Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-24-2011, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lens Loop: A Better Camera Strap.

Hello everyone. I just came across this project from kickstarter.com and though it seemed like a worthy enough cause and wanted to share. As a disclaimer, I haven't yet, but do plan on puchasing one for myself which would give me a title of "backer" but outside of seeing the product actually being made and getting it at a discount of 20% off, I receive no financial gain from showing this to you. Also, to be double sure I wasn't breaking any forum rules, I did check with Adam to be sure I could post this.

It's a camera strap that is made from recycled automobile safety belts and screws right into the tripod mount on your camera. check out the link for more detailed info:

Lens Loop: A Better Camera Strap. by Vadim Gordin — Kickstarter

Also, it should be noted that the product will only be produced if the goal of raising $5000 is met. If it is not met, your credit card/payment will not be charged according to the site.

06-25-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Needs a way to lock the lock like the Black Rapid system. looks too easy to pull the ring off, or even come out accidentally.
06-25-2011, 10:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There's another system out there that's almost exactly like this,a sling strap deal that hooks either into the normal way or into the tripod mount. They even have a video showing it off. I don't think it's the same one, if this is new, but it's as much alike as I recall that it makes no difference really. So what's better about this one? Looks about the same to me. In any case I'm not real crazy about my strap going into the tripod mount or my camera hanging exposed like that at my hip. It's fine if you're not worried at all about theft, but this strap doesn't look like it would even protect the camera from random bumps, let alone thieves. That's the problem with this type of strap. The convenience of it is great, and it's easier on the neck, but you take your chances otherwise...
06-27-2011, 03:35 AM - 1 Like   #4

Good morning everyone. My name is Vadim Gordin. I'm the smiling face on the Lens Loop video.

To answer your questions,

@irishwhite, Thanks for sharing the Lens Loop on this forum!

@Arpe, In the process of selecting hardware for the Lens Loop, I tested a dozen snap swivels from a number of manufacturers and found that this swivel is both safe and comfortable.

My friends and I have shot with it for two months doing both hiking and outdoor photography and its never been an issue.

There are two things preventing accidental disconnects are (1) the spring holding the gate closed is very strong and (2) there is so much rotational freedom in the connection between the camera and the strap that getting the snap "pinched' in such a way that the gate opens is next to impossible.

@magkelly, If you're talking about the Black Rapid strap, that device is what caused me to make my first DIY sling 2 years ago. Unlike the Black Rapid (and most other camera sling for that matter), the Lens Loop

1. Can be worn with a backpack strap
2. Has no protruding straps or pads to get in your way or catch on clothing
3. Has no shoulder pad to get moved out of position.
4. Is made in the USA
5. Is made from recycled materials
6. Is available in multiple colors
7. Is sold at a fair price

Thanks for the support! Please let me know here or through the Kickstarter page if you have any other questions or comments!

-Vadim

06-28-2011, 04:01 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Good on ya for replying! Thanks for the info.
06-28-2011, 01:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

My Pentaxian friends, avoid any strap that mounts to the tripod socket. I had the socket ripped out along with the back plate on a Nikon FG Japanese camera years ago. A DSLR camera with a high end zoom lens weighs around 1.4 Kg. A shock load on the strap is easily around 7 to 12 Kg - enough to rip the tripod socket out.
Even dynamic loading over a prolonged period of time can damage your expensive gear.
I used to own a Rolleiflex TLR on which I mounted a flash bracket via the tripod socket. In a rush at a marriage function the camera back twisted out, ruining what would have been a $ 2000 prize today.
Why do you think camera manufacturers provided (2) lugs at the optimum point on the DSLR chassis? At best these straps are expensive gimmicks.
06-28-2011, 01:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nanhi Quote
My Pentaxian friends, avoid any strap that mounts to the tripod socket...
Your warning is not unfounded. In general I don't trust single support point. So here is my strap setup: link to post.

01-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
AllI can say is that I backed them via Kickstarter and received a strap for it. I have replaced my Black Rapid strap with it and have used this strap for over a year.
01-07-2013, 10:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biggreek Quote
AllI can say is that I backed them via Kickstarter and received a strap for it. I have replaced my Black Rapid strap with it and have used this strap for over a year.
And your post turned this thread back up. I'm thankful! I think I will pick up one of these straps and use it with the acra tech swift clamp (or something similar that is cheaper, if I can find it).
01-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Can't say I'd want to use this..in addition to the single point of failure, i don't think I'd want my camera swinging around down there. I like to keep it up on my chest, especially when I'm moving so that I can support the lens and mount and of course protect it from the environment.
01-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I think a strap like this is probably not so necessary with short to moderately sized lenses, but I can see it being really nice attached to the lens foot of something longer like a 70-200mm f2.8. I can't find a comfortable way to carry my k5 with a long lens attached using the regular strap points that also allows for quick and easy access.
01-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crossmr Quote
Can't say I'd want to use this..in addition to the single point of failure, i don't think I'd want my camera swinging around down there. I like to keep it up on my chest, especially when I'm moving so that I can support the lens and mount and of course protect it from the environment.
Yes, I think, this is one of the weaknesses of all the straps, that attach to the tripod mount. The other is, that the tripod mount is blocked and I would need to remove the screw, whenever I want to attach the camera to a tripod - which I hate to do.

Therefor I prefer a tradition strap, attached to the mounting eyes on the camera.

Ben
01-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I like that the Lens Loop strap shown here fits easily in a bag, but no padding on the shoulder strap would be a problem for me when carrying a DSLR with grip and large tele lens, or DSLR, grip and flash.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
Yes, I think, this is one of the weaknesses of all the straps, that attach to the tripod mount. The other is, that the tripod mount is blocked and I would need to remove the screw, whenever I want to attach the camera to a tripod - which I hate to do.
The Carry Speed strap is designed to address this. CS-PRO MK II Camera Sling System by Carry Speed | Carry Speed Store. I bought a CS-PRO, but I don't use this feature. I prefer to remove the strap when mounting on a tripod.
03-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lens Loop no pad

you don't need a shoulder pad...the belt is a recycled seat belt. Much better weight distribution per square inch.
03-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vadimgordin Quote
GUnlike the Black Rapid (and most other camera sling for that matter), the Lens Loop

1. Can be worn with a backpack strap
2. Has no protruding straps or pads to get in your way or catch on clothing
Funnily enough I just photographed a rugby game in the weekend wearing my BlackRapid RS-7 and my Lowepro backpack with no problems at all. CAn't possibly see how it would be a problem. My strap also never catches on clothing and has no protruding straps.