Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just scored on ShopGoodwill

Another thread here asked about ShopGoodWill.Com and I hadn't been there before so I thought I'd take a look for myself.

I scrolled through the cameras, they list them in several categories but the search is fairly poor, so it takes some time.

Saw a listing for " Pentax IQZoom 105WR Weather Resistant Film Camera" but the thumbnail picture caught my eye.

So I looked further and guess what I found - an old film camera sure, but also a single rail bellows listed in the text as "Pentax Asahi bellow unit with box"!

Score - $9.

Last edited by Docrwm; 05-06-2013 at 08:11 PM.
07-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
But the bellows won't fit on your IQZoom camera, you've wasted your money!!

Seriously, somedays you do get lucky don't you!!
07-12-2011, 02:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
But the bellows won't fit on your IQZoom camera, you've wasted your money!!

Seriously, somedays you do get lucky don't you!!
Yup. I kept waiting for someone else to see that in the thumbnail. It looks good but it will take around 2 weeks to arrive from what the site says......
07-15-2011, 11:45 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My latest score was a P3n that "didn't work" for $12. I noticed in the photos it had a genuine Pentax M42-K mount converter attached, the lens being a Vivitar screw mount 28/2.8 with Hoya C. PL and Skylight filters attached. Shipping brought it up to ~ $25, but the adapter alone costs more than that new. Just played around with the camera a bit and found that the reason the shutter wasn't firing was that the film rewind pin was still depressed. It popped right out when I rolled the film-takeup spool a touch. All works fine now!

07-15-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I will admit to finding a 'find'. Not on Goodwill but on the 'other' well known auction site.

A person was selling a Metz 45 CT-5 flash unit with rechargeable battery pack and adapter for a very reasonable price ~$20 + about $10 shipping. It was advertised as 'not working' and that Metz had indicated that it would need a new capacitor.

I thought it would be good for parts (I wanted the AC adapter) and got it for the price listed.

When I received it, I popped in a normal AA pack of batteries and found that the flash worked perfectly. The rechargeable pack was dead and was so dead that the plastic of the holder was slightly melting when you tried to charge it. I put in a new set of AA rechargeables and it charged perfectly. Flash still works fine today.

Somedays you do get more than you imagined.
07-15-2011, 12:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I will admit to finding a 'find'. Not on Goodwill but on the 'other' well known auction site.

A person was selling a Metz 45 CT-5 flash unit with rechargeable battery pack and adapter for a very reasonable price ~$20 + about $10 shipping. It was advertised as 'not working' and that Metz had indicated that it would need a new capacitor.

I thought it would be good for parts (I wanted the AC adapter) and got it for the price listed.

When I received it, I popped in a normal AA pack of batteries and found that the flash worked perfectly. The rechargeable pack was dead and was so dead that the plastic of the holder was slightly melting when you tried to charge it. I put in a new set of AA rechargeables and it charged perfectly. Flash still works fine today.

Somedays you do get more than you imagined.
Yes, but then there are the other times......

I just sent 3 lenses off to Eric for cleaning that were advertised as clean. Still an Ok deal with the fees for cleaning but certainly would not have bought all three. Nonetheless, I am very happy with the Bellows (having not received it yet)
07-17-2011, 05:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wow... talk about a mismatch. Love it!

07-17-2011, 06:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by George Lama Quote
Wow... talk about a mismatch. Love it!
Sort of like real life isn't it!! Somedays you win & somedays you wish you hadn't got out of bed.
07-18-2011, 05:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sort of like real life isn't it!! Somedays you win & somedays you wish you hadn't got out of bed.
Yes, hopefully at the end you come up on the positive side!
07-18-2011, 08:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Unit arrived today. The camera it came with is ...well...a POS frankly. But the bellows came with the original box and sleeve and looks to be in descent shape. I'll do a light integrity check when I get home but so far so good. It is an M42 bellows but from what I can tell the unit should be able to be used with the M42-K adapter and one of my SuperTak lenses without any problems
07-18-2011, 09:48 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The bellows looks quite like the one I have, I just needed to get an M42 lens for one end & I already had the adapter for the other end. As long as the bellows is in good shape (no holes) then you'll be fine.

Looks like a good find, you can always 'ebay' the camera or give it away as a present. (to someone who you don't want to be friends with anymore!)
07-18-2011, 10:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The bellows looks quite like the one I have, I just needed to get an M42 lens for one end & I already had the adapter for the other end. As long as the bellows is in good shape (no holes) then you'll be fine.

Looks like a good find, you can always 'ebay' the camera or give it away as a present. (to someone who you don't want to be friends with anymore!)
The camera was not worth even fiddling with - too many things wrong with it- so it was circular filed.
07-18-2011, 10:53 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Interesting isn't it. The camera is probably about 40 years more recent than the bellows but the bellows probably still work.

Hmmm, something very profound about that!!!
07-18-2011, 11:13 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Interesting isn't it. The camera is probably about 40 years more recent than the bellows but the bellows probably still work.

Hmmm, something very profound about that!!!
Yes, the bellows is steel and paper but even the paper appears to be intact. The camera was nearly 100% plastic.......
07-30-2011, 06:49 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The camera was not worth even fiddling with - too many things wrong with it- so it was circular filed.
If you are a tinkerer, you may want that old camera as a source of spare screws. If you ever lose a screw on a camera that you are trying to fix, you'll want an old camera like that one. I have thrown away a couple of cameras like that, but I scavenged the screws first and stored them in an empty pill bottle.