Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-15-2011, 06:04 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've waited too long for a good tripod & head!

I don't get excited about much of anything anymore as I am getting older, but here I am making a shameless post just because I am, well......excited!

Just getting back into photography after a 10 year hiatus, I am gathering new equipment pretty fast. Thanks to all the folks who've written reviews and posted on the forums - you've all helped so much with my research.

Anyway - just received my Manfrotto 055PROXB, and bought a Manfrotto 410 geared head from a member here. I opted for this setup instead of a focusing rail system for now as I want to use the head for other things also.

06-15-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice but personally i find 3 tripods usually satisfy my support needs, so plan on having to aquiring more in the future
06-15-2011, 07:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

nice setup, though I went for a manfrotto 405:

06-15-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Nice but personally i find 3 tripods usually satisfy my support needs, so plan on having to aquiring more in the future
Yeah, I can see that coming already as I have 2 heads now and 1 tripod.....

06-15-2011, 07:50 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Yeah, I can see that coming already as I have 2 heads now and 1 tripod.....
I have two tripods; a heavy duty Giottos that I use for my heavier setups and a lightweight Slik for the 35mm cameras. I have two columns for the Giottos to allow quick switching between 3-D and ballhead and two more heads for use on the Slik (3-way pan and mini-ball). I keep thinking that a Berlebach with self-leveling camera platform might be nice and then there is also the occasional urge to get a geared head.

Steve
06-15-2011, 07:53 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
The 405 is definitely nice. Do you have any experience with the Manfrotto 400?

Steve
06-15-2011, 08:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The 405 is definitely nice. Do you have any experience with the Manfrotto 400?
yes I have used the manfrotto 400 head as nice as it is, it has exposed gears. It wouldn't take much in the way of moisture and dust to gunk up a mechanism like that. I chose the 405 because of is internally sealed gearing - which makes it more reliable in inclement weather.

06-15-2011, 09:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have the 055PROXB as well, I love that it can do what you've pictured yours doing, that's really come in handy!

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Why did they even bother putting petals at the end of that hood?
06-16-2011, 01:12 PM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I appear to be the odd one out here, I only have the one tripod a Benbo Clasic No 2 and I've been using one for over 20 years now, it offers great flexibility in terms of use.

Due to the unique way the legs and column lock, i.e. one bent bolt, which is where I believe is where the name comes from BENt BOlt. Originally based on a early machine gun tripod mounting from WW1.

The larger diameter part of the leg is at the bottom and slides over the upper part. This means the leg is effectively sealed up to the first clamp, on mine that's 0.84m (33") measured from the tip to the clamp, so you can stick it in sand, mud water, whatever you want without problems.

It takes a little getting use to, but the trick is not to loosen it too much, otherwise the legs go every which way. The double ended centre column offers a choice of standard 3/8" or 1/4" fixing.

It extends up to 2.56m (101") and closes down to 1.14m (45"), weight 3.75kg (8.27 lbs) all measurements are not including any head.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 06-16-2011 at 01:20 PM.