stayed dry while the family got soaked. cool!

Last edited by mikeSF; 06-13-2011 at 09:38 AM.
06-13-2011, 08:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmmm, now I have to investigate the sideways divider thing you just described (totally get what you mean).
06-13-2011, 09:07 AM   #6
Pentaxian

FWIW, when I'm in a crowd I'll often carry the sling closer to the front AND I'll tuck the zipper pulls in or put them in an odd position (i.e., past the retaining clips) to make it just a little harder for a pickpocket
06-13-2011, 09:42 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i mentioned i also have the 300 bag which is just too big to load up and carry around for any lengthy hike, BUT it works great if i want to load it up with gear and shoot from my car. I also use it as lens storage at home and then fill the smaller (200) bag from it as needed for the shoot. So, i actually do love the large bag as well.
I got the 200 new at a steal (~$50) from a local dealer and it has turned out to be a great investment.
06-14-2011, 02:24 AM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
wow that's alot of stuff to put into that bag. I was eyeing this bag out. I liked it. But I also like a little bit bigger but not to big. Saw the lowepro fast pack 200 that too was an option.

06-14-2011, 02:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Glad you like it! my old man has the 102 slingshot and loves it, i have the 202 slingshot and will probably sell it soon as i dont really like it and never use it. My Lowepro Rezo 170 AW is my most used bag.
06-14-2011, 04:13 AM   #10
axl
Inactive Account

another vote for 100AW.
Great bag if you know how to pack it
06-14-2011, 05:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

This is old, and there have been some changes made since, but here's my Slingshot 300.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/518467-post20.html

*CHANGES*

Replaced the 18-55 with the 16-50.
Added an AF 540.
Added a Tamron 70-200.
Removed the Sigma 35-70.
Removed the Makinon 135.

That would be the max load out of my most often used stuff. I've since gotten hold of a Tamrac Velocity (6 I think) from a forum member, which is easier, more comfortable, and more convenient to carry. It gives better access to the camera, but not so much to anything else in the bag. It also doesn't hold anywhere near as much. But I now use that as my "to go" bag, and can hold my gripped K10D, 16-50, 70-200, 50, 1.4x TC, AF 540, cards, and some extra AA's. The Lowepro holds all of the extra stuff normally, unless I'm taking a boatload of kit with me.

As suggested, rotating the dividers to make them accessible from the flap not only is more convenient, but actually gave me more usable room.
06-14-2011, 07:09 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
My Tamrac Velocity 10 does not have nearly the easy access that the Lowepro seems to have. Everything is top loaded and stacked. I need to take a look at the Slingshots.
06-16-2011, 05:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
When in the field, i definitely use the sling aspect of the bag to quickly whip it in front of me to use as a portable table for lens changes, etc. I often keep the flap limiters closed and just access the camera and accessories from there to prevent spilling anything out. Consequently, i was able to turn one set of the dividers to allow them to open and be accessed via the side flap only; this has turned out to be a huge convenience, especially when switching quickly between 2 or 3 lenses.
this is how I have mine (200aw). I never undo the flap limiters. I do think it works best when you don't overload every compartment that can have something jammed in it. Gives you some wriggle room when trying to extract a lens or flashgun.
06-17-2011, 07:39 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okay, this is how it's loaded up now.

I tried turning one of the dividers sideways as suggested but I don't think it worked as well:

So I changed it back.

Sorry about the terrible pictures, with all this in the bag, I only have my awful point and shoot to take pictures with.
06-17-2011, 07:45 PM   #15
Forum Member

I've had the 200AW for a few years now and it's been very good to me. Very comfortable and convenient when you need to get or put away gear when you're on the move.