Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2011, 04:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Discreet and comfortable camera shoulder bag FOR PRIMES!

Apologies from the get-go, yes another post asking about "which bag is right for me", but y'all must appreciate that many of us folks in Australia don't have access to bricks and mortar stores with a range that extends beyond Lowepro, Inca, and a peppering of Crumpler. So trying before you buy is not a real option. So we must work off spec.

So I have been researching for some time for a top quality shoulder/messenger bag to carry my present kit - please see signature block. I still have the Domke F5XB, and love it, but it is not so good if I want to take my whole line-up along - including the Tammy macro. So I need something a little bigger...or longer.

I am smitten by the Think Tank bags, and would love to go that way. The only issue is that they, as with most bags of late, are SOOO high to accommodate zoom lenses. As we Pentaxians are mainly prime shooters I wondered if anyone else had suggestions for a bag that is discreet (don't look so much like a camera bag), not so huge (especially high [top to bottom] or deep [front to back] and will hold kit similar to mine...with maybe just a little more room to grow with a prime or two

Thanks for your help.

06-18-2011, 04:23 PM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Remember you can still buy the Domke inserts and use you any bag you already have, camera or otherwise for true stealth.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 06-19-2011 at 03:12 AM.
06-18-2011, 05:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Im using the Lowepro Rezo 170AW, as my main bag and I love it, its a smallish bag and sits quite slim agaisnt the body, but can fit alot with the Pentax system. In it at the moment is-
-K5/grip
-Sigma 610 flash/plus omnibounce
-DA15
-FA43
-FA77
-Blower/brush attachment
-4 spare AA eneloops (for flash)
-Lens cloth

And still have room for phone/wallet/keys, and could probably still squeeze in another Limited prime. I highly recomend it.
06-18-2011, 05:25 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Be sure to check out the larger Domke bags.

Chris

06-19-2011, 07:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Be sure to check out the larger Domke bags.

Chris
Yep, totally agree that most camera bags have oversized partitions for massive plastic Canon zooms.

Anyway, If you like your F-5XB then also consider an F-5XC in the version with the zipper in the lower section.
I have this one and partition the lower section to carry either a 55-300 or a flash.
The section "above" the zip is pretty much the same as the 5XB so I fit K7 in centre with 1 prime, and then either 2 (or even 4!) other primes stacked on each side with double caps (so up to 6 lenses! in a small bag)

I got an Olive coloured one from B&H in April (and wrote a review, gave it 5 stars)

In NSW you can get Domke from PhotoRiesel in Sydney or Photovideo in ACT which might be closer, but not sure if they have a walk in store.
Photo & Video Accessories Pty Ltd : Domke F-5XC Large Shoulder Bag Black [700-53B] - $124.00

Another possibly simpler and cheaper alternative for you might be just use your 5XB and have a lense pouch on a belt for the Tarmon 90 when you take it , Thinktank, Lowepro, Kata, Domke or whatever all have decent belt pouches.
06-19-2011, 01:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Steve and Chris: Good call on the Domkes and the F5XC Steve. I have contemplated the same from a 'local' Domke dealer. A shame he doesn't have a shop-front to try the bags out as their are other more traditional ones, like the F3 and F6, that might do the trick too. I have the olive in the F5XB and love it. Great colour too - funny how it's more unobtrusive than black - I have one in black too

kerrowdown: Thanks for the suggestion. I don't have a bag lying around that fits the bill. I costed them separately and once you get the inserts and the bag we arrive at a pretty similar price-point.

TOUGEFC: Really not sure about the Lowepros. I owned the MiniTrekker and really wasn't very impressed by the workmanship. Also their padding is SO fat....and I don't mean that in the young kid way I could take the kit down to the shop and try some out -we have a far bit of Lowepro stuff around. I wish they'd make their bags less camera bag looking too. But mate, glad you've found your bag! It's quite a battle.
06-19-2011, 08:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshunter Quote
TOUGEFC: Really not sure about the Lowepros. I owned the MiniTrekker and really wasn't very impressed by the workmanship. Also their padding is SO fat....and I don't mean that in the young kid way I could take the kit down to the shop and try some out -we have a far bit of Lowepro stuff around. I wish they'd make their bags less camera bag looking too. But mate, glad you've found your bag! It's quite a battle.
Fair enough, I have noticed when in store looking at them some do have fatter padding than others and some of them do scream camera bag. Yes it can be quite the battle to get the right bag!
06-19-2011, 09:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I know what you mean by the issue of having bag compartments too high.

I took a tip from this forum and puchased a couple of OpTech double end lens caps which allows me to stack 2 primes on top of on another safely, and without the hassle of fumbling them out of their little leather bags when it comes to change them. If you only take out 3 primes then you just need one (obviously one lens is on the camera).

The only trick with using them is you need to align the red dot of the lens with the "bump" on the double end cap. I spent ages fumbling with them until I realised this, the normal Pentax end caps aren't like this.

There's a pic of them in this post (front caps aren't to my taste though ) You can see the "bump" on them I refered to above.

Last edited by twitch; 06-20-2011 at 04:57 PM. Reason: EDIT: Fixed the url
06-20-2011, 04:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Twitch,

Mate I've been searching for one of these caps for ages - as I currently just stack my lenses on top of each other....I actually always thought these double caps were the handy work of guys with a tube of Araldite or SuperGlue Unfortunately, the link doesn't appear to be working, can I trouble you to retry.

Cheers.
06-20-2011, 04:46 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the F5XB too but prefer my Domke F3X. Both bags are approximately the same depth,
but the F3X has about 50% more usable interior space than the F5XB, plus two end pouches.
Also there's no annoying zipper to slow you down or massive Velcro to scare off wildlife and make small children cry.

You might also want to look at the Domke F6, which is even larger than the F3X.

I have tried many bags of different brands but the Domkes seem to be the only ones I keep.
They are well-made, not overly padded, simple and uncomplicated, and so easy to live with.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 06-20-2011 at 09:19 AM.
06-20-2011, 05:50 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Hi Twitch,

Mate I've been searching for one of these caps for ages - as I currently just stack my lenses on top of each other....I actually always thought these double caps were the handy work of guys with a tube of Araldite or SuperGlue Unfortunately, the link doesn't appear to be working, can I trouble you to retry.

Cheers.
Here is a link from the review section: Op/Tech Double Lens Mount Cap for Pentax reviews - Photographic/Pentax Accessory Database - Flash, Grip, Camera Bag Reviews

Op/Tech is a US based company. The only distributor in Australia appears to be Michaels (michaels Camera Video Digital, Melbourne Australia). They don't have the double cap listed on their website.

It looks like your best option would be to buy some Ebay caps and use glue.

Tim
06-20-2011, 06:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Hi Twitch,

Cheers.
Mark, funny you should mention those double caps. I actually ordered a couple a little while back but they were out of stock at the time so I canceled the order and never got around to reordering them. I should probably go ahead and replace that order now, so if you want some, let me know and I'll get a couple extra and send them to you. Should only be a couple bucks to ship them since they're light.
06-20-2011, 06:34 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Try this link posted by Soldbear https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/140351-pu...ml#post1467054

I have 2 in my 5XC (or Kata waist pack). Bought one from B&H over a year ago and thought damn why didn't I buy 2. I had to buy another lens from B&H just so I could get a second one. The things we do for LBA.

Again, like a good little consumer I wrote a short product review on B&H (gave it 4stars)

They're a bit tightger and harder to remove than the normal Pentax rear caps so I only use them when I have to stack to fit the lenses in.

I searched online everwhere in Australia & couldn't find them. Michael's might be the only possiblilty. "Twitch" got some Op/Tech straps from there a while ago.
06-20-2011, 07:14 AM   #14
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Take a look at the Think Tank Retrospective 5 bag. It's a new bag in their Retrospective line and comes in two colours, black and what they call pinestone, a greenish mottled colour. It has a flap top and a separate rain cover and also comes with extra dividers. I carry a K7 or K5 with a Gordy's wrist strap attached and four DA primes, 14, 21, 40, and 70. One lens is attached to the camera and the other three are in two partitions on either side of the camera. I do have to stack one lens on another, with padding between, for this to work. The bag depth is slightly more than the camera body on its side (no grip). I have tried Crumpler and Lowepro and looked at Domke (the zipper down the middle of the bag turned me off). None of the other bags I have tried are as suitable for street photography with multiple lenses as this one in my opinion. I've had it for two weeks now and have stopped looking at other bags as a result. Before then I was always looking for the perfect street bag.
06-20-2011, 05:02 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Hi Twitch,

Cheers.
Oops, I fixed the URL. I ordered the double end caps through Michaels in Melbourne, they don't regularly stock them but can order them in, took weeks though and were ~ $25 ish each if I remember rightly. Seems a lot for a piece of plastic I know, but they are very handy.

Superglueing single caps would work too, but I like having the "proper" ones as I have FA limiteds hanging off the caps and the last think I would want would be for the superglue to fail as I'm getting the lenses out while holding onto just one For my own peice of mind I'm happy to pay $25 to prevent a $1k lens crashing to the ground.