Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2007, 01:19 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
hahahaha dude you're scaring me now, i did send an email to pentax before so maybe they can help i'm kind of concerned it may be the camera, because when i use my canon a630 i can fill up my 1gb card and still not worry about running low on battery, probably even close to 2gb of pictures ..... and that camera uses the lcd screen for viewing which sucks up a lot of juice

11-26-2007, 07:08 AM   #17
roy
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
pete,
update you're profile to say where you are posting from. it's easier to know where you are. if in the states you can get the rayovac hybrids at walmart or fry's electronics and at battery stores for 4 for <$9.. same as eneloops but less expensive..
11-26-2007, 07:44 AM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by impete82 Quote
hahahaha dude you're scaring me now, i did send an email to pentax before so maybe they can help i'm kind of concerned it may be the camera, because when i use my canon a630 i can fill up my 1gb card and still not worry about running low on battery, probably even close to 2gb of pictures ..... and that camera uses the lcd screen for viewing which sucks up a lot of juice
Pete, don't think too much about it. Just get Eneloop or Rayonac to try first. Use your camera as much as you can while it's still under warranty. You have 1 whole year (or 2 if you are in Canada like me) to test it out. Lots of people have luck with just getting new batteries. I took the advice from various forums and bought 2 sets of eneloop, new charger, and another Maha charger. But I was still frustrated by having to turn camera off and on in between shots. I was about to throw the camera at a wall so I didn't mind not seeing it for few weeks and took it to Penax. I live close enough to drive there.

I want to let you know about this before you waste money on batteries and chargers and still have the same problem.
11-26-2007, 07:53 AM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by impete82 Quote
so i got my new k100d and i put newly charged batteries in and i swear i couldn't have taken more than 40 or 50 photos before they died. i took about 20 or so more after charging and it's half way dead already. are my batteries crap or does the camera like sucking up juice?
Rechargeable batteries and even Lithium non-rechargeable are not that expensive. Just try a different newly charged or new set of one of the other with the camera and see if it's better. If not, something is wrong with the camera.

Rechargeables do not last forever, and I think new sets MIGHT require some cycles before they become fully useable. But I figure yours are not new, and/or you have already tried to re-charge them again.

11-26-2007, 03:26 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ok, i have a k100ds and i am using duracell 2750 (mAh).. i am finding that i am getting 600+ and thats including long exposures,.
11-26-2007, 04:31 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
out of the eneloop and hybrid, which is better? they both seem pretty much the same no? i got a 4 pack or hybrids for $9 but the eneloops an 8 pack, $20 (sale price) ... today i went to couple shops that sell the eneloops and they didnt have them in stock, even when online they said they did ... so i was going to another shop which i called this time to verify they were in stock (that is about a 30min drive in good weather going like 120km/hr) that has them but the darkness, snow/rain and traffic made me go back home, it would have taken me like 2 hours just to get there but then i saw other locations that had like 7 of them which are like less than 10min drive ... errrrr i'm going craaaaaaazy ..... sorry, it's been a long day and i need to vent :P tomorrow im getting them so if's and's or but's
11-26-2007, 09:04 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
on a side note, i just purchased some eneloops but the date on the back was june 2006, being a year and half old, does that affect the batteries in anyway?

11-27-2007, 01:25 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Hey Impete82, you never said if the 50 shots you were getting out of your batteries were in one session, or was there a period in between sessions. The reason I ask is because I did a lot of testing on several makes of rechargeable batteries. The first generation of NI-MH batteries suffered from high internal discharge problems. They seem to have got a handle on it now (I believe that they are spouting 6 months charge retention) previously I found some would lose 50% in a week if used and then let sit. I complained to Panasonic and they set me up with a complete replacement (new charger, and 16 batteries). They also gave me a dozen of their non rechargeable Oxiride batteries.
The problem that I do not like with rechargeable batteries is that most only offer a start voltage threshold of 1.25 VDC. The cut off for most cameras (low battery sensing is 1.1 VDC). During a current surge (like charging the capacitor for the camera's built in flash unit, or transmitting data, writing to the memory card) The internal voltage drop that occurs within the battery pushes even a fairly new set of charged batteries dangerous close to the low battery accepted level. The Oxiride batteries offer an initial voltage of 1.7 VDC. They seem to have great punch. The draw back is that they are disposable (sorry environment). They cost around $1.20 each. I have managed to get 500+ shots out of a set. They charge my 360 flash units in about half the time.
I would recommend that you try another set of rechargeable batteries and make sure that they are the newest version / generation (oh and you will most likely have to buy a new charger to match as the first generation charges are not recommended). The charging characteristic of batteries is generally voltage level (constant or step), or current tail off. With the NI-MH the best chargers drain the batteries completely and then charge based on a time related formula (input X amount of total energy - performed over a fixed period of time).
11-28-2007, 09:27 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
it drained my batteries withen a day..... i took a few shots, went to eat and stuff, then more shoots and batteries were drained

strangly enough, i've taken around 50 shots today and it still says full battery.... i dont know what happened but so far so good *knock on wood* :P
11-29-2007, 09:29 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I picked up a set of rechargable energizer e2's with charger and car charger for $28 including tax yesterday

I'll see how they stand up to my mexico trip
I have some ceap recharables, as long as I dont use the preview, they will last about 500 shots....if i turn continious focus on...350ish

hopefully these are better
11-29-2007, 11:23 AM   #26
kay

Eneloops in my K100D, Duracell 2650mAh in my flashguns. The Eneloops last so long I forget when I charged them last.
11-29-2007, 11:48 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i called the store where i bought the camera from and they recommended at least 2700 strength batteries, and i heard there were 2700 eneloops, but can only find the 2000's ..... is 2000 strength everyone is recommending on here? or the 2700's?
11-29-2007, 12:53 PM   #28
Inactive Account

the rechargeables i have, one set of duracell and one of eneloops, both drained extremely quickly after the first time i charged them. the next charge on both lasted well into the 400-500 shot range. now, as stated earlier, i cant remember the last time i charged them.

the one significant difference is if you use the usb cable to transfer images to a pc. this can drain batteries quickly if you keep the camera on while viewing.
11-29-2007, 01:47 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
you guys are awesome ... much appreciated for the help

i use a card reader .... so no juice wasted there, plus i hate having my camera connected to the pc cause once my foot tangled up in the cord and the camera fell to the ground, and same happened to the card reader..... i'd rather have the $20 reader fall vs the $600 camera :P
11-29-2007, 04:52 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got one of the "bad batches" of K100Ds. I bought mine right when they first came out. The problem seems to be that the camera thinks that the batteries are out when the voltage drops just a little. I bought a set of Eneloops and the problem went away because it seems that Eneloops can maintain a more constant voltage than regular NiMH.