Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2006, 06:47 PM   #1
Inactive Account

two 2gb cards -- which one?

Hi guys, I'll finally enter the world of Pentax this Christmas when I get my K110D. However, I haven't bought a card yet, and I'm debating which one I should get.

Right now, at Fry's Electronics, there are two 2GB cards: A Kingston 30x (FRYS.com*|*Kingston) and a PQI 60x (FRYS.com*|*PQI). Both are a rock-bottom $12 after rebates.

I know Kingston is a more established brand than PQI, but the PQI is a bit faster. I can split my photo-taking habits into two categories: Many shots taken relatively quickly, but several seconds apart at the least, and a few shots set up with the tripod and the calculator, taken several minutes apart. I've used the continuous mode on my camera once in the last two years, though. I'm new to SLR cameras, so are there any other considerations that may influence me to get the faster speed? Also, if anybody has either of these cards, in any size, have you had any problems?

12-15-2006, 08:51 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A 30x card is out of the question, but 60x is enough for the K110D. You might as well make a better investment than $12, though, as that seems too good to be true, even with today's falling prices.

As a matter of fact, some of the cheaper cards perform worse despite having the same official parameters. The ones that are just marked down are OK, but others may be made of inferior elements and may be "fake." (google that)

Try any lexar card (60-80x) for starters, or consider the Ultra III (133x) photo cards. And if you want real performance, turn to EP memory- all their cards feature 150x speeds and are non-SDHC, even at 4GB.

Feel free to search the board for more info on SD's. Hope this helps

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-15-2006, 10:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Just to throw out my experience - I use SanDisk Ultra II SD cards which are rated at 60x. I've shot motorsport shots and found it more than adequate. It's nice to have the speed for spur of the moment shots where you want to take a handful of shots before the action ends. 60x should be more than enough for everyday shooting.

I don't have experience with PQI SD cards, but I do own one of their USB flash drives and have found it reliable.
12-16-2006, 04:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Rakesh,
I bought a pair of Trancsend 2Gig 150x cards from New Egg. They work very well. I don't know if the K110 can take advantage of all of this card's speed, but if you use a card reader to transfer your images to your pc, it screams. Very noticeable difference from my 60xand 80x cards. The K10D, by the way, can utilize every bit of the card's speed.

My advise is to stay away from standard rate cards, and buy the fastest card you can afford.

Hope this helps
-Alan

12-16-2006, 10:27 AM   #5
Rak
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm not too concerned about the speed of transferring photos to my PC, although in the future I may be.

I've checked other threads as well, and the general consensus on this forum is that 60x matches the speed of the K110D, and I'll only notice anything faster while transferring to my PC.

Standard SD speed is 33x. My dad had a 128 which we bought over 3 years ago that is 33x. The Sandisk Ultra II cards are 60x, which is the same as the PQI card. The Extreme III cards you mentioned, however, are 133x, but my camera won't be able to utilize the speed. Right now, I'll stick with a 2GB. Also, Lexar (like Sandisk) cards start out at 33x but 60x and 133x cards are offered.

After weighing all my options, I've decided to wait a little while and get a Sandisk or ACP-EP card. Indeed, Mo, you're right -- $12 is too good to be true -- I want a card that can last the thousands of pictures a year I take.

Since this card will be the only card I will need in a long time, it's best to consider everything before buying a cheap card. Besides, I can't open my K110D until Christmas, so I've still got 10 days to find a good deal. Fry's Electronics seems to have new deals every week, so it's only a matter of time before an Ultra II drops below $30. If there are no good deals by then, I'll get the 2GB Ultra II from Fry's.

One quick question: If a 2GB card is rated at 133x, does that mean it has to be SDHC, or does it have to explicitly say "SDHC"?

Last edited by Rak; 12-16-2006 at 01:54 PM.
12-16-2006, 02:38 PM   #6

I believe SDHC refers only to capacity (Secure Digital High Capacity), not speed.

I purchased a 2GB Corsair 60x SD card from Newegg.com for about $30 after shipping. If my K100D ever shows up, I can tell everybody how it works, but Corsair is a good name in memory, so I would expect it to perform just as reliably as a Kingston or SanDisk.
12-16-2006, 04:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I find the Kingston 50x card works great in my K10d as fast as the 150x card I have... Maybe 50x is the max speed of the K10d???

EDIT: There is a difference in the card reader, but not in the camera...