Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Would you recommend OptiBright on the KatzEye Plus?
I have and like my OptiBright and would recommend it 360.00%
I have or had OptiBright but would not recommend it 240.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2007, 12:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
KatzEye Plus 100% ... to OptiBrite or not to OptiBrite, that is the question... ++

Regarding ...
QuoteQuote:
"OptiBrite will not affect the ‘blackout’ phenomenon, where half the prism(s) turn black around f5.6 or so. The OptiBrite treatment only affects the brightness of the matte (ground glass) portions of the screen. ... Please be aware that in most cases, the OptiBrite treatement does not change the light metering significantly. However, in some cameras the increased brightness of the focusing screen resulting from the OptiBrite treatment may slgithly affect the camera's light meter. In cameras that are affected by the treatment, the effect is usually minimal – OptiBrite treatment will typically cause no more than a 1/3 EV shift of the light meter."
I decided I'll definitely get the KatzEye Plus for the K10D (w/the Plus version fending off blackout above f/5.6). I am also considering the OptiBrite, as I don't see 'great' and have really only had success manually focusing with the Voigtlander 125/2.5 which makes it easier w/its 700 or so degrees of rotation, so thinking "all the light I can get" would be a good thing.

However, I've come to understand from a few posts that changing the light through the grid changes what the meter reads; let in more light, bt don't compensate with EV adjustment, and you'll underexpose you picture. I've read a lot of complaints about the OptiBright on this board. The quote off Katz's website states I should only expect a 1/3 'adjustment' needed. It seems a bunch of people would disagree though? Do I understand however that that needs to be rechecked frequently is changing lenses or even just apertures?

So the question 1) Is anyone happy with OptiBright on your KatzEye screen on your camera and would recommend it?

Next question, I want to get the standard K10D's grid lines, and another. The architecture lines seem 'busy' but I see how that would fit with the standard grid lines. I really want the rule of thirds grid, but it seems that would 'clash' with the standard grid lines.

Question 2) Does anyone have the standard K10D grid pattern, plus the rule of thirds grid pattern on their KatzEye? and do you like it?

Thanx very much for reading and additionally for your contributions,
-steve

Last edited by m8o; 11-18-2007 at 12:21 AM.
11-19-2007, 11:55 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
So the question 1) Is anyone happy with OptiBright on your KatzEye screen on your camera and would recommend it?
Hi Steve,
As far as I know all the screens now made with OptiBrite. I've been using my Katz' screen ("Plus" version) for about a year and I must say I'm pretty happy with it. Manual focusing accuracy improved significantly (now it's 90-95%). Exposure metering seems to be correct. I directly compared katzeye against oem screen by checking shutter speeds on the same lighting conditions - there's no defference. So yes, I would recommend it.