Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Looks like the m42 adapter is aimed at reversing at the filter end which may not be the same as m42 lens mount and not many threads if it did fit.
Jake

01-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bjake Quote
Looks like the m42 adapter is aimed at reversing at the filter end which may not be the same as m42 lens mount and not many threads if it did fit.
Jake
m42 is the same for filter and lens. In any event I use them interchangeably with success.

There seem to be sufficient threads to hold a heavy lens (it is intended to be a lens reversal adapter in the first place so should support quite a bit of load.)

Therefore I think the probability it'll work well is quite high. I've ordered to parts to try it and will post the results in a couple weeks.
01-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Looks like my theory was wrong on the m42 reverser threads.Sounds like you have a m42 bellows,if so could you look at the camera mount to see if can be removed and replaced with a k mount from a camera?Good luck with your project.
Thanks,
Jake
01-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stone G has the same approach as I would take. Simply put there are a lot of cheap M42 and K mount tele converters out there, and assuming you are not looking to retain infinity focus (after all we are talking macro here any way) adding a modified teleconverter which went Female K to Male M42 and was 20mm thick is not at issue.

I couuld probably make one out of the bits I have lying around for my bellows, but with 15 M42 lenses I don't feel the need to make my bellows K mount compatible although I could then use another 15 lenses with it

Seriously though, I can see this approach for a ton of different lenses, specificlly if you find a rather nice nikon or canon FD macro lens, , same as buying an adaptor from Nikon or canon to PK with no glass in it. who cares when it is macro

05-30-2012, 04:42 AM   #20

I have a different question about an M42 bellows.

I have an M42 bellows the female end of which takes an M42 lens, as it is intended to do and I want to attach another lens to the other end (the male end) which by rights is intended to screw into the camera body. Ideally I want an adaptor ring which is M42 female on both sides so as to convert the male end to a female end.
Another possible solution would be a ring which is M42 female on one side and has a male 49mm filter thread on the other. That could be used to attach the lens to the bellows by the filter thread. Does anyone know of such an accessory [I know rings are readily available that are M42 male on one side and have the male 49mm filter thread on the other]?

I would rather have a proper manufactured article but failing that I wonder if glueing two M42 extension rings together back to back i.e. male to male would be sturdy enough? Anyone had any experience of this?

I also have Leica thread enlarging lenses which could be used if I can get an M42 female on one side and Leica female on the other. That would perhaps be the best solution of all but I doubt that such a thing is made.

PS BTW yeatzee your insect pictures are really impressive. Did you set up the pictures or stalk the subjects?
What lens did you take them with and what lighting did you use?
05-30-2012, 02:23 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Have you searched eBay for M42 REVERS* RING? My head's too fuzzy to sort through the results now; maybe you'll find the right one(s). Also, one trick for adapting lenses with small diameters (front or rear) to M42 is to get a cheap M42 body cap and cut a hole in it, then insert the lens in the cap. Glue (contact cement) sometimes helps. (Just don't sniff the glue, or your head will be fuzzy, too!)
05-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just since I have not shown it here is my modified Miranda bellows
I can mount Miranda screw mount, M42 lenses, and any T mount at present

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/90010-look-out...-gun-here.html

To answer kendricks question, the rear k mount is a flanged M42 adaptor epoxied to a flat surface. Check glue specifications some acrylics are rated at a shear strength of 2000 pounds per square inch of surface. Not sure the tensile, but that is pretty good also. The real issue with adhesives is what they call the peal mode if your joint can avoid peal you are all set

05-30-2012, 03:14 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Two of these, 39mm-42mm M39 to M42 Lens Mount Step Up Ring Adapter | eBay

and one of these, 42mm-39mm M42-M39 Lens mount Step Down Ring Adapter | eBay

Can be used to create a m42 (female) to m42 (female) coupling ring. The m39 - m42 step-down ring will align the other rings as the epoxy cures.

Dave in Iowa

Even easier, epoxy two of these face to face http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-M42-Lens-to-PK-Adapter-Ring-For-Pentax-K-X-K-7-K...item2a1e388d77

Last edited by newarts; 05-30-2012 at 03:25 PM.
05-31-2012, 01:44 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
Two of these, 39mm-42mm M39 to M42 Lens Mount Step Up Ring Adapter | eBay

and one of these, 42mm-39mm M42-M39 Lens mount Step Down Ring Adapter | eBay

Can be used to create a m42 (female) to m42 (female) coupling ring. The m39 - m42 step-down ring will align the other rings as the epoxy cures.

Dave in Iowa

Even easier, epoxy two of these face to face NEW M42*Lens*to*PK*Adapter*Ring*For*Pentax*K-X*K-7*K-M*K20D | eBay
Brilliant. I'll try the last suggestion first. I have ordered the items via eBay and hope they will not take too long to arrive. I would like to use the set-up to view the transit of Venus.

Thanks, everyone.