Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2011, 03:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Memory Cards

Alright, I'm sure this has been asked before but I was going through my equipment today looking to unload a few items I no longer need. I came across two unused SanDisk Extreme III memory cards. Both are 4gb SDHC cards and both are marked as offering 30mb/sec 200x read and write speeds. The difference? One is labelled as Class 10 and the other as Class 6. More specifically, the class 10 card simply reads 30 mb/s and the class 6 card reads "30mb/s Edition."

I am aware of the SDHC performance classes and what they mean. But, in the particular case of these two SanDisk cards - both advertising 30mb/sec 200x read and write speeds - is there any functional difference assuming they are put into service in the same device? Or could these simply be two otherwise identical cards, just labelled differently because they were manufactured at different points in the evolution of standards?

Any SanDisk users out there who can speak from experience?

07-24-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, theres one easy way to find out (if you can be bothered) Back to back test.

I've had Class-6, Class-10 and U-1 Sandisk cards. For single shot Class-6 seems adequate for K200D K-7, K-x etc but for continuous shooting mode there is a notable differnce emptying the buffer.

Memory is cheap these days, those cards you listed are onlt about 10 bucks.
I bought a few U-1 cards from B&H a few months when they were on special for pretty much the same price as Class-10 cards.
The first CF card I bought in 2003 was a basic Sandisk 256MB which cost me A$250 !!!