Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2011, 02:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
O-gps1

Has the new hotshoe mount GPS unit been discussed yet?

06-25-2011, 03:58 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A little bit here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/official-pentax-news/146161-pentax-announ...x-cameras.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-25-2011, 02:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks!
07-08-2011, 09:19 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have anyone got this, yet? Or heard anything about delivery?

07-11-2011, 12:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

DPR posted that DC Watch tested O-GPS

Friday, 8 July 2011 19:36 GMT
Japanese website DCWatch has published a test of the star tracking feature of Pentax's O-GPS module. The Astro Tracer mode uses the GPS coordinates to calculate the camera's movement relative to the stars, then utilizes the camera's image stabilization system to shift the sensor to track that movement. The report, which is a little tricky to follow in its Google-translated form, includes several example images, showing the system's effectiveness. (From DCWatch)

Google Translate

A little tricky to follow? I couldn't make much of the translation.
07-12-2011, 05:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The original was written in nice non-technical terms and easy to read. Why bother with crappy machine translation? Just invest a few years of your life and learn to read Japanese.
07-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
The original was written in nice non-technical terms and easy to read. Why bother with crappy machine translation? Just invest a few years of your life and learn to read Japanese.
Thanks but I think I'll pass on that. I notice you live in Japan, can you give just the gist of their review? Did it work as advertised? Did it have any quirks/issues?

07-12-2011, 10:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The guy got aggravated with the calibration process, but that was about it.
07-12-2011, 10:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
The guy got aggravated with the calibration process, but that was about it.
Calibration huh, doesn't sound that much fun, I hoped for Plug & Play
07-12-2011, 11:13 PM   #10

From what I can tell in the article it seems that the calibration is somewhat akin to the iPhone gps interference method, whereby you swing it around like a right git. Is that the case?
07-13-2011, 12:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crf529 Quote
From what I can tell in the article it seems that the calibration is somewhat akin to the iPhone gps interference method, whereby you swing it around like a right git. Is that the case?
Thats for Digital Compass - not the GPS.... (different solid-state circuits entirely) GPS direction relies on movement, Digital Compasses are similar to Gyro's in operation.... and dont require directional movement...
Not to mention iPhone GPS has a Circle of Error of about 7-12m's and is only a 1hz refresh rate - they'd be big-ass, long-running circles to calibrate GPS

Thats perhaps what requires calibration in this sense - does this device come with a digital compass - or is it using only the gps for directional information ? I'd hazard a guess it does include a compass, as they are cheap as chips these days (as are gyros thanks to iphones, wii's, etc... ) and so it can tell precise directional information when stationary for the astro-stuff ... GPS purely gives you a lat/long and altitude based on triangulation using encoded time pulses sent from known locations (the satellites) - and from that can also extrapolate speed, direction, etc

O-GPS1 probably even has another 3-axis gyro in it too - logically so that it knows to tilt the SR up or down or sideways etc relative to the camera position and lens tilt.....making the whole thing potentially a dirt cheap IMU with what would logically seem a fairly high refresh rate (order of prob 5-7Hz at least... if not 10Hz..... hmmmm...... has me thinkin now...)
The rest is then simply plotting the location against almanacs pre-stored in the firmware and appropriately moving the SR to compensate... it doesn't even have to know 'what' your tracking but just rather where you are looking in the hemisphere and at what azimuth etc... then determine what track rate etc accordingly based on Focal Length... think of it as a complicated Exposure Table...

All of this adds up to why the calibration dance is necessary for the compass/gyro .... (and my thinking ran away with me...)

Last edited by adr1an; 07-13-2011 at 12:48 AM.
07-13-2011, 06:06 AM   #12

Guh I feel like an idiot, brain fail day. Not only is it GPS but thinking about it for less than a second now, being so it won't even receive both L1 and L2 so that level of co-ordinate accuracy is....uhhhh....yeah.....big circles lol.
07-13-2011, 12:47 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It has to be turned 180 degrees or more through all three axes until the unit is satisfied and gives an OK. The guy said he had to stand there rotating the camera/unit combo practically until his wrist hurt. Precisely what he was calibrating wasn't so much the point; it was the aggravation of it.