Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2011, 08:09 AM   #1

Pentax K-7 Battery Grip

This might just be a silly question or because I've got a knock-off grip from china but WHY aren't the female tripod threads on the grip lined up with those on the body... they're miles off the axis of the lens.

06-21-2011, 08:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roliver Quote
This might just be a silly question or because I've got a knock-off grip from china but WHY aren't the female tripod threads on the grip lined up with those on the body... they're miles off the axis of the lens.
It's the same on the genuine grip as well. I assume it's offset because otherwise it would interfere with the battery in the grip.
06-21-2011, 08:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I guess the mount is too deep to fit in the grip where the batteries sit, so there was a choice of making the grip deeper, or moving the mount.

I presume the decision was informed by the thought that if you're using a tripod you've probably got time to take the grip off. It's not like it adds functionality, it just duplicates it.
06-22-2011, 07:23 AM   #4

Original Poster
Ah, that's a fair one I guess. You can't really hold the camera by the grip anyway once it's got a tripod plate attached to it.

06-22-2011, 06:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by roliver Quote
Ah, that's a fair one I guess. You can't really hold the camera by the grip anyway once it's got a tripod plate attached to it.
Someone forgot to tell me; I've got QR tripod plates on the bottom of my battery grips all the time and it's never bothered me...
06-23-2011, 02:40 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
Someone forgot to tell me; I've got QR tripod plates on the bottom of my battery grips all the time and it's never bothered me...
Mine's the square manfrotto one. It just sticks into your hand along one of the edges and I can't seem to get a firm enough grip with it on. :S