Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2011, 07:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Remote control

I keep looking for a remote for the K-5 (and previously for the other DSLRs I've had) but there are so many, some seem to be for many different cameras, I just don't know which to get.

I'm looking for wired, I think, I don't want to flash, just looking for something which will remotely trigger the shutter, so I can use B mode. Any other extras most welcome, but thats my basic requirement.

Is there one which is considered to be best, most reliable, etc etc? All suggestions (and links to information) appreciated. Thanks in advance

07-25-2011, 07:39 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Don't know if it's the "best/ most reliable", but this is the one I ordered with the camera:

Pentax Cable Switch 205 (Cable Release) - 1.6' (50cm) 37248 B&H

Simple, basic wired remote release. Only has about an 18" cable, however.
07-25-2011, 08:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentikonian Quote
Don't know if it's the "best/ most reliable", but this is the one I ordered with the camera:

Pentax Cable Switch 205 (Cable Release) - 1.6' (50cm) 37248 B&H

Simple, basic wired remote release. Only has about an 18" cable, however.
Thanks for that, I did look at it in the past, but because it did not say that it would work with the K-7 or K-5 I hesitated. Lots of stuff on ebay too, but again, very rarely mention compatibility with K-5.

Would it be safe to assume if it works with the K20D it would work with the K-5 (obviously in the case of this one, it does). 18" seems very short, I think I'd like a longer cable, I'd hate to accidentally jerk it. Or maybe I should be looking for wireless :-/
07-25-2011, 08:37 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
Thanks for that, I did look at it in the past, but because it did not say that it would work with the K-7 or K-5 I hesitated. Lots of stuff on ebay too, but again, very rarely mention compatibility with K-5.

Would it be safe to assume if it works with the K20D it would work with the K-5 (obviously in the case of this one, it does). 18" seems very short, I think I'd like a longer cable, I'd hate to accidentally jerk it. Or maybe I should be looking for wireless :-/
It wasn't very clear when I was looking either, but it is listed as an optional accessory on page 349 of the K-5 Owner's Manual.

Length... I have a wired remote on my other camera and it's about 24" in length, and sometimes it is long enough I have to worry about catching the cord or wrapping it up to keep from catching it. Sometimes longer isn't "better". I use it exclusively for tripod work, and haven't found a need (yet?) for a longer cord.

As for wireless - yes it would give you better range. For me, I prefer having the ability to use "bulb" with the wired remote. I can use the self timer for some of the other remote-type tripping. (If I find I need the wireless, I'll get one at a later date.)

So, if you don't use "bulb" much (or at all?) the wireless might be a better option for you.

Having choices is a good thing.

Last edited by Pentikonian; 07-25-2011 at 08:38 PM. Reason: oops
07-25-2011, 08:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentikonian Quote
So, if you don't use "bulb" much (or at all?) the wireless might be a better option for you.
There is a few wireless ones that allow 'latching' so that you can use bulb mode remotely quite easily...
07-25-2011, 08:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK, looking like wired is the way to go. Maybe both, in time. No, wont be using Bulb much, but it would be nice to have the option as said in my first post.

I'll keep looking Thanks guys.
07-25-2011, 08:58 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by adr1an Quote
There is a few wireless ones that allow 'latching' so that you can use bulb mode remotely quite easily...
Hadn't seen that... I'll keep it in mind for later. Thanks!

07-26-2011, 11:55 AM   #8
Pentaxian

On the K-5, you can use any wireless remote with Bulb mode -- see pages 115-116 of the manual. Custom Setting 19 ("Remote Control in Bulb") allows you to open the shutter with a first press of the remote, and then close it again with a second press.
07-28-2011, 01:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, guys... very much.
07-28-2011, 06:02 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
On the K-5, you can use any wireless remote with Bulb mode -- see pages 115-116 of the manual. Custom Setting 19 ("Remote Control in Bulb") allows you to open the shutter with a first press of the remote, and then close it again with a second press.
Thanks for pointing that out. Although I have read the manual - it seems I need to reference it much more as I'm not remembering as much as I thought. Kyteflyer - sorry for any incomplete/ erroneous info I tossed your way.