Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-30-2011, 07:43 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
If you are a tinkerer, you may want that old camera as a source of spare screws. If you ever lose a screw on a camera that you are trying to fix, you'll want an old camera like that one. I have thrown away a couple of cameras like that, but I scavenged the screws first and stored them in an empty pill bottle.
Too late but an excellent idea. I have a bunch of watch screws (my other hobby) and they are for that exact purpose. I'm finding that all my watch repair tools are appropriate for lens work but I am too skittish to try my hand at a good lens, hence sending them off to Eric for CLAing.

07-30-2011, 06:12 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Good deal on the bellows! Now you can start accumulating enlarger-projector-copy-xray-etc lenses.

The camera: donate it to Goodwill, eh?
07-30-2011, 06:14 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Good deal on the bellows! Now you can start accumulating enlarger-projector-copy-xray-etc lenses.

The camera: donate it to Goodwill, eh?
Do you have a tutorial on enlarger-projector-copy-xray-etc lenses?

No, I just tossed it - didn't want anyone else to shell out any money on it.
07-30-2011, 06:52 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Veteran Member

TUTORIAL ON NON-CAMERA LENSES:

* Enlarger lenses (ELs) have apertures (often with the numbers upside-down). Others like projection lenses (PLs), copy lenses (CLs), etc don't; either shoot wide-open, or improvise some Waterhouse stops or baffles.
* Some people report better sharpness with reversed lenses; I haven't tried that.
* Non-camera lenses usually require hoods to cut flare and increase contrast.
* Many ELs have 39mm / L39 threads; M39-M42 adapter rings are dirt cheap. Some ELs are M42 -- no problem. Many USA ELs, and other non-camera lenses, have inch-based or other nonstandard threads, or even no threads. The cheap solution: cut holes in cheap M42 body caps (about US$2 each) and stick the lenses in.
* ELs-PLs-CLs longer than 80mm can often reach infinity focus on bellows. Shorter ones can't and can only be use for closeups on bellows, but may be used for fixed-focus work on tubes.
* Some xray and copy lenses, even those marked as being greater than 80mm, may only be usable for extreme closeups.
* Longer lenses (>140mm) may require macro tubes as well as bellows, to reach a decent close-focus distance.
* You can never have too many macro tubes. Get the cheap non-auto ones.

That's a start. I gotta go cook dinner now. Ciao!

EDIT: Potatoes are being nuked, so I have time for a little more.

* ELs are fairly predictable; PLs ain't. I prefer those meant for 35mm/135 slides, which usually have focal lengths in the 60-150mm range. (I especially like PL zooms, which can be marvelously hacked.) Those meant for 16mm or 8mm cine aren't really usable on our cameras.
* Some non-camera-lenses come in weird-size bodies. Duct tape is your friend here, as is contact cement. Don't be afraid to sacrifice cheap tube sections to be adapters.
* Almost any optical material can be stuck into something that can mount on bellows. Lenses from old folder, box cams, polaroids; eyeglass and magnifier lenses; crystals, prisms, fresnels, headlight lenses, etc. Lotsa fun!

Oops, there goes the timer. Gotta go.

Last edited by RioRico; 07-30-2011 at 07:41 PM.
07-31-2011, 07:41 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
TUTORIAL ON NON-CAMERA LENSES:

* Enlarger lenses (ELs) have apertures (often with the numbers upside-down). Others like projection lenses (PLs), copy lenses (CLs), etc don't; either shoot wide-open, or improvise some Waterhouse stops or baffles.
* Some people report better sharpness with reversed lenses; I haven't tried that.
* Non-camera lenses usually require hoods to cut flare and increase contrast.
* Many ELs have 39mm / L39 threads; M39-M42 adapter rings are dirt cheap. Some ELs are M42 -- no problem. Many USA ELs, and other non-camera lenses, have inch-based or other nonstandard threads, or even no threads. The cheap solution: cut holes in cheap M42 body caps (about US$2 each) and stick the lenses in.
* ELs-PLs-CLs longer than 80mm can often reach infinity focus on bellows. Shorter ones can't and can only be use for closeups on bellows, but may be used for fixed-focus work on tubes.
* Some xray and copy lenses, even those marked as being greater than 80mm, may only be usable for extreme closeups.
* Longer lenses (>140mm) may require macro tubes as well as bellows, to reach a decent close-focus distance.
* You can never have too many macro tubes. Get the cheap non-auto ones.

That's a start. I gotta go cook dinner now. Ciao!

EDIT: Potatoes are being nuked, so I have time for a little more.

* ELs are fairly predictable; PLs ain't. I prefer those meant for 35mm/135 slides, which usually have focal lengths in the 60-150mm range. (I especially like PL zooms, which can be marvelously hacked.) Those meant for 16mm or 8mm cine aren't really usable on our cameras.
* Some non-camera-lenses come in weird-size bodies. Duct tape is your friend here, as is contact cement. Don't be afraid to sacrifice cheap tube sections to be adapters.
* Almost any optical material can be stuck into something that can mount on bellows. Lenses from old folder, box cams, polaroids; eyeglass and magnifier lenses; crystals, prisms, fresnels, headlight lenses, etc. Lotsa fun!

Oops, there goes the timer. Gotta go.
Another Plus 1 for you! Thanks, these are things I have never even considered for an SLR or dSLR before reading your posts.
07-31-2011, 09:02 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just picked up an Asahi M42 extension tube set (with case) for $6.00. Even after shipping it was less than half what KEH wants for the same set.
07-31-2011, 09:06 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I just picked up an Asahi M42 extension tube set (with case) for $6.00. Even after shipping it was less than half what KEH wants for the same set.
Cool. I love a bargain.

07-31-2011, 09:19 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Another Plus 1 for you! Thanks, these are things I have never even considered for an SLR or dSLR before reading your posts.
Thanks. I'm going to write this up as an article. I still have a couple articles to go -- on non-camera lenses, on macro math, on stuff that can be hung on lenses (filters, optical adapters, etc). Stay tuned.

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Yes, with M42 sets going for US$6 and PK sets for US$7 shipped quickly from Shanghai, there's no reason NOT to have a few sets of each. But guess what? Collectors hare here too! I had a short set (2 pieces) of M42 tubes and a 2x TC, marked Sears, in original boxes -- and they were bid up to US$30 on the bay! The generics sell for US$10. Hmmm, I wonder what my mint Ricoh tubes are worth... ???
07-31-2011, 05:00 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. I'm going to write this up as an article. I still have a couple articles to go -- on non-camera lenses, on macro math, on stuff that can be hung on lenses (filters, optical adapters, etc). Stay tuned.
I look forward to it. Each of your articles has been highly educational for me. Perhaps pics for this one to illustrate your points?

Yes, with M42 sets going for US$6 and PK sets for US$7 shipped quickly from Shanghai, there's no reason NOT to have a few sets of each. But guess what? Collectors hare here too! I had a short set (2 pieces) of M42 tubes and a 2x TC, marked Sears, in original boxes -- and they were bid up to US$30 on the bay! The generics sell for US$10. Hmmm, I wonder what my mint Ricoh tubes are worth... ???
With, or without, the infamous Ricoh pin?