Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-22-2011, 09:14 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote

I am pleased to report that mine is back from Eric in working condition (for now). He did caution that it may only be a temporary fix though. Fingers crossed!
Hi Nick,

Good to hear! I will keep my fingers crossed for your AFA.

Scott

07-25-2011, 08:38 AM   #17

Photos: Albums
Scott, thanks your prof. explaination!
So my perfect match will be M 50mm F1.4 ~~~ M 85mm F2.4.......
07-25-2011, 11:49 AM   #18

Photos: Albums
Nick, Great to hear that! It would bring more fun to your shooting.
03-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Resurrecting my own thread, it turns out the repair did not last long. My local place doesn't want to work on it either, says they can't get parts. I am thinking about trying to take it apart just to set it to infinity, so at least I can use it like that. Anyone tried any disassembly on one of these?

03-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Bugger again!!!!

I've not taken a AFA 1.7x apart, but I did once take a 2x AF apart, I popped off the K-mount and the shaft that does the AF just fell out, maybe thats all you need to do to stop the AF action, or,,, just manually move the element to infinity, and always have the camera set to MF when using it.

Sorry to hear it didn't last

cmohr
03-16-2012, 11:55 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, with a little screwdriver action in the AF slot I was able to advance the lens group all the way to the end, so I at least have infinity focus. I guess it will be a manual 1.7X TC with great IQ that reports accurate aperture information. That's worth something, anyway!

On a tangent, my local repair shop charged me $5 for an estimate. 24 hours later they called back and said they couldn't get any information or parts from Pentax, so it was unrepairable. But they couldn't tell me exactly what was wrong with it, because they didn't do anything else after they heard that. They wouldn't refund my $5, though, despite not providing me with an estimate or really any information at all. Am I crazy to think that is bad customer service? Their policy is that the estimate charge goes toward the cost of repair, but forfeit if you decide not to have anything done. I was in a pretty bad mood about the failed repair, so maybe I am overreacting. :-)
03-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, thats pretty standard charging, they charge for a quote, which only comes off you repair bill if you continue wit the repair, at leaset it was only 5 bucks, not something crazy like 60.00.

Even as a MF teleconverter you should be happy, as you say, good info transfer from lens to camera, see how it goes.

all the best

cmohr
Arrrrrrrrr.

03-18-2012, 07:08 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Well, with a little screwdriver action in the AF slot I was able to advance the lens group all the way to the end, so I at least have infinity focus. I guess it will be a manual 1.7X TC with great IQ that reports accurate aperture information. That's worth something, anyway!
Absolutely. It's also worth quite a bit even just for parts, as these AFAs don't grow on trees anymore. That said, I'd bet someone in Japan could get it repaired pretty easily...
03-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Absolutely. It's also worth quite a bit even just for parts, as these AFAs don't grow on trees anymore. That said, I'd bet someone in Japan could get it repaired pretty easily...
I was thinking that too, almost certainly someone in Asia could fix it. But C.R.I.S. was skeptical here, so maybe Pentax has given up on these.