Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2011, 10:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Safety: Pixco hand grip and Sun Sniper shoulder strap

Hello,

I have a Pixco hand grip. It's never been off the camera ever since I bought it some 3, maybe 4 months ago, and I've never experienced any issues so far. I also don't find myself having to screw it tight all the time, or even occasionally.

Today I just bought me a Sun Sniper shoulder strap - I'm wondering if it would be safe enough to screw the strap directly onto the hand grip. I could take it off and I might, but I'd like to know anyways.

Ps. I have the older strap model with this type of hook.

06-27-2011, 11:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I think it would depend on how much weight you typically carry (what body + what lens). Your hand-grip's base is plastic with, I'm guessing, a steel threaded insert for tripod mounting. The plastic is obviously your weak link. Hard to say for sure if it would always hold. It might make me a bit queasy to try it with a heavy lens or if I was being particularly active (yeah, right!).

You could go to a heavier-duty hand grip, such as what camdapter.com offers. Their bases are all metal and are certainly up to the task.
06-27-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good point regarding the weight. I own a K-x and my heaviest lens without a tripod mount ring is the Sigma 28-700 f2.8 @ about 645 grams.

Your guess is correct in that the base is plastic while the screw (incl. tripod insert. They are both of one part) is metal. I once read about a Manfroto tripod (metal) plate not being able to cope with the load when the camera was being used with a shoulder strap, so naturally I'm curious to know if I'll be running into similar issue.

The plastic base would be the weakest point if we look at how much load the grip can handle, but I always hold my camera. It might not always be a tight grip, but I never completely let go like I've seen some people do. It's mostly because otherwise the cam/grip would slip off my hand. I prefer to have it a bit loose otherwise I can't operate the camera at all.
06-27-2011, 11:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I wouldn't use the Sun Sniper shoulder strap with one attach point to the Pixco hand grip. I just don't trust the metal tripod insert in plastic.

Here is my strap setup.

06-27-2011, 11:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
Good point regarding the weight. I own a K-x and my heaviest lens without a tripod mount ring is the Sigma 28-700 f2.8 @ about 645 grams.

Your guess is correct in that the base is plastic while the screw (incl. tripod insert. They are both of one part) is metal. I once read about a Manfroto tripod (metal) plate not being able to cope with the load when the camera was being used with a shoulder strap, so naturally I'm curious to know if I'll be running into similar issue.

The plastic base would be the weakest point if we look at how much load the grip can handle, but I always hold my camera. It might not always be a tight grip, but I never completely let go like I've seen some people do. It's mostly because otherwise the cam/grip would slip off my hand. I prefer to have it a bit loose otherwise I can't operate the camera at all.
Yes, I do the same with my hand strap. I never completely let go of the camera. Your strap looks exactly the same as the Pentax-branded one that I used to have. Because I never let go anyway, I decided I wanted something that was easier to get in and out of, which led me to the camdapter strap. Ultimately not as secure, but much quicker/easier to get on/off and very well-made. The other advantage is that their base is available with an arca-swiss adapter, so attaching to a tripod head takes literally 2 seconds. I guarantee you that their base/adapter would hold up to use with a Sun Sniper-type strap.

BTW, I don't have any financial connection to Camdapter, I'm just really pleased with their products.
06-27-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
I wouldn't use the Sun Sniper shoulder strap with one attach point to the Pixco hand grip. I just don't trust the metal tripod insert in plastic.

Here is my strap setup.
Great idea. I did get the feeling that a single point didn't feel secure enough to me. I hadn't yet come up with the idea to expand it, so I could have 2 safety points. I'll defo look into it.

What kind of thingy would I need to archive similar result. I don't know the word so can't start googling.

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Yes, I do the same with my hand strap. I never completely let go of the camera. Your strap looks exactly the same as the Pentax-branded one that I used to have. Because I never let go anyway, I decided I wanted something that was easier to get in and out of, which led me to the camdapter strap. Ultimately not as secure, but much quicker/easier to get on/off and very well-made. The other advantage is that their base is available with an arca-swiss adapter, so attaching to a tripod head takes literally 2 seconds. I guarantee you that their base/adapter would hold up to use with a Sun Sniper-type strap.
Sounds very interesting. I own a cheapo tripod (bought it not too long ago) but I really do not know much about them. I sometimes left the grip it on when mounting to the tripod, because I felt it was a too big hassle. But the camera is more secure/stable when I mount without the grip.

The adapter will fit most tripod mounts?

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
BTW, I don't have any financial connection to Camdapter, I'm just really pleased with their products.

Edit: Just been browsing the camdapter site and it seems there is a variations of adapters - which one to get? And it's even different from cam to cam. again, I have no idea about tripods so I don't know which route I might take once I decide to buy a proper one.

Last edited by Zafar Iqbal; 06-27-2011 at 12:38 PM.
06-27-2011, 12:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The adapter will fit most tripod mounts?
It'll fit arca-swiss type clamp tripod heads, or other clamps if they are adjustable.

06-27-2011, 12:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Edit: Just been browsing the camdapter site and it seems there is a variations of adapters - which one to get? And it's even different from cam to cam. again, I have no idea about tripods so I don't know which route I might take once I decide to buy a proper one.
Arca-swiss is the "most" universal so that's usually a safe option. Keep in mind, though, that we are talking about clamp-type mounting, not screw-in (well, the adapter screws in to your camera, but you then clamp the adapter to your tripod head).

Woo-hoo! This is post #1000 for me.
06-27-2011, 02:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, and gratz with your 1000th post
06-27-2011, 02:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

What kind of thingy would I need to archive similar result. I don't know the word so can't start googling.
Op/Tech sling adapter: link.

Note that the product description says, "(the sling adapter) is designed to convert most Op/Tech straps into an over-the-shoulder sling...." but I use the sling adapter by itself. I do have several Op/Tech straps but none is needed.

Op/Tech harness: link.

Op/Tech wrist strap: link.

Quick release plate: link.

The connector at the bottom of the camera (attached to the quick release plate) is from an OP/TECH Pro Strap: link
06-27-2011, 04:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the links. I've momentarily cannibalized my hand grip and used its strap to gain a second security point. It works rather well it seems but I feel all naked now when holding the camera
10-26-2011, 12:03 AM   #12
MJ.
Inactive Account

OH6I use one , everything is OK