Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2011, 02:53 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Report 8003 Vs Report 8013 Vs carbon fiber?

I'm curious about which carbon fiber could be equivalent on term of performance at the:
Berlebach Report 8003
Berlebach Report 8013

And also given that the Berlebach tripod are make from wood how are contrasted the problem of moths?

As you noticed on the pdf indicated here the Giottos MT 8170 obtain similar performance at the wood tripod with two legs segment, while remain a little worst at the pendulum test, weight only a little less but cost more then the double.

Note:
On that heavy test wasn't used the center column.

07-23-2011, 07:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alexfoto Quote
how are contrasted the problem of moths
Maybe this did not translate well? You are worried about moths?
07-23-2011, 10:57 PM   #3

Original Poster
I use google translate so i don't known if the translation is accurate so i write on italian:
"tarme"
the insect that eat the wood.
07-25-2011, 08:12 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK, I think the word in English would be termite. I would not worry about termites or any other insects on a wooden tripod. No insect will bother dry wood. So the only way it might be a problem would be if you buried the tripod in damp earth for a year or so.

I cannot help you with the comparison but I have read that wood removes vibrations the best with carbon fiber second and then metal. Carbon fiber is much lighter than the wood though.

I have read good comments on the wood tripods except that they are very heavy.

07-31-2011, 02:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have never heared anybody complain about wooden tripods eaten away by bugs . I have used woodent tripods with large film cameras (Arri 16mm) in the past and still use them, when max. stability is important for my astronomical telescopes. They are sturdy, very good in reducing vibrations and comparetively cheap (compared to Gitzo CF). You could consider Berlebach or Wolf (something like a Berlebach spin-off) tripods.

Wooden tripods are often used by nature photographers, because they withstand the elements and when worn-off, you can easily repair and refit them. Also, many photographers using large format cameras stick with wooden tripods, because they expect max. quality from their equipment.

On the other hand, modern aluminium or CF tripods are usually a bit faster to set-up and may be more lightweight. It is a matter of personal preferences, which material you choose.

Ben