Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tripod creep

I have a Bogen Tripod, but it has two legs that creep back up and I was wanting to know if any one knows if there is anything I can do to stop them from doing this. This tripod has screw locks, not flip locks. Somewhere in the back of my mind, years ago, I read that one could fix this by doing something to the screws holding the screw locks. But I can't remember everything that was said because of the time it was said.

06-21-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

A pic would help
06-21-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Find a tool that fits the screws and tighten them.
06-21-2011, 09:00 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
A pic would help
I don't have the tripod in the house right now and it's 12 am here, I'm not going to the car this time of night.

SpecialK thanks. I'll have to look at them again tomorrow, but I could not tell what kind of screw that was on there.

06-21-2011, 09:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

it all depends on the specific mounts obviously - but if its got a retaining 'nut' on one side it could be that this is pushed out of the hole a bit.

I also happened to come across this specific to a Bogen review:
QuoteQuote:
This is due to the knobs that lock the legs. Somehow the connection of the plastic knobs to the metal screws are weak and if you twist the knobs a bit hard, it will slip. Same thing goes for the ball head locking levers also. (They should have used an all metal knob or designed a better plastic to screw connection.) Because of this I'm hesitant to tighten reallly hard since I dont want to damage the knobs.
No idea on the specific Bogen you have though - and I'm simply guessing...

Last edited by adr1an; 06-21-2011 at 09:21 PM.
06-21-2011, 09:26 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I can't recall the exact model number but I thought it said "3005" on it. It's done this creep since I bought it two years ago. I've been meaning to check it out but haven't used it much until I got latest lens which has a tripod mount. My main reason for fixing it, I want to sell it so I can buy a newer tripod with flip locks and a lighter one. This thing weights too much to carry around.
06-22-2011, 07:11 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
It's a 3205, not 3005.

06-22-2011, 03:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

hex wrench that fits then replace springs.
06-22-2011, 04:04 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Not a hex screw. I brought the tripod in this morning and the screws are like a + sign but a normal slot screwdriver fits. I couldn't tighten them by hand. I started to try my battery powered screwdriver but it needed charging. I put in on the charger then got busy doing something else. I'll try that tonight sometime.

And I don't want to put any parts on it because I want to sell it. It's not worth enough to add new parts. I'd have to charge more then.
06-23-2011, 07:11 AM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Tripod creep
When I saw the subject line of this post, I thought it would be about that bloke who's always at the front, no matter where or when, hogging all available viewing space.
06-23-2011, 08:18 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
When I saw the subject line of this post, I thought it would be about that bloke who's always at the front, no matter where or when, hogging all available viewing space.
Title does sound that way eh. I call them field of view squatters. Makes me mad, when I'm at an event and have this camera in my hand, with a large zoom lens attached and it's like they don't even see you. GRRR!!!!
See my signature.