Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2011, 12:31 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Thanks Yeatzee,

I've been studying the subject of the linear stage with micrometer. Sounds like its what I need.

My preference would be to move the camera too. Moving my subject, mostly fragily bugs and stuff, could shake them and mess up their position. A camera doesn't have that fragility.

But I just can't see how to mount the camera to such a stage. I found male/male standard tripod screws on ebay, would that work? They're really VERY cheap.

I want to use it with this one: Linear Stage Positioning & Micrometer | eBay because it has the standard tripod mount.

I personally would not even consider that one. 5mm of travel? You want at least an inch trust me. 2" even better. Also i'd hate to have the micrometer in the middle... off to the side is much better IMO. Also it seems to be to small.... the 420 newport is as small as i'd suggest.

Mine has three holes on both sides in the middle that are large with no threading. I just bought a nut and tripod sized screw at homedepot and fed it through the middle. Simply screw the camera/bellows/Lbracket in and your good to go really

07-08-2011, 01:08 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
I personally would not even consider that one. 5mm of travel? You want at least an inch trust me. 2" even better. Also i'd hate to have the micrometer in the middle... off to the side is much better IMO. Also it seems to be to small.... the 420 newport is as small as i'd suggest.

Mine has three holes on both sides in the middle that are large with no threading. I just bought a nut and tripod sized screw at homedepot and fed it through the middle. Simply screw the camera/bellows/Lbracket in and your good to go really
Sadly, I am unable to find a newport stage here. (Not under €400,- anyway!) What about the other one that was suggested to me? This one: Del-Tron 701M Linear Stage w/ Starrett Micrometer A4 | eBay

It has more travel, but not lots. 1,3 cm. Should be more then enough for tiny critters. I could mount it on my cheapo focus rail, for start positioning.

Having the meter in the middle is no problem for me, I think. The wheel of my focus rails in in the same position. So I'm a bit used to that.