Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2011, 02:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this how a hand painted muslin should feel?

So I purchased a little backdrop kit recently, and figured I would pick up a few backdrops to go with it. I grabbed a few that I liked from various companies. Some on the cheap, some a little more pricy.
3 of them were "cowboy studio" (which I knew going in were going to be cheapos,) but I also got 2 from "Vinyl Ease" and one from "Owens Originals"

The owens one is great, but the Vinyl Ease is horrible. Its claimed to be "hand painted muslin" (which all of them claimed "muslin")

The Vinyl ease (the cinnamon one in the link) almost feels like a paper bag made out of leather. Or a really thick, really old tarp. It is so rough and thick, it feels absolutely horrible. The rest are made of cloth, and very nice, but this.. ehh. Is that how a "hand painted muslin" feels? I ordered two and they were both like that, one i sent back because it wasnt close to the color in the picture, but the Cinnamon one I kept. But it is so rough, I cant imagine keeping this thing, I almost want to send it back and just get more cloth ones....

So I guess my question is, should a hand painted muslin feel like this??

Amazon.com: 10' x 20' Hand Painted Muslin Background - Cinnamon Dreams - Made In The USA - V9002: Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: 10'X20' Electric Blue Muslin Backdrop-Owen's Originals: Camera & Photo

07-16-2011, 03:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Anyone?
07-16-2011, 05:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hand painted muslins can feel a bit rough, they're not smooth cloth.

Apparently, muslin can mean different cloths in different countries. In the U.S. it refers to a firm cloth while in the UK muslin can mean something different. The cloth used in the U.S. and called muslin is apparently closer to calico in the UK.

I have several and they are quite rough feeling. Do you like the colour and the way it works?

Backdrops we use at Lifetouch (the school photography company) are very thick and have to be rolled up rather then just crumpled and stuffed into a bag.

I'm just curious as to why you're concerned about the 'feel' unless the intent was to wrap or drape it around a model.
07-17-2011, 05:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Painted muslin, if really painted, will probably be rough. A couple of my muslin backdrops are quite heavy and rough to the touch, particularly the heavily painted ones. My canvas backdrops can rip skin off should you scuff a knuckle on them - not only is the canvas heavy duty, but the gesso coating (black, white, or black in my case) add a nice grit to it.

That said - backdrops are not about how they feel, but about how they look. As Michael pointed out, unless you're wrapping material around someone, feel is irrelevant. If you are having someone wrapped in material, you don't want a backdrop - you just want fabric (which you can buy at a fabric store such as JoAnn's).

I've purchased various fabrics to use as drapes, covers, wraps, accessories, etc in my shoots and even then I tend to go for the thicker stuff - easier to control, mold, and keep wrinkle-free.

07-18-2011, 05:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by George Lama Quote
Painted muslin, if really painted, will probably be rough. A couple of my muslin backdrops are quite heavy and rough to the touch, particularly the heavily painted ones. My canvas backdrops can rip skin off should you scuff a knuckle on them - not only is the canvas heavy duty, but the gesso coating (black, white, or black in my case) add a nice grit to it.

That said - backdrops are not about how they feel, but about how they look. As Michael pointed out, unless you're wrapping material around someone, feel is irrelevant. If you are having someone wrapped in material, you don't want a backdrop - you just want fabric (which you can buy at a fabric store such as JoAnn's).

I've purchased various fabrics to use as drapes, covers, wraps, accessories, etc in my shoots and even then I tend to go for the thicker stuff - easier to control, mold, and keep wrinkle-free.
Yes, I purchase fabric there as well for smaller objects.

I had tried to describe the feel to give the overall texture of it. The feel itself doesn't bother me. (maybe if I have someone lay on it, it will bother them) The problem with it being so rough is A. It doesn't lay flat at all, and B. When people walk on it, its extremely loud and crackly.
Imagine a 10x20 thick tarp, and that is exactly how this is, minus the color.

None of these are deal breakers I guess. Just wondered if anyone else had experienced this.
07-18-2011, 05:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SlickYamaha Quote
The problem with it being so rough is A. It doesn't lay flat at all, and B. When people walk on it, its extremely loud and crackly.
Imagine a 10x20 thick tarp, and that is exactly how this is, minus the color.
With that further description your background does sound rather different from any I've ever used before. Certainly not that thick and crunchy. Mine are rather thinner and although slightly rough could still lay flat (more or less).