Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2011, 01:45 PM   #1

A Camera Bag to Shoot From

Last edited by a.seki; 08-20-2011 at 06:25 PM.
06-13-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Crumpler 7 Million?
06-13-2011, 03:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I was going to suggest the Crumpler 6MDH, I have the 5, 6 & 7 and think the 7 is too big to shoot from.
06-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Check out my review videos. I have posted reviews on several Think Tank bags that meet those requirements. (PM me if you decide Think Tank, I can help you out on the buying side)

06-13-2011, 04:15 PM   #5

I use two bags, I actually use more but the two that I think would suit your needs are:

Transport: Tamrac Pro 8 - Has served me well for years and would cover your equipment, tripod included.

Shooting: Lowepro Inverse 100 - Very comfortable belt system (and shoulder strap), easy access to everything while its on, I walk around with it in the rain without putting the all-weather cover on that is built-in.

Shooting with Pentax again has allowed me to make my 'daily carry' bag very small (I love the small LTD lenses). It's a Delsey GoPix, good luck finding one though...it was given to me years ago with a camera I bought...quality stuff.

All that said, good luck, I searched for years and have had probably close to 40 bags. Bags are a very personal thing I have found.

BTW - Go Canucks!
06-13-2011, 05:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Lowepro Stealth Reporter D400AW. Holds a Pentax with the DA*50-135 F2.8 mounted. Not sure about a 70-200. They also have a newer line - the Classified - that may be deeper and more suitable to the 70-200.
06-13-2011, 07:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Look for an old crumpler bunnyman on that auction site...
Perfect for my K-x, FA50, Tamron17-50, F35-70, Vivitar 19mm, YN560flash, Cactus V4's, 67mm polorizer, Cokin filters and adaptor, 4 sets of AA-battries and I reckon there's still space for another prime or 2 with a bit of jiggery-pokery...
All is well protected... My usual day bag...
If I want my tripod and more flashes and brolly I use my lowepro-flipside-300 (massive) which can pretty much carry everything I own plus an ME with the m-40 attached...

06-13-2011, 09:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Just got back from an event shoot today and pulled out all the stuff in the bag and snapped a photo of it. The bag is a ThinkTank Retrospective 20, which I got to replace a Domke J-2 and to complement a Domke F-3X, mainly for the times that I'm shooting with a 70-200 f/2.8 lens. I could have shoved more stuff into the bag, such as a UWA or a macro lens, battery chargers, flash triggers, cleaning supplies, etc. But since it was an all-day shoot I packed relatively light.

Regarding your criteria:
1) Padding is alright, think enough to protect from bumps while it's on your shoulder, but might not be enough to really pad from a fall. This is more of a shooter's bag than a storage bag. I prefer this padding over that in the Crumplers and the Domke J-2, which are all too thick and get in the way of lens swaps while shooting.

2) Yes, the TTR 10, 20 and 30 all look like normal messenger bags in either Pinestone or black.

3) The front compartment is large enough to hold a pro body and more, so if you're going for maximum storage capacity, you could put the body there, fit three large lenses (more if you stack them vertically) in the three lens columns, and stick two flashes in the inner compartments on the two ends. If you need even more space you can add on two more lens pouches on the loops at the ends.

4) I've stuck a monopod under the top flap with no problems. Some people stick one tripod leg into the end-loops as well. There are no proper tripod straps on this bag, since it was designed not to look like a camera bag.

5) The TTR will accomodate a 70-200 stored vertically. I've read that it can fit a camera mounted onto a 70-200. However, since I planned to be doing a lot of that, I went for the TTR20 instead. No problems whatsoever, and I can drop the camera with a 70-200 mounted into the bag at the end of the day without having to switch lenses around to get the gear to fit. The TTR20 is a couple of inches taller than the 10, and I like having that extra room so nothing has to be forced about.

6) TTR is comfortable worn on one shoulder or slung across the body. Both ways, it's easy to access your gear, whether you have it kept in the main compartment or in separate pouches on the ends.

7) There is a back pocket to keep notebooks, maps and other documents. There is a huge front pocket to dump a lunch box, spare clothing, etc. There are a couple of inner compartments that have pen slots, business card slots, and a lanyard with a clip which I use to secure my memory card pouch. I got a Lowepro bottle pouch to hold my water bottle, or any other small item I need quick access to.

8) The strap on this bag is super thick and it has a huge piece of padding which has jelly strips so it won't slip. Not as supple as the Domke straps but just as wide, so just as comfortable. Don't overload it and you'll be fine.

9) It has an all-weather which will shield the bag from the elements, although I've never deployed it before.

One last thing, I bought a Outdoor Research sternum strap so the bag wouldn't slide around while I was cycling, and found that it makes the bag more comfortable to walk around with as well. Something to consider for all messenger-style bags.
06-13-2011, 09:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

+1 on the Retrospective. I have the bigger model, Retrospective 30, and have had it for 7 or so months now. I'm very satisfied with it. build quality is superb and it fits my needs.

Was out few days ago and had it packed more than I usually do: K-x mounted with either of the Sigma 28-70 2.8 or Sigma 70-300 4-5.6 at different times. Doesn't matter as both will fit with the cam in the bag. Sigma 10-20 4-5.6, Samyang 85 1.4 and Voigtlander 58mm 1.4. I left my Metz 58 AF2 at home but it would have fitted nicely in its usual place on the side. I have enough batteries to last few months. Noteblock, pens, few filters on the side. 2 empty front pockets - they'd both hold a body or whatever each.

My bag moved quiet a bit around to when carrying it while riding my bike. I solved it by shortening the strap.
06-14-2011, 12:23 AM   #10

+1 for the Crumpler 7 Million. I do quite a bit of hiking, around town stuff and just shot at my cousin's wedding the weekend before last with this bag and it worked very well for me. I've taken it in the rain (not for long periods, but it's resistant, does well), dropped it and carried it just over 12 hours straight. I haven't owned too many bags like this, but I love this one so far.
06-16-2011, 01:30 PM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
+1 Another vote here for the Crumpler product range, I use one everyday a (messenger style, Daily 750 XXL) it can debadged easily and quickly and has the loudest Velcro on the planet, so I know when it's being opened.