Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2011, 01:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Small portable kits for portraits

I request members to share about very small portable kits for portraits while traveling for amateurs like me. I don't want to carry huge stuffs just kinda fold and take thingys.
It need not be a bundle - pls also list anything individual items as well. things like 5-in-1 reflectors. any tiny diffusers for in-body and external flash units (remember I still don't own a external flash yet - will be so atleast for some more time) and ideas, want to carry very little.
Will be interested to know variety of diffusers although I am still to own ext flash

thanks all

07-31-2011, 04:24 AM   #2

a 5n1 is very useful, i've used it on shots like this, and with someone to help you out by holding it, you can do some very nice lighting set-ups, if you don't have someone to hold it for you then get a light stand with a reflector holder.
08-02-2011, 11:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
bumping it up
08-04-2011, 07:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A.seki, thanks for sharing, that was very useful. I had Metz in my mind but did not know what has to go with it. This made it a bit clear but have one question - i will get back shortly as i just read something about the Metz50.

08-04-2011, 12:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A.Seki, as mentioned in my above posting - the question I have is regarding this line '..Like the 44 AF-1, the 50 AF-1 can function as an off-camera wireless slave but it cannot act as a camera-mounted controller for other slaves.' from this site, how do you think this is a limitation as I am not used to external flashes, I don't know how serious is this issue.

And my second question is: since you have mentioned a total cost, is there any place where they offer all that is listed by as a bundle?

cheers
08-04-2011, 12:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This site may have what you are after;
https://www.gadgetinfinity.com/home.php
08-04-2011, 05:45 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Here's my mobile kit:
- 1x Lumiquest SB-III foldable softbox
- 2x Pentax AF540-FGZ Flash
- 2x Frio Coldshoe
- 1x Plastic handle with screw thread matching the bottom of the Frio.
- 1x GorillaPod SLR-Zoom with Ballhead

-N

08-04-2011, 05:47 PM - 1 Like   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've done weddings and location portraiture using quite basic equipment, but it has given me good results quite consistently.

Along with camera and lens(es), this is my typical portable lighting kit: AF540FGZ triggered wirelessly, one shoot-through umbrella, one golden reflective umbrella, one large silver reflective umbrella, flash + umbrella stand + weight (to hold down stand firmly to ground), large reflector (double-sided) with holder for stand.

Some results using this kit:

08-04-2011, 10:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by a.seki Quote
for your question about the wireless slave function, Pentax flashes (or 3rd party flashes for pentax) can be triggered to fire wirelessly (i.e., not attached to camera)

in an wireless P-TTL setting (i.e., the camera calculates optimum flash power and triggers an off camera flash), there exists a master on the camera (to send the "signal") and a slave off camera (to receive).

the Metz cannot act as the master and thus can only act as the slave. so if you have just the Metz, you can either trigger it using the pop-up flash on camera or by using radio triggers. however, if you do decide to use radio triggers, this means no TTL signal is transmitted and you must manually set the power

and for your second question, i do not know of a place to buy the set as a bundle. i basically added to my kit little by little, and thats my estimated cost.
So do you see that inability to do P-TTL as drawback or it doesn't limit our performance? I need to go and read about all these different forms of flash settings since I know nothing on that. (P-TTL, TTL etc)
Secondly, say I am going for Metz50 then can my K-r be able to trigger with it's pop up flash?

thanks once again all for contributing, Ash, Lamented, noah purdy, andrew lang - this is what I call learning from the masters.
08-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery
Well, mostly I get by with a white shoot through umbrella, compact light stand, and an AF360 flash. Those work great for most of I run across. Weights on the light stand are very nice to have on hand though. And I do have wireless triggers that I take out sometimes for the flash as well, if Im going to use multiple, or if its really sunny. I keep running into the issue of Pentax's built in flash controller not firing the strobe in direct sunlight.
08-15-2011, 07:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scribble Quote
Well, mostly I get by with a white shoot through umbrella, compact light stand, and an AF360 flash. Those work great for most of I run across. Weights on the light stand are very nice to have on hand though. And I do have wireless triggers that I take out sometimes for the flash as well, if Im going to use multiple, or if its really sunny. I keep running into the issue of Pentax's built in flash controller not firing the strobe in direct sunlight.
Do you shoot in manual or auto mode - which is more and dear for you.