Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2011, 03:09 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K20D + iPad + EyeFi?

Good evening all,

Im looking for information/experiences from Forum members who have used a k20D and iPad and EyeFi card for wireless tethering.

I really want to tether my camera to my iPad and this is the only way I know to do it.

Cheers
John

07-04-2011, 04:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good morning John,

I had a go with this combination and ended up returning the EyeFi card for a refund.

It worked, sort of, but I think that this combination doesn't have all the bugs worked out of it yet.

The K20 did tether with the ipad but at times not all the photos seemed to want to transfer and I found that the EyeFi lacked control. They try to make it so automated and user friendly and it seems to lack some manual control.

i.e. If several photos didn't upload, I couldn't find a way to manually 'force' them to upload.

It looks like a great option considering how Pentax doesn't care about tethering (K20d can use the Pentax Remote Assistant but it's crap software and no Pentax after the K20 comes with the Remote Assistant)

I would like the Eyefi to work, it would solve a lot of my problems but I just feel that the solution isn't 'there' yet. However, your mileage may vary as they say. When it DID work, it worked quite well and seamlessly. It seemed to work better with my Mac than with my ipad, that may be a reflection on how it has to shoehorn in on the ipad by creating a small local wireless network between itself and the ipad.

I'd advise to give it a try but make sure you can return the card if it doesn't work out for you. You may have complete success with it.

Hope this helps.

Michael
07-05-2011, 08:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Works ok if you only set one network to the eyefi (to tie directly to the ipad or android phone/tablet). Set it to 6MP JPEG images (I have the eye fi pro x2 and RAW transfer is so slow it's not worth it so don't waste your money on the "pro" version) to keep transfer time down. It'll be enough for you to check focus.
It does run hot and your K20D battery will drain faster :-P